362     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 464     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Mr. Hudak was not referring to any specific project outside the GTHA,” a spokesperson in his office said.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...rojects-never-named-for-planned-cancellation/

Isn't Peel inside the GTHA, so wouldn't it's project be cancelled, shows how clueless these people are. They are even misinformed about their own bullshit. Why do we have such useless politicians in Ontario and Canada overall?

“Mr. Hudak was not referring to any specific project outside the GTHA,” a spokesperson in his office said.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...rojects-never-named-for-planned-cancellation/

Isn't Peel inside the GTHA, so wouldn't it's project be cancelled, shows how clueless these people are. They are even misinformed about their own bullshit. Why do we have such useless politicians in Ontario and Canada overall?

Because a majority of our electorate either doesn't pay attention, or doesn't care - and this frustrates me to no end. We have voter turnouts around 50-60% consistently, meaning minority of eligible voters elects our politicians. And when you throw in FPTP in a 3 party system, a minority of actual voters can elect people, which could mean 25 percent of eligible voters can put someone in power.

We need far more people to pay attention at every step of the process - choosing leaders for parties and ridings, etc. If we had more people paying attention (to candidates and seriously looking at their platforms) and better scrutiny of candidates, we'd have better quality candidates and hopefully, more 'adult' debates on controversial topics.

Unfortunately we're living the old adage - You get the government you deserve.

It's how we got Ford, McGuinty and Harper (and if we're not careful, Hudak, but I seriously doubt it) because not enough people are willing to actually research and find info on the topics of the day (transit being a prime example)

No clue what the solution is, but I feel we take democracy for granted in this country these days.

Last edited:
Because a majority of our electorate either doesn't pay attention, or doesn't care - and this frustrates me to no end. We have voter turnouts around 50-60% consistently, meaning minority of eligible voters elects our politicians. And when you throw in FPTP in a 3 party system, a minority of actual voters can elect people, which could mean 25 percent of eligible voters can put someone in power.

We need far more people to pay attention at every step of the process - choosing leaders for parties and ridings, etc. If we had more people paying attention (to candidates and seriously looking at their platforms) and better scrutiny of candidates, we'd have better quality candidates and hopefully, more 'adult' debates on controversial topics.

Unfortunately we're living the old adage - You get the government you deserve.

It's how we got Ford, McGuinty and Harper (and if we're not careful, Hudak, but I seriously doubt it) because not enough people are willing to actually research and find info on the topics of the day (transit being a prime example)

No clue what the solution is, but I feel we take democracy for granted in this country these days.

People who don't vote should still be represented. And let's not forget those who can't vote for whatever reason (not yet a citizen, too young/were too young, disenfranchised etc.). The onus should be shared between citizens and politicians (for which we only have so many choices btw). I would expect representatives from any party, even the ones I don't vote for, to use their brains and take in information objectively and come up with the best solution for the people. These days we have crazy nihilist suicide caucuses who truly don't give a shit, and voting will do nothing to remove them or at the very least, mellow them out a little.

The old adage is not always true and you even outlined several reasons why. The whole "don't vote, can't complain" isn't nuanced enough to factor in terrible voting systems, rogue crack-smoking fail-upwards morons and corrupt Senate appointments for which Canadians have no say in. Not putting a check mark on a piece of paper should not prohibit me from expecting these people to be decent human beings.

Apathetic politicians are just as bad as apathetic citizens.

Here is the PC white paper dealing with transit and other city matters.

http://ontariopc.com/files/cities-white-paper.pdf

Long wordy document that I have only had a chance to scan but it seems to commit to the DRL, Eglinton Crosstown "buried as much as possible" and Sheppard Subway extended to Scarborough City Centre. For non-Toronto proper cities there is the vague promise of "we can make existing public transit more attractive by making it faster, more frequent and more reliable.".....oh yeah, and wifi on GO trains.

Also promises to upload The Allen, The Gardiner and the DVP along with 174 in the Ottawa region.

Seems like a paper written to win votes in the 416 with hope their support in the 905 stays with them.

PC_WhitePaper said:
No new taxes. Create an Ontario Transportation Trust and fund new projects with up to $2 billion a year generated from: reprioritizing the existing long-term capital budget; a dedicated portion of new revenues from a growing economy; selling surplus lands and excess buildings; investment from Ontario and Canadian pension funds; the use of public-private partnerships; and greater commercialization above subway stations

Last edited:
I guess if Hudak thinks LRT takes away space from cars, he's willing to cancel the York Region busways too?

Actually, York Region residents might welcome cancelling the busways.

The Scarborough LRT from Transit City is described as:
street-level, light rail transit line

They could make the case for the Bloor Scarborough extension without using misleading false statements.

I'm glad that Hudak does NOT want to cancel the Eglinton Crosstown. Although "buried as much as possible" could mean fill in the tunnel again I suppose :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back