News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 872     0 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

Only slightly smaller that Millenium Park in Chicago. Similar size, similar concept. Would be nice to have a similar funding model. Westons, McCains, Schwartzes, Rogerses, banks: open your pockets.

I'm floored this is being proposed as pure parkland. If there were proposed development parcels mixed in with this and it was paid by the developers, I could believe it. But a standalone park? Please, show me the money. We have over $20 billion in unfunded projects as is, and we want to tack on another billion to build downtown parkland? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a worthy investment, but I also believe it is lower on the priority list compared to other outstanding items.

I love the idea, but how will it be funded?

Development will probably integrated into the scheme to cover at least some of the costs.

I'm floored this is being proposed as pure parkland. If there were proposed development parcels mixed in with this and it was paid by the developers, I could believe it. But a standalone park? Please, show me the money. We have over $20 billion in unfunded projects as is, and we want to tack on another billion to build downtown parkland? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a worthy investment, but I also believe it is lower on the priority list compared to other outstanding items.
It wouldn't be too diffucult to imagine the Bathurst Yard being partially acquired and south side of Front being opened up to mid-rise development.

I've been waiting for this announcement my whole life! Every tme I walk down on that strech of Front Street I can't help but imagine the potential. Nice to see the city recognizing that potential. Bring it on!

How much of the rest of the rail yard could be decked over like this, even if were for development? I've long thought that the main barrier to the waterfront is not the Gardiner but the railways, and decking over the whole shebang would make a huge difference in connectivity to the south.

Regarding funding, presumably the city could spend enough to acquire the air rights to build over the rail yards without immediately having to spend the amount needed to actually build the thing. I wonder if the commercial project that is decking the rail yards to the east was an impetus, making the city realize that if they wanted to do the same thing, they would need to act.

The second sentence doesn't make the first true...

I'll explain further to help you understand. We have crucial transit projects that are unfunded or underfunded that are more important than a new park. Once we have the DRL paid for I'll be happy to see this happen.

If that fund has enough money to fund the bulk of this project, that would be great.

Probably not for the entirety of the project, but then again this project from the sound of it was meant to be done in piecemeal. The important thing at this stage is have the proposal as an "intent" and make the planning arrangements necessary to enable it.

AoD

Back