News   Apr 26, 2024
 788     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 251     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 741     0 

Planned Sprawl in the GTA

Stuck in the past? The continuing popularity of suburban living proves suburbia is still alive and well.

As for expanding the Greenbelt; give the anti-development types their inch...

Stuck in the past? The continuing popularity of suburban living proves suburbia is still alive and well.

As for expanding the Greenbelt; give the anti-development types their inch...

Of course.......inefficient use of space is commendable.

What?

There is more than enough room for development in currently built-up areas.

I would say here in Brampton it seems like there is finally some sort of realization that spamming single detached housing endlessly was a stupid decision.

Because the amount of land is reducing, there is a massive shortage of housing.

I would say over next 10-15 years Brampton will likely transition to more like Mississauga and have a lot more townhouses and small apartment buildings hopefully.

I would say here in Brampton it seems like there is finally some sort of realization that spamming single detached housing endlessly was a stupid decision.

Because the amount of land is reducing, there is a massive shortage of housing.

I would say over next 10-15 years Brampton will likely transition to more like Mississauga and have a lot more townhouses and small apartment buildings hopefully.

I think that it's the same identical realization as Mississauga- a pragmatic economic one.

Areas like Durham Region still have plenty of developable grounds, so they're going to continue riding that train of thought for awhile.

I think that it's the same identical realization as Mississauga- a pragmatic economic one.

Areas like Durham Region still have plenty of developable grounds, so they're going to continue riding that train of thought for awhile.

They can go on then. Every homeowner in Durham who I know can't stop complaining about how high their property taxes are. Their faces! when I tell them it's because their shitty excuse for a planned region is extremely inefficient to service so everything costs more to build and maintain as a unit of per capita expense. Ergo, higher taxes.

But, yeah, go on, eeeeexpaaaand some more. Keep liking that neighbourhood "character" and suburban "charm"....I mean, you are paying for it, may as well enjoy it.

From link and link.

The Real Costs of Suburban Sprawl in One Infographic

sprawlurban.jpg

Halifax found the cost of administering services varied directly in proportion to how far apart homes were spaced. On the rural end, each house sat on a 2.5 acre lot. On the very urban end, there were 92 people dwelling on each acre. Between those two extremes were several development patterns of varying density.

Researchers evaluated how much of a given type of infrastructure — like roads or water mains — is needed for each type of development, then calculated the associated capital and maintenance costs per capita. They also determined how factors like travel distances and population density affected the cost of services like fire fighting.

Wow. Um, that's a touch creepy in the sense that I think it does, indeed, portend the sort of doom that this government "elected for change" has been showing its willingness to submit any and every little piece of policy they disagree with to.

I swear to the universe, if these people make it easier to build inefficiently over some of the world's best farm land then I will have abandoned all hope for even a touch of sanity in the current regime.

Wow. Um, that's a touch creepy in the sense that I think it does, indeed, portend the sort of doom that this government "elected for change" has been showing its willingness to submit any and every little piece of policy they disagree with to.

I swear to the universe, if these people make it easier to build inefficiently over some of the world's best farm land then I will have abandoned all hope for even a touch of sanity in the current regime.
I concur. It is becoming easier and easier to become apathetic to the direction of our province/city-region.

I concur. It is becoming easier and easier to become apathetic to the direction of our province/city-region.
Yo, and we're the young ones.

How messed up is that? The younger generations have given up on what the older ones squandered.
Where's the youthful optimism? Been pissed away by those before us.

Everyone sees through the fraud that is the electoral system, knows they don't have a voice and don't bother.

It's a sad state of affairs.

This is a very interesting post. Earlier this week the G&M profiled a Toronto Mayoral candidate who suggested that housing pricing in Toronto was the result of failed government policies. We've limited development of the inner burbs (referred to as the Yellow-Belt) claiming that any change will be detrimental to the nature of these communities that are based on single family homes surrounded by a lawn. The impact is the population density in these neighborhoods has declined over the past decades, public services are more expensive to maintain on a per capita basis, small businesses struggle because of the relatively fewer buyers, and it is difficult to justify higher-order public transit (like subways) in the yellow-belt so we end off with traffic gridlock on routes into the core.

The policy also raised a moral question on whether it was "fair". Limiting the property available for development has dramatically increased the cost of housing in Toronto. Long-term home owners have realized a huge financial windfall as their property values have soared while new comers to the market are forced into high-rise developments or over-priced houses.

A potential solution is to allow for gentle densification of the Yellow-belt. Permit owners to convert their single family homes into duplex's or triplex's. Allow 4-6 story residences to built on corners that enter into the suburban neighborhoods. For homes that back onto busy streets like McCowan south of Ellesmere, allow for 4-6 story developments where the traffic spills onto the main street.

Another potential implication of limiting the land available for development and the follow-on increase in building costs due to huge land acquisition costs is the quality of the final product. There are complaints across almost all of UT building forum's about the limited amount of creative and high quality architecture in Toronto. I wonder if developers are hard pressed to bring affordable properties to market that are creative and attractive due to cost limitations. Increasing the amount of land available for development will reduce costs to developers and allow them to bring properties to market where more attention and expense is applied to building and design.

Seaton update:

Drove through Seaton last week and I'm here to report that it's the same old suburban rubbish waste of space maze of indistinguishable single-family homes on prime farm land. Don't worry, the Mexicans will feed us!

Carry on.

^ It takes years for these things to get built out. They are naturally going to be rubbish at first as the houses are first built, over time the density will follow and make things better. Hopefully.

But yea - it's always going to be really auto reliant.

Car Culture Cements Suburban Unsustainability

See link.

America’s suburbs are becoming more diverse — economically and racially — but they are still just as dependent and just as unsustainable because of car culture.

A new study just published in the journal Urban Planning reveals that even as the demographics shift, suburbs remain defined by their dependence on driving and low-density development — which then gives suburbanites a distinct political identity.

“Whether supportive of automobility or not, they are locked in an environment and lifestyle that make dependence of the car a necessity,” said study author, Pierre Filion of the University of Waterloo. “Much of the world view of suburban residents is fashioned by what they see through the windshields of their cars.”

Challenges to that dynamic — such as the experience of metro Toronto — have met with backlash, writes Filion. About 175 million Americans live in suburbs. Those areas are key “swing districts” (and, at least in the 2018 midterms, swung Democratic).

Some scholars have predicted a “post-suburban” political landscape as cities become whiter and suburbs more diverse. But Filion says that notion premature.

Toronto has been more progressive than most North American cities about trying to promote density in the suburbs and reduce dependence on driving. But those efforts have had limited success, and in some cases have backfired.

For example, in 2006, Ontario established 25 “urban growth centers” in suburban areas of Toronto. When Filion examined the four most-advanced of those areas, he found that only one was very successful at offering an alternative to car-based suburbia. The other three — former mall sites — were all redeveloped at mostly suburban densities. The land area in each development was between 25 and 40 percent parking. The single site that was successful at becoming more dense — previously low-rise retail — was served by strong transit, including a subway line.

The study showed that increasing use of automobiles resulted in “the normalization of aspects related to unsustainable living,” Paul Ratner wrote in the Big Think. “This lifestyle also makes people more resistant to calls for ‘transformative’ changes that would influence their ‘comfort and convenience,’ said Fillion.”

Suburban resistance to urbanization can take two forms, Filion said: the classic NIMBY (Not in My Backyard) activism against policies that densify the suburbs or challenge the dominance of cars, is one form. NIMBY organizing to oppose zoning changes that would increase urban density have been a major thorn in the side of sustainable development advocates in U.S. cities.

Toronto has seen even more extreme types of suburban political mobilization. The election of former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, a Trumpian figure who ran on a theme of “suburban alienation” and threats to automobility, is an example of the kind of wider populist backlash that can result from perceived threats to the suburban way of life, Filion said.

Ford made frequent reference to a “War on Cars” during his campaign and promised to cancel transit expansion plans. He also frequently suggested that downtown “elites” were unfairly gobbling up resources.

Those kinds of populist appeals were mobilizing for suburban voters, even as Toronto’s suburbs become increasingly racially diverse. Support in Toronto’s outer-suburban areas helped carry Ford to victory, to a much greater degree than his predecessor.

After Ford’s death, his brother Doug was elected Premier of Ontario on a promise to lower the gas tax by 10 cents.

“While the socioeconomic makeup and economic base of the North American suburb are in transition, one of its determining features, accounting for the enduring specificity of this urban environment, remains profoundly embedded,” Filion concluded.

Never forget the ubiquity of car commercials. It's very difficult to find a mainstream radio or television channel not to have them.

"War on Cars" is just a populist myth. There is a much better way to wage wars on cars. The first step is to vote for a progressive politician. Second is to increase taxes on advertising products that directly use fossil fuels. Third is to increase density at transportation nodes. Unfortunately, the NASCAR demographic will fight against progressives just like a certain subset of entertainment software enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Back