News   May 06, 2024
 85     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 621     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 555     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

That's pretty much what happens now.
Agreed by a number of secondary teacher friends. Some teachers are far more stringent in laying down the law than others. And it will continue much along the same path unless accommodation is made to support those teachers who do enforce a ban.

Doug Ford's Government Won't Scrap Any Topics From Liberal Sex Ed Curriculum
The premier previously promised to dump the curriculum, which he said was based on Liberal ideology.

From link.

Ontario's Progressive Conservative government will keep consent, sexting, same-sex relationships and gender identity in its new health curriculum, but will shift some lessons to different grades.

"The Liberals used our classrooms to conduct social experiments on our children," Minister of Education Lisa Thompson told reporters at the Ontario Science Centre Friday.

"We did what the Liberals were afraid to do ... We threw the doors open to real, meaningful public and parental input," she said, unveiling the new health and physical education plan and other changes to class sizes and funding.

Premier Doug Ford promised to repeal the previous government's sex education curriculum, which he said was "based on ideology," during last spring's election campaign. Shortly after taking office, his government scrapped the updated lesson plans and left teachers to use an interim curriculum while they re-did consultations.

The new PC plan includes all the topics that generated controversy when former premier Kathleen Wynne first introduced the updated curriculum in 2015.

The Liberal curriculum introduced Grade 3 students to the concepts of same-sex relationships and transgender identities while learning that differences make people and families unique.

Now, students will first learn about sexual orientation in Grade 5 and gender identity in Grade 8. Grade 1 students will still learn the proper names for genitalia; Consent will be introduced in Grade 2; Sexting will be introduced in Grade 7.

Thompson said the biggest complaint her government heard during their consultation was that topics were not age appropriate.

"We've addressed that and we're moving forward," she said.

Parents who disagree will be able to take their child out of class for those lessons, the minister said. Parents could always do that.

Thompson hinted that she knows social conservatives, who protested the Liberal curriculum and have protested her government for not repealing enough of it, won't be happy.

"We know not everyone will agree with every single part of our plan,' she said at the announcement.

"I did not come here today to rehash the campaign. I came here today to deliver an education plan that works for Ontario."

Opposition MPP Marit Stiles said she found the changes to sex education concerning.

"I think we should be making sure our students are safe and supported in their classrooms as early as possible," Stiles told reporters.

"I'm going to be looking for the details of what's going to be taught."

To show "age appropriateness", the PC's changing the age of the students/grades the curriculum will be taught.

Last edited:
This doesn't even appear to be about towing the party line so much as Hillier not kissing Thug Ford's gigantic ass to Thug Ford's satisfaction.

Edited to add: I'm not fan of Hillier, but Ford is (ostensibly) an adult, for fuck's sake. Is his ego really that much in need of constant gratification?

This doesn't even appear to be about towing the party line so much as Hillier not kissing Thug Ford's gigantic ass to Thug Ford's satisfaction.

Edited to add: I'm not fan of Hillier, but Ford is (ostensibly) an adult, for fuck's sake. Is his ego really that much in need of constant gratification?

Hillier reminds me of some of those "true" Preston Manning Reform populists who sought to put their constituents ahead of top-down party edicts (cf Chuck Cadman)--I think Bill Murdoch played a similar role in the Mike Harris era, though Harris wasn't nearly so banana-republic in demanding trained-seal behaviour from his MPPs...

Political parties in Canada demand a lot of loyalty from their elected representatives, especially compared to the amount of defections that happen in the US and UK. There is no way that a dozen MP's from any governing party would reject a bill like those GOP senators did against Trump this week, or those overwhelming Brexit defeats for Theresa May.

Hillier reminds me of some of those "true" Preston Manning Reform populists who sought to put their constituents ahead of top-down party edicts (cf Chuck Cadman)--I think Bill Murdoch played a similar role in the Mike Harris era, though Harris wasn't nearly so banana-republic in demanding trained-seal behaviour from his MPPs...

It is really quite pathetic to see some people who would usually be rational worship him like some kind of god. My MPP is one of those clapping seals, though she is a newbie and probably wants to keep her job.

Political parties in Canada demand a lot of loyalty from their elected representatives, especially compared to the amount of defections that happen in the US and UK. There is no way that a dozen MP's from any governing party would reject a bill like those GOP senators did against Trump this week, or those overwhelming Brexit defeats for Theresa May.

It is really quite pathetic to see some people who would usually be rational worship him like some kind of god. My MPP is one of those clapping seals, though she is a newbie and probably wants to keep her job.

My PC MPP is a young whelp who just doesn't seem to know any better. I wonder if Ford had one of those round tables like Trump did with his WH minions where each one in rote pledged undying loyalty and gratitude to the leader.

It's incredible, isn't it? Dofo actually makes a brute like Mike Harris look good. I only just realized that. Compared to Ford, Mike Harris looks good...Well, less bad, at any rate.

I'm guessing most of them are going along for entirely cynical reasons.

Watching a piece on Hermann Göring last night. I've been wondering where I've seen DoFo's face before. But there is a massive difference: Göring was a much brighter man, even if they were similar in so many other ways.

Watching a piece on Hermann Göring last night. I've been wondering where I've seen DoFo's face before. But there is a massive difference: Göring was a much brighter man, even if they were similar in so many other ways.
Score one for Godwin.

Something that I think slipped under the notice of many in the last few days.............

The government has decided to let Infrastructure Ontario (IO) begin marketing its services outside Ontario as a procurement/project manager to other jurisdictions.

In general, I'm in favour of this sort of thing, globally, that is to say, why reinvent the wheel when another government has done the heavy lifting for you and knows how to do 'x' well.

Hire Montreal to advise on snow removal, hire TTC to talk about multi-modal transit integration, hire Sick Kids to design/operate pediatric hospitals, hire MTR of Hong Kong to marry transit with Transit-Oriented Development and so on.

That said.......I do wonder about political/financial liability if a provincial crown agency actively manages projects outside its home jurisdiction..........

Something that I think slipped under the notice of many in the last few days.............

The government has decided to let Infrastructure Ontario (IO) begin marketing its services outside Ontario as a procurement/project manager to other jurisdictions.

In general, I'm in favour of this sort of thing, globally, that is to say, why reinvent the wheel when another government has done the heavy lifting for you and knows how to do 'x' well.

Hire Montreal to advise on snow removal, hire TTC to talk about multi-modal transit integration, hire Sick Kids to design/operate pediatric hospitals, hire MTR of Hong Kong to marry transit with Transit-Oriented Development and so on.

That said.......I do wonder about political/financial liability if a provincial crown agency actively manages projects outside its home jurisdiction..........

If only they thought about that with Hydro One...oh wait.

AoD

Back