News   Mar 28, 2024
 102     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 564     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 358     0 

Peterborough Commuter Rail

This is certainly nothing but good news for the good people of Peterborough. This said I think over the long-term I think this will do more harm than good.

This will use the current potential corridor for GO and having both a commuter service from both GO and VIA is a definite no go for a city of just 150k. In order for Metrolinx to create a true integrated transport system there must be some form of fare and service integration and with a VIA service that is not possible for Peterborough. There is no way in hell VIA will allow ANY form of fare integration and vice-versa.

Also, this will use the only potential for GO to create a true crosstown route from the extreme NE across to Davisville and down to Lakeshore in the extreme SW. This would make crosstown travel convenient, more direct, and help relieve some of the capacity issues at Union where every single GO rail corridor converges.

Having train service to Peterboro is not a bad thing, but calling it "commuter" service is not desirable (even if some people use it that way).

Does VIA intend to implement stops between Peterboro and Toronto? How will they manage a stopping train on a single track line while running High Frequency intercity trains? Where will these stops be, considering that the territory on this line is mostly either Greenbelt or protected forest?

If what is meant is - Peterboro is getting a passenger stop, that's a whole different matter.

I still can't imagine CP agreeing to hourly bidirectional VIA service on the Belleville Sub between Kennedy and Leaside.

- Paul

This will use the current potential corridor for GO and having both a commuter service from both GO and VIA is a definite no go for a city of just 150k. In order for Metrolinx to create a true integrated transport system there must be some form of fare and service integration and with a VIA service that is not possible for Peterborough. There is no way in hell VIA will allow ANY form of fare integration and vice-versa.
s.

Really? Aldershot use to offer the GO-Via Pak which allowed you to travel on either service. (I don't know if its still offered)

And Via now sells GO tickets integrated with their lines (e.g. ... Via from Ottawa, GO to Long Branch)

Really? Aldershot use to offer the GO-Via Pak which allowed you to travel on either service. (I don't know if its still offered).

I took a quick look and VIA does sell commuter passes from Aldershot to Union; 20 one-way trips. They do allow booking trips on GO from Aldershot to Union, so there is a good chance you could use your pass credits to book GO tickets. I didn't see anything in the fine print that says one way or the other.

Of course, an actual GO commuter pass is quite a bit cheaper. The more expensive VIA option does give lounge access, so that might be worth something. Actually, I'm kinda surprised they don't sell a monthly lounge pass (no travel, just lounge access) for $100/month. I think they could get a few hundred buying them at Union and their back room is almost always empty.

Last edited:
Maybe not directly related to commuter rail for Peterborough, but this press release came out today from Infrastructure Canada:

Governments of Canada and Ontario invest in Peterborough-Toronto Freight Rail Analysis
News Release
From Infrastructure Canada

Peterborough, Ontario, December 21, 2017—Modern and efficient transportation routes are crucial to encouraging and supporting economic activity, facilitating trade, and creating good paying, middle class jobs. The governments of Canada and Ontario are investing in well-planned infrastructure that will make it easier to move people and products across the country, while supporting sustained economic growth and productivity for years to come.

The Honourable Maryam Monsef, Minister of Status of Women and Member of Parliament for PeterboroughKawartha, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; and Jeff Leal, Member of Provincial Parliament for Peterborough, today announced funding for the Peterborough-Toronto Freight Rail Analysis project.

The Government of Canada is contributing up to $65,000 towards this project, which will build on economic and engineering work already completed. The Government of Ontario is also providing up to $65,000 towards this project.

The project will define freight infrastructure requirements and outline the projected economic impact of potential future freight rail improvements along the Peterborough-Toronto-Havelock-Blue Mountain rail corridor. Specifically, the project will evaluate the benefits and impacts associated with enabling increased freight rail capacity along the corridor.

Quotes
“Our government is investing in the assessment of increased freight rail services in the Peterborough-Toronto-Havelock-Blue Mountain corridor. A better understanding of economic, environmental, and social impacts of infrastructure projects like this one will help protect our environment, support the creation of new jobs, and grow our economy.”
The Honourable Maryam Monsef, Minister of Status of Women and Member of Parliament for Peterborough-Kawartha, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities

“I am pleased to see the support for developing a project to increase freight rail services throughout the Peterborough-Toronto-Havelock-Blue Mountain corridor. This is an important step to ensure reliable freight service in our community.”
Jeff Leal, Member of Provincial Parliament for Peterborough

Reactions: jys
Not directly passenger-related, but this January 3, 2018 post by the company that operates the mines at Blue Mountain notes this:

Unimin operates a portfolio of strategically located and long life assets with 38 sand, mineral and coating processing facilities in the United States, Canada, and Mexico that serve a variety of energy and industrial customers. Our company offers a broad portfolio of minerals including silica sand, with feldspar, nepheline syenite, lime, clays (incl. kaolin), calcium carbonate and olivine allowing the company to offer a multi-mineral product mix to its industrial customers. We have built long-standing relationships with our key customers and have a broad customer base comprised of S&P 500 and blue-chip customers. We operate an extensive logistics and distribution network with access to five Class 1 railroads, a large number of in-basin oil and gas operating terminals and strong unit-train capabilities.
Emphasis added.

From an article in 2001, the Minister at the time indicated he hoped to get service restored to Peterborough. The article is about service to Guelph but near the end mentions Peterborough near the end..

My daughter is considering Trent for Sept. 2021. I’d like to see GO Trains there, what are the chances?

I prefer Ontario universities with a rail connection to Toronto. Buses in the winter aren’t the preferred route.

My daughter is considering Trent for Sept. 2021. I’d like to see GO Trains there, what are the chances?

I prefer Ontario universities with a rail connection to Toronto. Buses in the winter aren’t the preferred route.

The chances are exactly 0%.

There are no plans for GO Trains to Peterborough, the line will be used most likely for a planned VIA route that wont open until 2024, and the previous GO study for Peterborough basically came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it.

^I'm very pro-Trent, my son went there and flourished....
At the open house on Friday I swear I saw perhaps 5% male students. On the one hand, I think my daughter is safe, on the other, speaking as one who found his future wife at university, I thought as a young man, this is the place to be. Yes, I’m conflicted, lol.

Back