News   Aug 13, 2024
 545     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 584     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

LOL

A Senator complaining about people earning "6 figure salaries" and not working very hard to get them.

I guess "6 figure salaries" are the new "flat screen TVs". Will be fun with inflation now to see the Sunshine list balloon to 10,000 people in a few years and the outrage from the hot air windbags over it.
It's all the "professional protester" nonsense they drum up whenever they see peeps collectively speaking up against things they have legit gripes about in demonstration. Except they would never accuse "Freedom" Convoy off doing that though... /sigh

It's all the "professional protester" nonsense they drum up whenever they see peeps collectively speaking up against things they have legit gripes about in demonstration. Except they would never accuse "Freedom" Convoy off doing that though... /sigh
Six figures is hardly much anymore. The guy on the forklift running my warehouse makes that. Back in 1996 when I got my first f/t office job my pay was $26k, I thought I was going to starve after paying rent, car insurance, etc.

Six figures is hardly much anymore. The guy on the forklift running my warehouse makes that. Back in 1996 when I got my first f/t office job my pay was $26k, I thought I was going to starve after paying rent, car insurance, etc.
The "Sunshine List" is useless, since it hasn't been adjusted for inflation since 1996. By 2020, it should have been $154,110.

From link.

In January 2022, Canadian inflation surpassed 5% for the first time since September 1991, rising 5.1% on a year-over-year basis and up from a 4.8% gain in December 2021.

Do your own calculation.

Do your own calculation.
Yep, I use that for my own salary negotiation. https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/related/inflation-calculator/

If I was making $150k in 2020 and have not had a raise in two years, then the baseline just to return me to a pre-inflation starting point is $159,320. Anything less would be a pay decrease and a sign to look elsewhere. A lot of people will be making these same calculations as they begin salary negotiations in 2022.

The $26K I was making in 1996 is equal to $42k today. But that inflation calculator doesn't really take into consideration the cost of living. On that $26k I was able to rent a one bedroom basement apartment on the Danforth, buy my food, pay my utilities, own a Nokia brick cell phone, eat out somewhat, buy outright, fuel and insure a car. That doesn't seem possible on $42K today.

Last edited:
Still a lot of cases, still too early to end mask mandates. Didn't they learn a lesson from lifting the mask mandates too early in 2021? 🤦‍♂️

Quebec scraps masks in class for elementary, high school students after March break​

Still a lot of cases, still too early to end mask mandates. Didn't they learn a lesson from lifting the mask mandates too early in 2021? 🤦‍♂️

Quebec scraps masks in class for elementary, high school students after March break​

The claim is made that the worst is over and it's unlikely to get that bad again least where the Omicron variant is concerned. Personally, I don't have a lot of faith in that claim...but there you go.

Emergencies Act lifted.

That's what they said before Omicron popped up and said hello. It would suck if a new variant made itself known and we repeat the cycle. *sigh*
Yeah, that's not an unreasonable fear at this point.
-----

That was quick. I thought they where going to make it last for the full 30 days for safe keeping. Or least they seem to be indicating a couple of days back or so...

...maybe the government was doing this as a good faith measure. Although the "protestors" in question will unlikely be doing anything in good faith in return because of this. But whatever.

Yeah, that's not an unreasonable fear at this point.
-----

That was quick. I thought they where going to make it last for the full 30 days for safe keeping. Or least they seem to be indicating a couple of days back or so...

...maybe the government was doing this as a good faith measure. Although the "protestors" in question will unlikely be doing anything in good faith in return because of this. But whatever.

It was likely done to clear the immediate situation and let local police take it from there.

Borders blockades and those on Wellington in the Parliamentary Precinct are grey areas in terms of policing depending on where you are in those areas.

Trudeau likely knew this and assumed overall control to clear away jurisdictional issues.

The CBSA for example handles border security but step just outside the border crossing and the local police take over.

In Ottawa the PPS have jurisdiction over the Parliamentary Precinct but depending on where the trucks were located in relation to Parliament Hill it was either the OPS or PPS handling it.

The Emergencies Act paves the way for the RCMP to assume control over everything related to law enforcement. It eliminated any question of who handles what and where.

My issue with this is that the judge is referring to government decisions. However, this is also a medical/scientific community recommendation.

Back