News   Oct 18, 2024
 2.6K     8 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 330     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 930     4 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

This was very much overdue….the return of the Northlander to Timmins and the eventual completion of Highway 400 to Sudbury gives Northern Ontario a direct smooth connection to the GTA and Southern Ontario.

Many people are unaware of just how important this is for the region. Northern Ontario is some of the most remote regions in Canada.

Sigh. While his basic premise is not wrong (it is big with a small population), it is little different in those terms than the eastern and western Canada that he compares it to, particularly their north bits. Saying the that the Golden Horseshoe has "an abundance of fresh water" as a factor that is somewhat unique or different than "Canada's Empty Space" is a bit laughable.

As an aside, I wish folks who did this chose their images better. Discussing the north's regions of Black Spruce and Tamarack, then showing an image of a hardwood forest (with a wooden path!) is a bit lazy.

I noticed that his graphic appears to not include Nipissing District.

*sniff sniff*

Smells like an impending provincial election.
Every government erects signs like this at every highway project. There is; however, a billboard-size sign of smiling Vic and a train in the north end of North Bay. I'll try to remember to get a pic. Whether that is indicative of much remains to be seen. He has large road sized signs around the area.

Every government erects signs like this at every highway project. There is; however, a billboard-size sign of smiling Vic and a train in the north end of North Bay. I'll try to remember to get a pic. Whether that is indicative of much remains to be seen. He has large road sized signs around the area.

I see it more about timing, not that the billboards were put up, but when they were put up.

I finally got a pic of the billboard of Grinnin' Vic.

I figure the train image is (a) a staffer figuring a train is a train is a train; (b) 'what do you mean it's wrong?' or (c) they couldn't get a release from the Premier's Office on the approved livery.

Apologies for the quality. I'm no Kotsy. 😁

IMG_20240826_153828598[1].jpg

I finally got a pic of the billboard of Grinnin' Vic.

I figure the train image is (a) a staffer figuring a train is a train is a train; (b) 'what do you mean it's wrong?' or (c) they couldn't get a release from the Premier's Office on the approved livery.

Apologies for the quality. I'm no Kotsy. 😁

View attachment 592216
That picture is of the old Northlander before it was shut down.

I highly doubt the political staff who was asked to make this in Canva is an enthusiast who is into trains

Could be general maintenance but maybe it's for the upgrades for the line for the return of The Northlander?

Screenshot_2024-08-31_152309.jpg

Could be general maintenance but maybe it's for the upgrades for the line for the return of The Northlander?

View attachment 592708
Any work like this,I file under "both". Unless we know for sure it was scheduled before the first announcement of the Northlander's return, we have no way to differentiate between that. Unless you really want to try and find out who is paying for it.

A discussion with some friends about the future Northlander service, a question came up - is it expected that a ONR bus will connect from Sudbury to North Bay to meet the train?And of course, would one come back from North Bay after the train arrives?
My thinking is yes, but I am wondering if anything official has been released about that.

A discussion with some friends about the future Northlander service, a question came up - is it expected that a ONR bus will connect from Sudbury to North Bay to meet the train?And of course, would one come back from North Bay after the train arrives?
My thinking is yes, but I am wondering if anything official has been released about that.

It is probably way to early to say with any certainty. The question is how many people would take a bus 125 km east to transfer to the train north or south instead of taking a direct bus north or south. Maybe if they are going to an intermediary stop that they can't get to directly on one bus, but for travel to/from Toronto or Cochrane from/to Sudbury it would probably be better to just take a direct bus.

Back