News   Aug 15, 2024
 388     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 373     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 393     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Wait a few weeks when the Easter get together numbers start coming in.

By the looks of the insane line up outside Coscto this morning, people will be having the family over for Easter dinners.
Really late to reply to this, but the problem is not having family over for easter the problem is assuming family couldn't possibly be affected.

My dads family and his one sisters family got together as we always do, spent as much time as we could outside, were masked the whole time and when it came time to eat, ate in separate parts of the house. You can still be with family and be safe about it. The problem is most people arent, and it costs everyone

1617808117152.png

I believe that's a record number of a vaccinations in Ontario for one day.

Here is some evangelical lunacy happening in Alberta.

From the article:

GraceLife Church pastor James Coates led the Sunday service for the third time since his release from jail March 22, after he was charged twice for violating the Public Health Act. One of those charges has since been dropped and a second will be taken to trial in May. Coates also received a $1,500 fine for violating bail conditions, which was paid through time served. The church has been charged as an entity, which is also scheduled to go to trial in May.

Nothing say tough on crime like this. Same for that Chris Sky guy here in Ontario.

AoD

I recommend everyone over 50 check the websites of nearby hospitals to see if they live or not in what is considered a "high-risk" area. I live in M4Y, and I didn't see this code in any of the newspapers that were reporting about this, but it is among the eligible postal codes on St. Michael's Hospital website.

Of course, getting an appointment at a particular hospital is not as easy as it is at one of the mass vaccination sites.

I recommend everyone over 50 check the websites of nearby hospitals to see if they live or not in what is considered a "high-risk" area. I live in M4Y, and I didn't see this code in any of the newspapers that were reporting about this, but it is among the eligible postal codes on St. Michael's Hospital website.

Of course, getting an appointment at a particular hospital is not as easy as it is at one of the mass vaccination sites.

My father tried to this as we live in M1L. It was virtually impossible to book an appointment at the clinic run through Michael Garron Hospital.

We decided to wait for them to lower the vaccination age at the municipal clinics as both him and my mother are turning 55 this year. The thinking is that it may be easier and closer to get vaccinated at a city run clinic. The nearest City of Toronto clinic is at the STC vs Thorncliffe Park.

EyZWWmSWYAkW1wu

Province says mobile vaccine clinics will be sent to high-risk communities

From link.

Ontario has declared its third state of emergency in the last 12 months and has implemented a four-week long stay-at-home order for all residents as COVID-19 variants of concern continue to spread at alarming rates.

Premier Doug Ford, health minister Christine Elliot, solicitor general Sylvia Jones and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams made the announcement from Queen’s Park at a press conference on the afternoon of April 7.

Ford urged the people of Ontario to stay home.

“There’s no doubt the third wave has been different from anything we’ve faced so far,” he said. “Things are extremely, extremely serious right now.”

Driven largely by COVID-19 variants, the third wave has seen an increase in hospitalizations by 28.2 per cent between March 28 and April 5. In that same period, ICU admissions soared 25 per cent. On April 7, Toronto saw 1,095 new cases following a steady spike across a seven-day period seen in Toronto and Peel.

There are more patients in Ontario’s intensive care units than any other time during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“This wave is different,” Elliot said. “COVID-19 variants are transmitted more quickly and put more lives at risk. Our health system partners are concerned and afraid. Our hospitals are being hit hard. Additional measures are needed to address the rate of transmission.”

Consequently, the premier issued a stay-at-home order effective Thursday, April 8 at 12:01 a.m. requiring all residents to remain home except for essential purposes such as shopping for food at grocery stores and getting medicine from pharmacies.

While essential retail remains open, all non-essential retail will be closed and limited to curbside pickup or delivery.

Big box stores, however, are permitted to sell only essential items including groceries, household cleaning supplies, pharmaceutical items, healthcare items, personal care items, and pet care items.

Ford also announced increasing vaccinations in high-risk communities, beginning with areas of Toronto and Peel hardest hit by the virus.

“As we speak, mobile vaccination teams are getting organized to get vaccines to where they’ll have the greatest impact,” he said.

While offering no details, Ford said mobile vaccination teams and pop-up clinics will be set up in high-risk congregate settings, residential buildings, faith-based locations, and locations occupied by large employers in hot spot areas for individuals 18 and older.

The province also plans to extend booking for COVID-19 vaccinations residents 50 and older.

The decision follows weeks of requests from members of the opposition and doctors across Toronto and Peel to prioritize vaccination in hardest hit areas.

Recent data from the City of Toronto and Peel Region revealed that neighborhoods where cases were lowest had the highest rates of vaccinations, while neighbourhoods where cases were highest had the lowest rates of vaccinations.

Michael Garron Hospital’s medical director of critical care Dr. Michael Warner welcomed the decision but expected details to follow.
“I look forward to learning the details on how [the] plan will be executed without delay,” he said in a tweet following the press conference.

In addition to increasing vaccinations in high-risk areas, Ford announced education workers providing support to students with special needs across the province would also be eligible for vaccination beginning next week.

Education workers in Toronto and Peel will also be eligible, with vaccinations expected to ramp up for teachers in the April break.

While schools in Toronto, Peel, and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph were closed by Section 22 orders by local medical officers of health earlier this week, remaining schools across the province remain open.

“Experts say schools remain safe spaces,” Ford said.

On Tuesday of this week, more than 20 Toronto schools were closed as a result of COVID-19 outbreaks, even before all schools were ordered closed as of Wednesday (today).

The premier pointed to lack of supply when asked why the vaccine rollout in high-priority neighbourhoods was delayed.

He added that he expects 40 per cent of Ontario residents to be vaccinated by the end of the four-week stay-at-home order, provided vaccine supply remains consistent.

Ontario has administered 2.7 million doses so far, and a record 104,382 vaccinations were administered on April 6.

East Toronto and Scarborough residents can book their vaccine appointments at https://vaccineto.ca or the province’s website at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/book-vaccine

Last edited:
I'm not really convinced retail should close. Just enforce capacity limits. Limiting essential categories just favours ecommerce (Amazon, etc.) so I don't see it being a 'fairness' issue.

I am in a hotspot, but I have strong moral-ethical reservation about getting vaccinated so much earlier as someone who is not in a high risk age group, isn't an essential worker and have the luxury of working from home. No doubt I will get vaccinated - it just feel a little like butting in line.

AoD

Last edited:

Back