News   Apr 25, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Something that I think slipped under the notice of many in the last few days.............

The government has decided to let Infrastructure Ontario (IO) begin marketing its services outside Ontario as a procurement/project manager to other jurisdictions.

In general, I'm in favour of this sort of thing, globally, that is to say, why reinvent the wheel when another government has done the heavy lifting for you and knows how to do 'x' well.

Hire Montreal to advise on snow removal, hire TTC to talk about multi-modal transit integration, hire Sick Kids to design/operate pediatric hospitals, hire MTR of Hong Kong to marry transit with Transit-Oriented Development and so on.

That said.......I do wonder about political/financial liability if a provincial crown agency actively manages projects outside its home jurisdiction..........
I think there's more to this than at first appears. I'll try and add detail and reference later, but there's an existential threat to IO from the Canada Infrastructure Bank. We'll see what Morneau announces, but you've touched on an issue close to my heart. And it gives me palpitations.
[...]
John M. Beck, Executive Chairman of Aecon Group, said: "We commend the Government of Ontario's strategic initiative to promote the province's expertise in P3 project delivery. This initiative will undoubtedly provide Ontario-based businesses with a competitive edge in key international markets." [...]
I chuckle, as Mr Beck gets tickled...
If only they thought about that with Hydro One...oh wait.
The hypocrisy is astounding. What investor of any worth and awareness is going to buy into Ontario Gov't directed projects? Crosslinx has a few points to make on that. Via court action. Invest in Canada? Absolutely.

Invest in Ontario via federally regulated and partnered projects? Absolutely. Invest in a regime with a pompous meddler who hasn't a clue as to what expertise is worth? It's a no-brainer...pun fully intended.

This is more about Darwin than Godwin...

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the Hillier statement not yet getting much media traction? I think that's a pretty serious accusation he's throwing out there........it would seem to merit a few microphones in the face of the Premier and his staff!

Is it just me or is the Hillier statement not yet getting much media traction? I think that's a pretty serious accusation he's throwing out there........it would seem to merit a few microphones in the face of the Premier and his staff!

He insinuated something is wrong (as in criminally wrong) without providing specifics or evidence - it will require both for a real case to be made even in the court of public opinion.

AoD

Randy Hillier pens open letter to LFK constituents, people of Ontario – levels harsh criticism at inner workings of government

From link.

Randy Hillier has issued an Open Letter to his Constituents and the People of Ontario following his expulsion from the Doug Ford PC Government.

In it he says he and voters in the riding each believed the PC Party would represent a positive change that would benefit everyone in Ontario. He then says it is disheartening to learn that the promised electoral change has not been realized.

Hiller states that when he was first elected in 2007, he pledged to his voters to be their voice and represent the views of the riding in Queens Park, and not just the Party or Premier’s voice in the riding. He promised never to break that pledge, regardless of the penalties or punishment.

He says the last few weeks have reinforced his convictions with the outpouring of support he has received since being suspended from caucus in February.

He is also taking several shots at Premier Doug Ford and his Government, alleging it has become clear that the backroom operatives took advantage of many of the newly elected MPPs who were not as well informed of parliamentary practices, rights privileges, or conventions.

Hillier alleges he was informed by one of those operatives, Den French, after the June election at a BBQ at the Ford residence that he wanted him out of caucus, and for the following seven months he accuses French and Chris Froggatt of engaging in an “underhanded and relentless campaign to achieve that end.”

Hillier also outlines in the letter why he believes he was kicked out, including not asking permission to attend his brother’s funeral.

He says that he was told if he was to be a team member he could come back, and claims “Even when the government is in violation of the law or engaged in unlawful activity, I must accept these decisions as a team member and neither dissent in caucus nor speak publicly of these illegal/unlawful actions.”

Hillier says he refused because having conviction is more important than playing politics. “That representation of my constituents is more important than being buddies with backroom operatives whose only mission is unrestrained power and control that always leads to corruption. I am now your conservative, independent, Member for Lanark, Frontenac, Kingston, and I continue to be proud to represent you.”

Here is the complete letter:

An Open Letter to my Constituents and the People of Ontario
It is the fundamental and over-arching first principle of all elected representatives to support their constituents to the best of their ability each and every day. If that is not the first thought of every single elected member each morning then they ought to reflect upon why they serve.
I feel deeply for my supporters and constituents who, like me, shared a belief that the PC Party was deserving of an electoral mandate and voted accordingly. We each believed the PC Party would represent a positive change that would benefit everyone in Ontario.
For twelve years, and through four elections, my constituents have stood with me to demand fair, just, and honest government. It is disheartening to learn that the promised electoral change has not been realized. When I was first elected in 2007, I pledged that I would be their voice and represent the views of the riding in Queens Park, and not just the Party or Premier’s voice in the riding.
I will never break that pledge, regardless of the penalties or punishment.
The last few weeks have not weakened, but instead, have reinforced my convictions with the incredible outpouring of support demonstrating our shared belief in freedom, justice, and democracy.
The PC Caucus was blessed with the election of many new and fresh faces in the June General Election. However, it has become clear that the backroom operatives took advantage of many of the newly elected members who, not being as well informed of parliamentary practices, rights privileges, or conventions, were taken advantage of by Dean French and Chris Froggatt.
Like many people, I had high hopes and expectations with the election of a PC government after 15 years of Liberal mismanagement, scandals, and harmful policies. I could not stand by and tolerate operatives engaging in similar and more egregious acts.
My very first private meeting with Dean French after the June election was at a BBQ at the Ford residence on August 2. During our conversation Dean informed me that he “wanted me out of caucus”. For the following seven months Dean French and Chris Froggatt engaged in an underhanded and relentless campaign to achieve that end.
I have been condemned and expelled from caucus, according to these backroom operatives, for the following reasons:
  1. My refusal to breach oath of office;
  2. My refusal to accept the obstruction and prevention of caucus criticism or input on public policy;
  3. Demanding Members be permitted to engage in debate and committee examinations;
  4. My refusal to obtain permission to speak with the media;
  5. My priority to place a higher duty to converse, discuss and meet my constituents, rather than attending the party convention.
  6. My refusal not to stand and applaud for the routine, (only outstanding performance ought to be recognized as such, or applauding has no meaning);
  7. For advancing improvements for the committee I chaired to hear regulatory concerns from Industry, constituents, and stakeholders to implement the government’s commitment to reduce redtape, I was accused of conducting a “power play against the Premier” ;
  8. My refusal to do a video supporting the government’s use of the notwithstanding clause;
  9. For raising concerns of possible illegal and unregistered lobbying by close friends and advisors employed by Premier Ford;
  10. My involvement in the creation of a bi-partisan Parliamentary Reform Committee to discuss improvements of legislative practices.
Furthermore, I was also condemned for not seeking “permission” to attend my brother’s funeral. This, to me, is the most egregious act. It undermines me as a person and thereby undermines all Ontarians by putting party politics above compassion and respect.
These outrageous demands and distortions/corruption of my responsibilities culminated with the following condition of reinstatement to the PC caucus. Even when the government is in violation of the law or engaged in unlawful activity, I must accept these decisions as a team member and neither dissent in caucus nor speak publicly of these illegal/unlawful actions.
I want to assure all of my constituents, regardless of political affiliation, that my removal from the PC Party Caucus will neither prevent nor impede my ability to represent each one of you to the best of my ability. I have never put the party line ahead of my constituents, and my removal from caucus will permit me greater freedom to speak publicly on government policy.
Having conviction is more important than playing politics, that representation of my constituents is more important than being buddies with backroom operatives whose only mission is unrestrained power and control that always leads to corruption. I am now your conservative, independent, Member for Lanark, Frontenac, Kingston, and I continue to be proud to represent you.

Ford knows he has a hostile caucus, but a disorganized one can be controlled. Going after Hillier is all about taking down any potential leadership rivals.

Only time will tell if this strategy backfires (hint - it will).

The guy who ran a criminal enterprise as a teen is being accused of running the province like a criminal enterprise as an adult?!

If… If only we’d seen this coming.

Doug & Rob got rapped on their knuckles several times by the integrity commissioner when accused and found guilty of conflict of interest and illegal lobbying. So nothing has changed. He may have changed locations, but the smell of rotting onions remains.

I look forward to more from Hillier.

Also, is anyone else paying attention to the UCP meltdown? It reminds me of the PC infighting, only they haven't won yet.

Back