News   Jun 17, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 561     0 

Photo Of The Day

A Brand New Queen Station
March 13, 2008
QueenStation.jpg

Architect Joan Burt, one of my Environmental Design teachers at OCA in the early '70s, renovated that block. She's still working, by the way, slowly renovating her way around town.

Is there anything that stops us (aside from it probably not being particularly lucrative) from building in this kind of residential scale now? The exterior materials aren't all that swank (just stucco, right?) but it still builds to create a really lovely street.

Joan sprayed stucco ( well, not Joan personally ... ) all over such row houses, in her renos around town in the late '60s. It was the done thing in those days. And she was the doyenne of grey, bless her. They're probably the usual Don Valley red bricks underneath it all.

Joan also renovated those row houses at 4-28 Belmont Street, also grey with wrought iron work outside. And I think she worked on buildings at Clarence Square too.

On the Buses

E7: That posted pic of Downtown Toronto was quite interesting. Neat stuff!
Yes-I also agree-those GMC buses are now classics literally-how many of them does the TTC still have? LI MIKE

That GM bus design dates back to 1959. GM built those buses from 1959 till the '90's, albeit with some improvements. There are still quite a few around; I was on one this evening on Bay Street. It's a rough ride though, they really rattle - although they do have more charm than the newer models.

I've been told that Chicago's characteristic sodium vapour streetlamps create that field of light effect that very, very clearly outlines the city limits.

EDIT: but I think that Chicago may be bigger than that. It may just be the density of those neighbourhoods.

I've been told that Chicago's characteristic sodium vapour streetlamps create that field of light effect that very, very clearly outlines the city limits.

EDIT: but I think that Chicago may be bigger than that. It may just be the density of those neighbourhoods.

The photo shows the City of Chicago/Cook County (I guess the lights do help). The City only accounts for a small proportion of the Metropolitan Chicago in terms of area size. So ya, there's a lot more than what the photo shows. Still a really great photo.

Looks like it roughly corresponds w/Chicago city limits--and thanks to urban blight et al, a lot of those brightened-up neighbourhoods aren't exactly "dense"...

Looks like it roughly corresponds w/Chicago city limits--and thanks to urban blight et al, a lot of those brightened-up neighbourhoods aren't exactly "dense"...

Further proof that the lights show city limits is that you can clearly pick out Cicero, too.

Back