384     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 370     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 391     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

That is what that word means.
Glad you’re able to recognize that now.
Do you believe China has zero influence on WHO?

I believe you used the word “beholden”.
Every country in the WHO has some degree of influence on it. Do I think China has overwhelming influence? Greater than that of the US or other members? Do I think an organization full of medical professionals feel obliged to entertain any country over the public health? Do I think China quickly informed the WHO about the virus only to turn around and say “but don’t try and contain it or anything”. No to all of the above.
It’s also very likely that it’s just a case of human beings making poor decisions. Our province is pretty good proof that some people in power just make really terrible decisions; no conspiracy required.

Glad you’re able to recognize that now.

I believe you used the word “beholden”.
Every country in the WHO has some degree of influence on it. Do I think China has overwhelming influence? Greater than that of the US or other members? Do I think an organization full of medical professionals feel obliged to entertain any country over the public health? Do I think China quickly informed the WHO about the virus only to turn around and say “but don’t try and contain it or anything”. No to all of the above.
It’s also very likely that it’s just a case of human beings making poor decisions. Our province is pretty good proof that some people in power just make really terrible decisions; no conspiracy required.
If it pleases you that I am able to recognize I used a word as intended, good on ya. China was trying to cover up the outbreak as late as December 30, 2019 when they punished (the now deceased) Dr Li Wenliang for warning colleagues about a highly infectious novel pneumonia similar to SARS. China was not very forthcoming about the virus, which is why the WHO avoided angering China for fear of being shut-out of important data that would guide response to the then-epidemic. I would characterize that as being beholden, but reasonable people can disagree. China delayed raising alarm over the severity of the new disease in the crucial first weeks and months, time that could have been critical for more broadly studying it and taking actions to stop travel to and from the point of origin.

I don't see how our province's incompetence would have any bearing on WHO issuing a travel advisory for SARS but not for COVID.

We don't need to go down this rabbit hole.

Will they do it? I firmly believe that they “leak” these plans in order to gauge public reaction before making final decisions.
1617766157037.png

I'm all for it. I've never quite understood why the Walmarts and Costcos of the world have been allowed to sell apparently essential Tupperware and light bulbs but smaller stores could not. I may have to put off swapping out the snow tires or do it myself (ooh, my back!).

I'm all for it. I've never quite understood why the Walmarts and Costcos of the world have been allowed to sell apparently essential Tupperware and light bulbs but smaller stores could not. I may have to put off swapping out the snow tires or do it myself (ooh, my back!).

It's about time. I wonder though how they will define Grocery or Pharmaceutical in terms of things like personal care products and specialty grocery.

I mean... are body wash and dispensaries pharmaceutical or are we talking essentials like Quaaludes, Insulin and medication. On the flip side... things like the Bulk Barn or corner stores.. are they considered grocery or are are we talking things like Metro, Loblaws, St Lawrence, etc.

It's about time. I wonder though how they will define Grocery or Pharmaceutical in terms of things like personal care products and specialty grocery.

I mean... are body wash and dispensaries pharmaceutical or are we talking essentials like Quaaludes, Insulin and medication. On the flip side... things like the Bulk Barn or corner stores.. are they considered grocery or are are we talking things like Metro, Loblaws, St Lawrence, etc.
Have you been to a Bulk Barn during this pandemic? I haven't felt safer in a single other store. It's the only place they have someone manning the door 100% of the time (even when most restrictions were lifted). All scoops are deemed single-use before being washed, everyone needs to sanitize and put on gloves and occupancy is strictly controlled. They're totally on their game there.

Have you been to a Bulk Barn during this pandemic? I haven't felt safer in a single other store. It's the only place they have someone manning the door 100% of the time (even when most restrictions were lifted). All scoops are deemed single-use before being washed, everyone needs to sanitize and put on gloves and occupancy is strictly controlled. They're totally on their game there.

I have been there several times but the point I was trying to make is that they need to define what is and is not essential to avoid every Tom, Dick and Harry saying that they are able to open.

What we don't need is someone saying a dispensary is essential because someone may have a need for medical marijuana while allowing it to open for everyone else. Same with Dollarama which sells food and personal care items.

Corner stores *SHOULD* be able to open but only because in some, more rural areas it can be the only thing around for miles. I know for example in Janetville (outside Port Perry) there is a small corner store at the end of McGill Drive but the nearest grocery store or pharmacy is a good 20-30 minute drive away in Lindsay or Port Perry.

Quaaludes? Of all the essential medications you have chosen an interesting one to highlight...

AoD

Last edited:
Quaaludes? All of the essential medications you have chosen an interesting one to highlight...

AoD

LOL. I was trying to see if anyone actually read these posts. Quaaludes have been off the market for years though I do have some very old Alka-Seltzer that I found in Cape Race while volunteering at the Toronto Railway Museum years ago. My guess is that they were from 1975 but I am not about to try them to see if they are still useable.

I have been there several times but the point I was trying to make is that they need to define what is and is not essential to avoid every Tom, Dick and Harry saying that they are able to open.

What we don't need is someone saying a dispensary is essential because someone may have a need for medical marijuana while allowing it to open for everyone else. Same with Dollarama which sells food and personal care items.

Corner stores *SHOULD* be able to open but only because in some, more rural areas it can be the only thing around for miles. I know for example in Janetville (outside Port Perry) there is a small corner store at the end of McGill Drive but the nearest grocery store or pharmacy is a good 20-30 minute drive away in Lindsay or Port Perry.
Not everyone uses a car or or uses public transit to get their groceries or essentials. Some may get a friend or relative to drive them, but that risks spread of the virus. Corner stores, while wearing masks with social distancing, should be kept open. The big box stores run a threat of spread from strangers.

Back