654     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 806     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 615     0 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the question becomes, is Hudak smart enough to back down on canceling the Mississauga LRT to win seats in that battleground zone?

My prediction is no.

You seem to be suggesting that decisions need to be made based purely on political expediency and that not backing away from a principle is "smart".

I actually admire politicians (and there are fewer of them around these days) that state their position and stick to it even if it looks like it is not very popular. He either believes in cancelling lrt or he does not...and if that is his transit plan (ie. shift resources from lrt type plans to subways and regional rail) then that is what he should stick with.

You seem to be suggesting that decisions need to be made based purely on political expediency and that not backing away from a principle is "smart".

I actually admire politicians (and there are fewer of them around these days) that state their position and stick to it even if it looks like it is not very popular. He either believes in cancelling lrt or he does not...and if that is his transit plan (ie. shift resources from lrt type plans to subways and regional rail) then that is what he should stick with.

Hudak's only goal with this is to get himself elected, he does not care about better transit service or saving money, just outright vote buying.

Hudak's only goal with this is to get himself elected, he does not care about better transit service or saving money, just outright vote buying.

and Wynne and her party aren't just the same:confused:. They are easily worst in that department

Last edited:

Oh, for sure, every politician's platform is designed to get them elected. What I hate is when things that are presented as "the right thing to do" get changed very quickly for political expediency. Like when a well thought out and reasoned LRT that is supported by the party in power gets changed quickly to a subway because their candidate is losing a by-election.

So, what I am saying is there is a difference between an advanced notice policy platform/statement saying LRTs will be scrapped and an eve of election decision to cancel an LRT for a subway. The comment I was responding to to was saying that he would be smart to do that if Mississauga voters rebelled against his cancellation plans....I think it would be wrong.

Oh, for sure, every politician's platform is designed to get them elected. What I hate is when things that are presented as "the right thing to do" get changed very quickly for political expediency. Like when a well thought out and reasoned LRT that is supported by the party in power gets changed quickly to a subway because their candidate is losing a by-election.

So, what I am saying is there is a difference between an advanced notice policy platform/statement saying LRTs will be scrapped and an eve of election decision to cancel an LRT for a subway. The comment I was responding to to was saying that he would be smart to do that if Mississauga voters rebelled against his cancellation plans....I think it would be wrong.

Still not quite clear about this, so forgive me if I misinterpreted. If you are comparing it to the gas plant situation, the difference is that the governing Liberals changed THEIR plans. If you are referring to the Scarborough by-election, then I agree half-heartedly. Despite what some claim, there is an argument for extending the Danforth line and it was arguably early enough into the project to make the change.

Perhaps I have been jaded by the Republicans down south, but like their position/obsession with Obamacare, I don't see him backing down on this.

Still not quite clear about this, so forgive me if I misinterpreted. If you are comparing it to the gas plant situation, the difference is that the governing Liberals changed THEIR plans. If you are referring to the Scarborough by-election, then I agree half-heartedly. Despite what some claim, there is an argument for extending the Danforth line and it was arguably early enough into the project to make the change.

I don't want this to be a overly political discussion because I believe modern politics have evolved to the point where all parties do this sort of thing. That said, yes, both of those are examples of what I hate. Both decisions were made just before elections and just because they needed to save votes. In both cases, they did rapid about faces for no reason other than votes.

So, to go back to how this part of this discussion started....if Mr. Hudak's current platform includes, for example, no Mississauga LRT, I would not think it smart if he then changed that if it looked like (and I think this is unlikely anyway) the people of Mississauga were so passionate about their LRT that they would base their vote on this issue.

Hurricane Hazel is interesting. First, she was a pro-car Conservative when she first became mayor. Now, she is a pro-transit Red Tory who is willing to side with the Liberals if Hudak decides to cancel the Hurontario LRT.

I would really hate it if Hudak cancels more much needed transit. He is not that different from his predecessor, Mike "Scissors" Harris and his Uncommon Sense Devolution.

Last edited:
and Wynne and her party aren't just the same:confused:. They are easily worst in that department

The PC's are the ones who go around acting like they are above that and criticize others for doing it, they pretend they are the party of reason and rational decision making, not the desperate populist sloganeering hypocrites that they are.

The PC's are the ones who go around acting like they are above that and criticize others for doing it, they pretend they are the party of reason and rational decision making, not the desperate populist sloganeering hypocrites that they are.

At least be honest and add to what you said that politicians are all the same. The Liberals would do the same.

Hurontario is the busiest corridor in the 905, if any corridor has the ridership for an LRT it's Hurontario. People's ignorance about Peel Region is astounding.

I don't want this to be a overly political discussion because I believe modern politics have evolved to the point where all parties do this sort of thing. That said, yes, both of those are examples of what I hate. Both decisions were made just before elections and just because they needed to save votes. In both cases, they did rapid about faces for no reason other than votes.

So, to go back to how this part of this discussion started....if Mr. Hudak's current platform includes, for example, no Mississauga LRT, I would not think it smart if he then changed that if it looked like (and I think this is unlikely anyway) the people of Mississauga were so passionate about their LRT that they would base their vote on this issue.

TOareaFan, your position on this is coloured by the fact that you are opposed to the Hurontario LRT. Regardless of what you think about that project, think about the stupidity of Hudak's decision for his own purpose: winning the election.

It's not just the Mississauga LRT. Hudak would kill a number of infrastructure projects in the vote-rich, affluent 905 (and affluent, vote-rich KW) and direct it to building subways in the City of Toronto.

Does he want a repeat of this?

2011106-toronto-provincial-votes.jpg

He/she who loses the 905 loses the election. This was true even 20 years ago when the 905 didn't have 1/4 of the provincial population.

TOareaFan, your position on this is coloured by the fact that you are opposed to the Hurontario LRT. Regardless of what you think about that project, think about the stupidity of Hudak's decision for his own purpose: winning the election.

It's not just the Mississauga LRT. Hudak would kill a number of infrastructure projects in the vote-rich, affluent 905 (and affluent, vote-rich KW) and direct it to building subways in the City of Toronto.

Does he want a repeat of this?

2011106-toronto-provincial-votes.jpg

He/she who loses the 905 loses the election. This was true even 20 years ago when the 905 didn't have 1/4 of the provincial population.

The PCs since Harris/Eves seem to have a knack of grabbing defeat from the hands of victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back