News   Jul 15, 2024
 176     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 400     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I don't think it is unreasonable to have 'Canadian' as an option. Some people are descended from families that have been here for hundreds of years and may be mixed enough to not have a clear ethnicity to identify with.

Given that only one of my four grandparents was not born in Canada (though two of the other three came from French and Polish speaking households), I put “Canadian” as well as I just don’t really identify with a specific ethnicity.

Last edited:
I don't think it is unreasonable to have 'Canadian' as an option. Some people are descended from families that have been here for hundreds of years and may be mixed enough to not have a clear ethnicity to identify with.
Yes, but by its inclusion those who choose the listed ethnicities are by default declaring they are not Canadian. A better option would be mixed, which would also be useful info.

I'd put Canadian myself. Born here, raised here.
Normally I would, except for the census. My ancestors settled here in the 1600s, and I will always say French. Sometimes you just have to stand and be counted, or you risk losing what you've got.

Normally I would, except for the census. My ancestors settled here in the 1600s, and I will always say French. Sometimes you just have to stand and be counted, or you risk losing what you've got.
Agreed. My ancestors, the postwar Brits are essentially invisible immigrants. It’s good to be accounted for.

Right. I don't even know anything about my mother's side as both of her parents died when she was very young (about 1965), and what little documentation she has about them is only that they immigrated to Ontario in the 1950's from... Michigan. Where they or their parents came from before that we have no idea, and don't really know how to find out. We've tried several avenues to find this out over many years with no luck.

As for my father's side, his parent's families go back at least three generations in Canada, and if I ask any elderly relatives about where their great-grandparents came from it changes each time from England, to Scotland, to France, to Ireland depnding on which day you ask. The only consistent part is they are absolutely certain they descend from ancient royalty in one of those places. LOL

So Canadian it is for me. I honestly don't care or have any interest in learning about my family history at all.

Last edited:
Right. I don't even know anything about my mother's side as both of her parents died when she was very young (about 1965), and what little documentation she has about them is only that they immigrated to Ontario in the 1950's from... Michigan. Where they or their parents came from before that we have no idea, and don't really know how to find out. We've tried several avenues to find this out over many years with no luck.

As for my father's side, his parent's families go back at least three generations in Canada, and if I ask any elderly relatives about where their great-grandparents came from it changes each time from England, to Scotland, to France, to Ireland depnding on which day you ask. The only consistent part is they are absolutely certain they descend from ancient royalty in one of those places. LOL

So Canadian it is for me. I honestly don't care or have any interest in learning about my family history at all.
It's a question I asked myself (and actually in was an editorial in the Montreal Gazette last week) on how a culturally homogenous nation can defend itself and how nationalism is not a bad thing, based on the Ukrainian reaction to the Russian invasion. I consider myself Canadian, because it's the default. I know about nothing about my heritage, don't have a culture. I'm mixed raced from the poorest county in the country and from one of the originally poorest family there. My dad was an orphan and my mom was on her own at a young age. Last month was Black History month, there was the Lunar New Year and all the display of the rich culture made me feel empty. We can't even be proud to be Canadians anymore because of the Indigenous "reckoning".

So now I don't have a Canadian sense of belonging. I'm just a citizen in a American-no-wannabe, who doesn't have a common sharing with my fellow citizens. And I loathe Tim Hortons... We are seeing many culture wars, way more than in the past, in multicultural countries. The US is starting to resegrate itself in name of wokeness and diversity. I have a tendency to overanalyse things, but yeah, I'm a Canadian, but what is a Canadian? Basically nothing. At least Quebeckers are fighting for their culture, as little as they have.

He is a jerk. What happened to their freedom to choose? With deSantis, he only supports freedom that he agrees with.

DeSantis is only one puppet for Putin...

0*Tc6KRA_MUDnRxzUk.
From link.

Back