News   Apr 25, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 556     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

A reminder that we could have had Patrick Brown as premier.

Its worth saying that only really looks good by way of comparison to who we ended up with as Premier.

PB was almost certainly 'knifed' by fellow Conservatives and hit with allegations that were at least somewhat exaggerated or misrepresented.

However, his assent to power in the party was also not free of controversy; his political past, suggestive of an opportunist and chameleon.

It is truly unfortunate that all of that sounds like an upgrade on our current situation.

The platform he was set to run was infinitely more sensible than what Mr. Ford passed off as one.

Though I'm less than fully convinced it would have been fully honoured.

^I was thinking that too whilst reading that article.

I'm on Brown's side. I think he was ousted by the crotchety anti-social bags in the party. Seems to be the case, I haven't much proof to go on.

We could have had a decent government, but it seems a lot of the party establishment weren't interested in a fresh and more liberal approach.

Sucks to be us. We're stuck with an illiberal band of wannabe autocrats instead.

I guess they didn't take kindly to Brown trying to wrest control of the party from its more illiberal members of prominence.

Is there a similar regulation in regards to alcohol shops?

Nope. Why not? The social dangers of alcohol make ganja look like a cup of Earl Grey tea.

If alcohol can be sold within 150m of schools, why shouldn't ganja be allowed in similar proximity?

Get this: one can buy weed at school.

The proximity regulation was always hypocritical and irrational pandering to the ignorant War on Drugs busybody morality goon squad.

Good riddance.

Now only if they'd get rid of irrational drugs policy altogether.

Lol, just kidding.....better to have murderous criminals in charge of the whole enterprise. It's more exciting that way....or whatever the mentally stunted rationale is.

'
Not surprising.
Is there a similar regulation in regards to alcohol shops?

Nope. Why not? The social dangers of alcohol make ganja look like a cup of Earl Grey tea.

If alcohol can be sold within 150m of schools, why shouldn't ganja be allowed in similar proximity?

Get this: one can buy weed at school.

The proximity regulation was always hypocritical and irrational pandering to the ignorant War on Drugs busybody morality goon squad.

Good riddance.

Now only if they'd get rid of irrational drugs policy altogether.

Lol, just kidding.....better to have murderous criminals in charge of the whole enterprise. It's more exciting that way....or whatever the mentally stunted rationale is.

I liked both of these posts and don't see that as a contradiction. The former calls out hypocrisy and duplicity; while the latter decries stupidity.

Wait, I completely forgot......there is at least a proximity regulation in regards to nicotine product sales near schools.

Oh, no, wait, there isn't. Probably because nicotine is a highly addictive substance and ganja isn't. Makes sense.

Who takes these people seriously? I feel like I'm being trolled by the most dangerous trolls ever. The War on Drugs Morality Trolls leave a wake of destoyed lives in the form of dead and imprisoned everywhere they implement their corrupt morality.

Gunshots in our streets, whole Latin American countries barely habitable for the murders, lack of harm reduction leading to overdose deaths due to impurities, kids imprisoned and saddled with criminal records for selling plant material.

And we're supposed to be worried about proximity to schools?
Oi, society, your priorities are fucked.

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-pc-fall-economic-outlook-cuts-tax-lcbo-1.4906718

Some of the new measures included in the province's plan are:
  • Tax credit, known as LIFT, for low-income workers earning around $30,000 per year. According to the government, a full-time minimum wage worker would pay no provincial income tax and save as much as $850 each year for a single person or $1700 for households with two eligible workers. It is set to take effect on Jan. 1, 2019.
  • Exempting new rental units from rent control, which the government says will encourage developers to build more affordable housing.
  • Cutting the number of legislative officers from nine to six. CBC Toronto previously reported that would include the environmental commissioner, child and youth advocate and French language commissioner positions. This will be done with new legislation introduced on Thursday.
  • Cancelling a planned surtax on some of the highest-earning Ontarians proposed by the previous Liberal government in their last budget that would have generated $275 million in revenue.
  • Cancelling a proposed French-language university.
Silver lining being the exemption from rent control in new rental units.

I wonder what's the fine print around the low income tax cut is - actual full-time work at minimum wage isn't nearly as common as multiple part-time jobs.

Fall Economic Statement 2018: Details can be found on the gov't page here:

Details to follow

Wrong link!

AoD

Last edited:
Signature Items:

New tax credit to eliminate provincial income tax for those making at or below $30,000 in income. Value to someone exactly at 30k in earnings $850 per year.

Tax credit phases out for single earners at $38,500 (credit value drops by $100 for each $1,000 earned over $30,000)

They are also eliminating the surtax for high-income earning introduced in the last budget.

Hydro rates to drop a further 12%.

Thunder Bay Generation Station to close (only operated 2.5 days last year)

Deficit projected at 14.5B for the current fiscal year.

This number will be lower.

Here's a good one (seriously)
The Province is providing funding to expand the scope and coverage of Rapid Access Addiction Medicine (RAAM) clinics for individuals with substance abuse issues that require specialized, evidenced-based addiction medicine support by creating new or expanded RAAMs in communities of high need.

Province moving to restart GTA West Highway EA

New Rental construction will again be exempt from rent control

LCBO, Beer Store and other alcohol retail hours expanded to (up to) 9am-11pm, 7 days per week. I must admit, I like this one.

Car insurance rates will not longer vary by address of the owner.

Also look for regulatory permission for electronic proof of insurance (the beginning of the end of the pink paper)

Lots of 'more to come' promises, including social assistance reform being detailed next week, ontario drug benefit program review, comprehensive housing supply plan (spring 2019), and review of Northern ON transportation including rail , no specifics or dates

Last edited:
Predictably, everyone I see on social media is talking about LCBO. Even the more progressive circles I'm in that I would have thought would be crying about rent control and the tax changes.

I am 100% for the extended LCBO hours, but it hasn't ceased to amaze me this year how much success our Premier has had with distracting the population with alcohol. Even more disturbing as Druggie is a teetotaller. My uncle used to tell me as a kid, "never trust a man who doesn't drink" and I think that is fine advice here. (and no, Winston Churchill is not my uncle, my uncle just happens to be Polish.)

I like a few things, but overall this isn't good.

The reduction in rent control along with reductions in government oversight are big problems.

They can complain about the Liberals mishandling of the budget, but we're going to have to pay for a 12% reduction in hydro rates at some point.

It's amazing how this new brand of Conservatives always seem to find 'savings' off the back our most vulnerable members of society.

Back