DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This looks to me as though we ARE getting a new park:

Media Advisory

August 2, 2016

Mayor Tory to make major park announcement

Mayor John Tory and Toronto City Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 20 Trinity-Spadina) will announce a major park initiative for Toronto.

This initiative is part of the City's TOcore project, a response to the rapid growth and intensification of Toronto's downtown that is placing pressure on physical and social infrastructure.

Considering the announcement location is this going to be in the Entertainment District?

Media Advisory

Date: Wednesday, Aug. 3
Time: 12.30 p.m.
Location: Northwest corner of Iceboat Terrace and Queen's Wharf Rd.

Even if the park costs something like $80 million to acquire the city has something like $300 million in park reserves from projects and doesn't seem to really know how to spend it.

Considering the announcement location is this going to be in the Entertainment District?

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing given the location listed in the MA that this may be an announcement tied to the construction of the new facilities and public space at Cityplace rather than the park that's been discussed on this thread. Could be wrong, though.

Wow! Didn't see that coming.

Screen shot 2016-08-03 at 12.22.35 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-08-03 at 12.22.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-08-03 at 12.22.35 PM.png
    422.9 KB · Views: 7,816
Didn't see that coming

Indeed - and this is actually west of the MTCC lands, which have decking plans of its' own as well. The potential of all that cannot be overstated.

I am skeptical as to how something like this could be funded given the lack of development sites to pay for it - and this section of the rail corridor is far wider than the bit closer to Union.

AoD

I am skeptical as to how something like this could be funded given the lack of development sites to pay for it - and this section of the rail corridor is far wider than the bit closer to Union.

The recently announced Barrie Line stop goes here doesn't it? If you assume that station will have an accessible green roof, then it's a start.

Toss in $20M in Section 37 funds, and another $50M for Front Street Extension funds, and maybe that gets much of the rest?

Last edited:
The recently announced Barrie Line stop goes here doesn't it?

If you assume this is a 30 year plan and that station will have an accessible green roof, that's part way there.

That's what I *thought*, but it's only the Barrie line that's proposed to have a stop there. It can play the support column role I suppose.

As to funding, some suggested the massive multi-hundred million park fund could be used as well - though that's a city-wide total. Now if only Oxford's MTCC redevelopment go ahead and finishes up the section between Simcoe and Blue Jay's Way - we'd have a greenway. Too bad the Union shed/atrium isn't anything like the SF Transbay Transit Center.

AoD

Last edited:
That's what I *thought*, but it's only the Barrie line that's proposed to have a stop there. It can play the support column role I suppose.

As to funding, some suggested the massive multi-hundred million park fund could be used as well - though that's a city-wide total.

AoD

This is Toronto. We practically invented announcing unfunded projects. I'm not yet getting my hopes up, though I like that it's at least being planned.

Back