News   Aug 15, 2024
 152     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 314     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 560     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

With so many disparate means of getting the vaccine I hope OHIP is keeping track that someone doesn’t accidentally mix or triple dose.

Is it OK to mix and match different vaccines? Your COVID-19 questions answered

From link.

U.K. trial explores scientific potential of more flexible vaccine rollouts​

Does your second dose of COVID-19 vaccine have to be the same brand as your first?​

Health officials don't recommend having different types of COVID-19 vaccines for your two shots, but doctors say a unique clinical trial in the United Kingdom could inform a more flexible rollout in Canada.

People like Joseph Frisina of Montreal are asking CBC News about the pluses and minuses of receiving a first dose of one vaccine and a different brand for the second shot.

Frisina said he received his first dose of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine in Quebec and plans to be in the U.S. when time comes for his second, where he'll likely be offered Pfizer-BioNTech. He wants to know if it could be risky.

Dr. Lisa Barrett, an infectious diseases physician and researcher at Dalhousie University in Halifax, said she doesn't see any reason to be worried about safety.
Barrett likens the first shot of the two-dose coronavirus vaccines to giving your immune system an elementary school education. The second dose broadens the response to a university level.

"What your first shot does is it sends up a battle cry, if you will, to your immune system to rally those specific troops together to get an immune response that's good to this particular part of COVID vaccine and then it adds some memory," Barrett said.

"The quality of the immune response after one shot is generally OK, but still not highly sophisticated."
That's why federal, provincial and territorial health officials all recommend that people be fully immunized to protect against COVID-19.

What's guiding mix-and-match decisions?​

Barrett said she is looking forward to when results from a trial at the University of Oxfordshed light on mix-and-match vaccinations.
Unlike typical clinical trials comparing a vaccine to a dummy shot, the 800 volunteers aged 50 and over in England will either be given:

• A Pfizer "prime" dose followed by a "booster" from AstraZeneca.
  • AstraZeneca followed by Pfizer.
  • The standard approach of receiving the same vaccine twice as a comparison.

"There are definite advantages to having data that could support a more flexible immunization program, if needed and if approved by the medicines regulator," said Jonathan Van-Tam, the U.K.'s deputy chief medical officer, in announcing the 13-month study in February.
Participants will also be administered their first and second doses either four or 12 weeks apart to see what works best.

"With that knowledge, we can have complete confidence that a number of different vaccines can be rolled out and implemented in a population very quickly, very efficiently, without any concern about inadvertent mixing of the combination," Prof. Paul Heath, director of the Vaccine Institute at St. George's, University of London, told CBS News.

What's more, Heath said, if mixing vaccines succeeds, it could trigger better protection against more contagious variants of concern.

The makers of mRNA vaccines are already tweaking their vaccines in face of the B1351 variant first identified in South Africa.

Some vaccinologists suspect that getting a different type of COVID-19 vaccine for the second dose could stimulate immune cells to focus on the right target to tackle variants of concern.

Question for those in the know here.

My father is in a priority neighborhood that can be vaccinated at Thorncliffe Park Community Hub via Michael Garron Hospital.

He has reservations about the AstraZeneca vaccine and is refusing to take it. Apparently he thinks he will get a blood clot and wants the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.

Does anyone know what vaccine they are using at this location?

My father is in a priority neighborhood that can be vaccinated at Thorncliffe Park Community Hub via Michael Garron Hospital.

He has reservations about the AstraZeneca vaccine and is refusing to take it. Apparently he thinks he will get a blood clot and wants the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.

My MiL was vaccinated there, with Pfizer. But I’d take the A/S shot without reservation. In the UK over ten million got the A/S shot and there were two instances of blood clots, none fatal or debilitating. Skipping the shot and dying of Covid seems dumb to me.

From what I have heard, the mass vaccination clinics are using Pfizer. AZ is only at pharmacies and doctor offices. Moderna is being used by the mobile clinics.

Reactions: DSC
My MiL was vaccinated there, with Pfizer. But I’d take the A/S shot without reservation. In the UK over ten million got the A/S shot and there were two instances of blood clots, none fatal or debilitating. Skipping the shot and dying of Covid seems dumb to me.

I agree 100%. Not to veer too far off topic but for context my father is one of those right wing conspiracy nuts. If this was America he would be worshipping Trump.

He hates Liberals and the NDP.. he thinks Theresa Tam should go back to China because in his opinion "she cannot speak English, nobody can understand the b****"

If the Toronto Sun, Rebel or Anti-Vaxx publication says AstraZeneca is unsafe, he takes it as gospel.

I, on the other hand don't care what I get vaccinated with and choose to listen to science.

The booking website tells you what kind of vaccine is being given when you schedule an appointment. If you qualify under the criteria of postal code, age groups, and health card type, then it'll list what vaccine it is.

For example, my mother who is over 60 now and for her area, the mass immunization clinics currently say they're giving Pfizer/Moderna.

My brother who is a nurse, heard that Metro Toronto Convention Centre location is giving the Pfizer one.

vax.JPG

COVID hit the Vancouver Canucks hard and fast. It's the Brazil variant.

The protocol for this season is that players are tested every day, even if they aren't playing. Their live-in family members are tested once a week (the staff actually goes to their home to do the test). This unfolded after they returned from a trip to Winnipeg, and then had a four day break in the schedule. Every player was negative both days after Winnipeg, and the Winnipeg team has had zero positives, so it is safe to assume they did not get it from there. In the middle of the four day break, they had a practice day. Practice is usually about two hours long, one hour or so on the ice and the rest is gym/physiotherapy stuff. Sometimes the players hang out there for a while in a kind of a clubhouse space, but apparently they are told this season to simply leave immediately after the practice is over. By the day after that practice, 8 players tested positive and it was confirmed to be the Brazil variant. At that point it was already too late. Two days later almost all of them were infected. It likely was picked up by one single player from somewhere outside in a random chance encounter as the league rules they agreed to said they generally are not supposed to be going into stores, not even their family members, and not even if the local authorities allow the public to go to staores (think of living in a permanent gray zone even if the real world is red or orange).

So to summarise, one person carried this Brzail variant into a two hour practice, and within 48 hours after that meeting almost the whole team is positive. Needless to say, these are almost all guys in their 20's and early 30's (except the coaches).

Now take all of the above and imagine what is going on inside Ontario schools right now.

Last edited:
COVID hit the Vancouver Canucks hard and fast. It's the Brazil variant.

The protocol for this season is that players are tested every day, even if they aren't playing. Their live-in family members are tested once a week (the staff actually goes to their home to do the test). This unfolded after they returned from a trip to Winnipeg, and then had a four day break in the schedule. Every player was negative both days after Winnipeg, and the Winnipeg team has had zero positives, so it is safe to assume they did not get it from there. In the middle of the four day break, they had a practice day. Practice is usually about two hours long, one hour or so on the ice and the rest is gym/physiotherapy stuff. Sometimes the players hang out there for a while in a kind of a clubhouse space, but apparently they are told this season to simply leave immediately after the practice is over. By the day after that practice, 8 players tested positive and it was confirmed to be the Brazil variant. At that point it was already too late. Two days later almost all of them were infected. It likely was picked up by one single player from somewhere outside in a random chance encounter as the league rules they agreed to said they generally are not supposed to be going into stores, not even their family members, and not even if the local authorities allow the public to go to staores (think of living in a permanent gray zone even if the real world is red or orange).

So to summarise, one person carried this Brzail variant into a two hour practice, and within 48 hours after that meeting almost the whole team is positive. Needless to say, these are almost all guys in their 20's and early 30's (except the coaches).

Now take all of the above and imagine what is going on inside Ontario schools right now.

This situation is scary as hell. Some of the players are “very ill” These are pro-athletes, some of the healthiest and fittest people on the planet. Yet i know a lot of stupid people who either won't get the vaccine or they will "think about" getting the vaccine. :rolleyes: Nothing to think about it! Get the damn vaccine as soon as you can.

My in-laws are getting vaccinated on Thursday and my parents next Monday. I am wondering when they will reschedule that door too door clinic at our building.

Back