News   Aug 09, 2024
 586     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.2K     2 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terminal 1

The hammerhead definitely could hold more concessions. A huge amount of space is wasted in the middle by the bacardi bar and its seating... this could easily be replaced with several small, more useful food concessions.

Why did they flub this one so badly? I remember during the Pier-F construction period, how the GTAA was touting massive improvements in the Gastronomy sections, as well as retail areas.

Why is there this staunch refusal in Toronto to actually take a hint/advice/tips and/or copy/emulate what the Europeans do/did to make their airports more user friendly and ultimately better??? It honestly boggles my mind.

I don't see the space to correct this problem either-..What a shame!

p5

Is there any news on new airlines flying into YYZ in the near future?

Forget about food (although I agree with you all on the assessment about the sad state of food options in T1). I flew to NYC for the day and landed this afternoon to absolute chaos at the cdn customs and immigration. I was left with the impression that they duffed the estimates of traffic flow at this particular chokepoint when the GTAA designed this place. There was a back up on the second floor where they corralled several hundreds of people at the top of the escalators letting 10 at a time go down to the immigration hall.

At the bottom the entire hall was set up with side to side partitions forcing all of the arrivals to walk side to side of the hall something like 10 times before spilling out to lineups before the customs officers. In 15 years of flying into T2 and T3 I never saw such chaos in the lineups making people walk double the distance that they would have with a direct route. Welcome to Canada.

Regarding food....when I showed up for my flight at 5 am the place was practically deserted and yet there was a line up at Tim's across the entire concourse whereby I had to force myself through the middle of the line to get to the other side....wtf!

Is there any news on new airlines flying into YYZ in the near future?

Possibly Jet Airways of India in the next year. Starting June 1 the Etihad flight to Abu Dhabi becomes non-stop so perhaps SN Brussels will add service to make up for the loss of service. JAT of Serbia has gained the authority to operate to Canada and will likely add the service as soon as it is able but that might take a while.

The Serbian flight should be quite popular, at least in summer. Southern Ontario has quite a massive Serbian population, especially in Waterloo Region. Of course, there are lots of Croats who could also take the flight, but somehow I don't see that happening...

i flew out of the mini satellite terminal to the US last week and as a result took the shuttle bus that drives around the new pier F on its way to the far end of the airport. i was surprised that it was almost completely all Air Canada planes and hardly any foreign airlines at the new pier.

Croatia Airlines is also looking at direct flights to Toronto and I wouldn't be surprised if it flies Toronto-Zagreb-Belgrade like JAT did in the 80s, though the Croatian community in Southern Ontario is even bigger and Croatia is quickly becoming a major tourist destination.

Interestingly, in my experience most of those still holding a grudge (and their numbers are quickly diminishing) seem to be from here. Although people over there were obviously much more directly affected, they seem to have been able to make peace with the past much sooner.

Considering that a flight to Zagreb, for example, can currently cost $1500+ and always involves an unnecessary connection putting travel time in the 10-12 hour range, direct fights and more choices are definitely welcome!

We will probably see Emirates soon, and likely a return from Virgin Atlantic as well.

As to the mix of airlines at T1...I am quite surprised at how AC has managed to keep nearly all its major competitors in T3, which is where pretty much every major foreign flag carrier serving Toronto except Lufthansa operates. I would think that big players like Cathay, BA, Air France and KLM would want to get into the new facility.

Air Canada and the few Star Alliance partners that also fly to Toronto are in terminal 1 purely for logistical reasons. Air Canada has the most flights and connections so putting them in one terminal was a high priority. Customers of Air Canada are likely to connect with airlines they are partners with or codeshare with so those airlines have also been put into terminal 1. Also, with codesharing it can cause problems when passengers arrive at the wrong terminal because their ticket says Air Canada but their flight is operated by a different airline. Malev, American, Cathay, and British Airways are all in terminal 3 where their OneWorld partnership is best served by providing easy connections. The same is true with the SkyTeam alliance. The only two airlines not in the right terminal are Alitalia (which used to codeshare with AC) and US Airways. I'm not sure why this is the case... it would be sad if terminal 1 is already maxed out in transborder capacity. Pier G is expected to be primarily US transborder so perhaps that is the situation.

Airlines serving Toronto

Star Alliance
----------------
Air Canada (1)
Austrian (1)
LOT Polish (1 on April 15)
Lufthansa (1)
United (1)
US Airways (3)

OneWorld
------------
American (3)
British Airways (3)
Cathay Pacific (3)
Malev Hungarian (3)

SkyTeam
-----------
Aeroflot (3)
Air France (3)
Alitalia (1)
Continental (3)
CSA Czech (3)
Delta (3)
KLM (3)
Korean Air (3)
Northwest (3)

Other AC Codeshares
--------------------------
Air Jamaica (1)

Other Non-Alliance Airlines
--------------------------------
Aerosvit (3)
Air India (3)
Air Transat (3)
Etihad (1)
Caribbean (3)
Cubana (3)
El Al (3)
Midwest (3)
Olympic (3)
Pakistan International (3)
SATA (3)
Skyservice (3)
Sunwing (3)
Transaero (3)
Westjet (3)
Zoom (3)

I'm not sure how Etihad pulled off being in terminal 1. They must have made a special deal.

BMI doesn't fly to Toronto. They codeshare with AC on the MAN-YYZ leg.

What type of long range aircrafts is Croatia looking to buy?

there are rumours that USAir will move to T1 this summer...

Well that would make sense - putting them in with the rest of the Star Alliance airlines.

You are right about BMI. They must have pulled out. I remember seeing their A330 at Pearson so perhaps they will be back on a seasonal basis. Their livery is one of the slickest in my opinion.

JAT was talking about getting a 767 but who knows what will eventually happen. There have even been suggestions of Abu Dhabi - Belgrade - Toronto with Etihad. Toronto seems to be among JAT's top overseas priorities and their Canadian representative has mentioned there should be an announcement soon... so perhaps we will see them in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back