News   Aug 07, 2020
 3.2K     6 
News   Aug 07, 2020
 771     0 

Peterborough Commuter Rail

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Some trains could could be diverting from the west via the OVR at Sudbury to NB, although I do not know traffic patterns. There is no s/b Bala to n/b Newmarket connection at Washago. I would think if they are originating in Toronto there would be increased traffic on the Bala sub. Having said that, five trains is not a lot, although more than two which I think is the normal traffic on the Newmarket sub.
They are all coming from the MacMillian Yard.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Source for these numbers?
Oh sorry, it was the commuting numbers from the last census. Useful stuff when mulling fantasy ideas.

As for others' comments acting like VIA passing through Peterborough is a sure thing...how sure is it? An honest Q cuz I don't know how far along "HFR" is and don't get gov't funding of its promises. I just have a hard time believing it will be followed through on. I see shabby looking VIA trains and hear people's horror stories of long rides over short distances and think if we allowed things to get to this state, why not just continue it as such.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh sorry, it was the commuting numbers from the last census. Useful stuff when mulling fantasy ideas.

As for others' comments acting like VIA passing through Peterborough is a sure thing...how sure is it? An honest Q cuz I don't know how far along "HFR" is and don't get gov't funding of its promises. I just have a hard time believing it will be followed through on. I see shabby looking VIA trains and hear people's horror stories of long rides over short distances and think if we allowed things to get to this state, why not just continue it as such.
There will be more study leading to a supposedly definitive yes-no decision by Cabinet. I would say it’s fodder for the next election.

I don’t agree we should “continue as such”, but we sure need a once and for all public debate about whether to bother with publicly funded rail transportation. If we don’t see the value, we should kill it altogether. The guy in the next seat may have a chicken in his lap, but poorer countries have found ways to get people around cheaply and reliably enough, and we could also.

- Paul