News   Apr 25, 2024
 82     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 294     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 494     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Just to let everyone know, there's also a thread dedicated to the Regional Governance Review for when you want to get into the specifics.

You're in at the office early today! You were posting at after 1am last night! (as you often do); I never expect ya before 10am!

Have you considered sleeping now and again? :p

You're in at the office early today! You were posting at after 1am last night! (as you often do); I never expect ya before 10am!

Have you considered sleeping now and again? :p
I'm always on at 9, just not normally posting right away! There are 8 hours between 1 and 9 you know…

So, the details are in on that 10% tuition reduction.

As I anticipated, this comes w/a substantial clawback in what OSAP will provide.

Reduced income eligibility, requiring parental contributions for up to six years post High School instead of 4, trimming the amount available for secondary items.

Of the above I find only one cut that was specified, reasonable. It appears that OSAP would fund purchase of a computer for each grant year, it will no be offered as one-time only purchase assistance. That seems entirely reasonable, if unlikely to be a material savings number.

Also there will be a fund to bail out smaller/northern schools for the tuition rollback.

They also made a big deal about letting students opt out of many ancillary fees. However, when you read the list of fees that can still be mandatory including recreation and capital improvements I wouldn't
expect this to be a windfall for most students either.

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/2019/01/affordability-of-postsecondary-education-in-ontario.html

As I anticipated, this comes w/a substantial clawback in what OSAP will provide.

Reduced income eligibility, requiring parental contributions for up to six years post High School instead of 4, trimming the amount available for secondary items.

Of the above I find only one cut that was specified, reasonable. It appears that OSAP would fund purchase of a computer for each grant year, it will no be offered as one-time only purchase assistance. That seems entirely reasonable, if unlikely to be a material savings number.

Also there will be a fund to bail out smaller/northern schools for the tuition rollback.

They also made a big deal about letting students opt out of many ancillary fees. However, when you read the list of fees that can still be mandatory including recreation and capital improvements I wouldn't

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/2019/01/affordability-of-postsecondary-education-in-ontario.html

The tuition cut was a surprise from this government that said that the same thing but done by the Libs was a "waste of money", when some people who cannot afford tuition actually need a cut. But, DoFo doesn't think anyone but the rich needs a cut anyway..

It all makes perfect sense when contemplating what "Open for Business" really means. It means undercutting Mississippi and Alabama in terms of cost of labour.

Don't need no stinkin' eltist edjukashun none.

Maybe we should make it possible to get jobs without getting an expensive degree?

Let me get this right.

You would like the government to legislate that businesses hire people who aren't qualified for their jobs?

or

You would like an economy dominated by low-paying jobs where no skill is required?

No Thanks, I'll pass.

Post-secondary education of some form will be mandatory for the majority of employment in the entire developed world within 10 years.

You may wish it was otherwise, that changes nothing.

Cashiers will be mostly automated, so will drivers of cabs and trucks, stores will be swept by robots, just like your home may already be..........

The jobs of the future are in designing the self-driving car, designing the robot, coding those same devices etc.

Where service jobs remain it will be because robots can't do that cost-effectively or because people want to experience the emotional warmth of someone doing that job for them.

In such cases, and there will be fewer of them, those jobs will nonetheless involve greater skill and training, some of which may well be post-secondary too!

There is a need to have the opportunist for study in place; indeed more so than what is currently in place; and it needs to be highly affordable to get the required high level of uptake.

Today's announcement is hardly the end of the world but it is a modest step backwards; where one foreward would have been more helpful.

Maybe we should make it possible to get jobs without getting an expensive degree?

I watched an article on either CTV or CBC Atlantic last night that highlighted that the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary had recently dropped their mandatory university degree requirement for applicants and found that the diversity of their applicants has gone up. As well, they are seeing an increase of both older applicants as and applicants coming from other careers like the trades. Rather than getting applicants who have come from high school>university they are getting more with work experience and how to deal with the public. If it's a trend, I like it.

Let me get this right.

You would like the government to legislate that businesses hire people who aren't qualified for their jobs?

or

You would like an economy dominated by low-paying jobs where no skill is required?

No Thanks, I'll pass.

Post-secondary education of some form will be mandatory for the majority of employment in the entire developed world within 10 years.

You may wish it was otherwise, that changes nothing.

Cashiers will be mostly automated, so will drivers of cabs and trucks, stores will be swept by robots, just like your home may already be..........

The jobs of the future are in designing the self-driving car, designing the robot, coding those same devices etc.

Where service jobs remain it will be because robots can't do that cost-effectively or because people want to experience the emotional warmth of someone doing that job for them.

In such cases, and there will be fewer of them, those jobs will nonetheless involve greater skill and training, some of which may well be post-secondary too!

There is a need to have the opportunist for study in place; indeed more so than what is currently in place; and it needs to be highly affordable to get the required high level of uptake.

Today's announcement is hardly the end of the world but it is a modest step backwards; where one foreward would have been more helpful.
I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I want to point out two things. Firstly, too many people are getting degrees with little practical value outside of the "academic sphere" In these cases, the government is subsidising these useless degrees that people should not be encouraged to take. Secondly, there are many jobs that require the knowledge obtained to the university level. However, there are jobs that hire people with university degree that really don't require them to do the job. I have personally worked a few of these myself so I know they exist.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/01/ontario-government-removes-grace-period-student-loan-repayment/

The elimination of the 6-month grace period will hurt students the most.

(and what I am personally most upset about)

Wasn't Ontario Place on the Heritage Site list? Who ordered that Ontario Place be removed? Will Rob Ford's old house be placed on the Heritage Site list, in its place? It's still for sale, see link, at $1,799,000.

Maybe rent out Rob Ford's old house to some out-of-town Progressive Conservative Members of Parliament?

Back