News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

I prefer the old logo, too. You can still find it in a few places that haven't been updated and hopefully never will be.

I may be misremembering, but I used to work in one of the upper floors of Scotia Plaza in the mid-1990s, and I believe that for a while there was a hotel within the high rise component of the office tower, between the middle and the top. I think it was one or two floors, sort of an executive high end hotel. I have vague recollections that it was brought in as a tenant when the leasing market for office space was a bitsketchy, and it was a case of "anything to fill the space." Does anyone else recall this?
Sometimes corporations will have their own on site hotel for visitors. When I worked for Bell, they did.

A 3 story hotel inside an office building :)

Think about that for a second ... there's a much more likely explanation - fairmont is just another company after all ;)

Exactly. The most likely explanation is that Fairmont is leasing office space like any other tenant.

January 5 2009 update

North View
IMG_3079.jpg

Slanted Window Feature seen from Simcoe Street
IMG_3080.jpg

Northwest View
IMG_3081.jpg

I may be misremembering, but I used to work in one of the upper floors of Scotia Plaza in the mid-1990s, and I believe that for a while there was a hotel within the high rise component of the office tower, between the middle and the top. I think it was one or two floors, sort of an executive high end hotel. I have vague recollections that it was brought in as a tenant when the leasing market for office space was a bitsketchy, and it was a case of "anything to fill the space." Does anyone else recall this?

I remember that as well. It must have been a great place for the executives to have a quick "meeting".

Great pics Solaris... this one has turned out fantastically!!

Neither this, nor the gold RBC HQ are the tallest, but they sure are up there in quality... if not at the top.

I remember that as well. It must have been a great place for the executives to have a quick "meeting".
Found it - "The Camberley Club Hotel: Located on the 28th and 29th floor of the Scotia Plaza. We're in the center of the Cities Core. Providing 54 Luxurious Suites, Perfect For the Business Traveller Yet Quite and Romantic For Our Weekend Travellers. Our Suites Are Large and Spacious With 6 Foot Jacuzzi Bath Tubs. The Hotel is Fashioned in Classic Old English Decore Which Provides a Great Place To Do Business Yet is Very Warm and Friendly As Well." (grammer/spelling errors courtesy the third rate out of date hotel room booking website).

Very swanky, and no longer in business. But I think taal is right about Fairmont in RBC - they are just an office tenant.

Toronto is Fairmont's home base after all... anyone know if their offices are currently in the Royal York itself? Or somewhere else in town?

Was wondering the same thing. Another victim of the Cheapening(TM)?

I was curious about that myself, but after looking at one of the renders, I realized that the white glass wasn't planned to wrap around the entire front of the podium in the first place.

I was curious about that myself, but after looking at one of the renders, I realized that the white glass wasn't planned to wrap around the entire front of the podium in the first place.

Have another look:

2n85s1c.jpg

Courtesy of arroway on Flickr

There's a much larger rendering posted further back in the thread but I was too lazy to search for it.

Have another look:

2n85s1c.jpg

Courtesy of arroway on Flickr

There's a much larger rendering posted further back in the thread but I was too lazy to search for it.

Right. The podium is framed by a very thin white material, but it's certainly not the same thick slab of glass on the left side.

Back