News   Aug 15, 2024
 246     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 427     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 606     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

The best thing is to discuss your personal medical health and risk profile with a medical professional and not make your decision based on alarmist media headlines and hype.

True but my GP is not accepting patients at this time unless it is for following up with a serious medical condition.

Family docs are doing phone/video appointments. This is something you can discuss without an in person visit.

He's not even doing that. No appointments unless it is for a pre-existing condition of some urgency (cancer, heart, diabetes, etc). When my previous doctor of almost 20 years retired a few years ago this guy took over the practice and it has been nothing but problems since.

He prioritized walk-ins over actual appointments (for those who made them) on Saturdays prior to Covid. I once made an appointment on a Saturday and had to wait for 3 hours past my appointment time because of the walk-in traffic.

He's very much competent but he does not know how to run a practice very well and both my father and myself are annoyed by it.

He's not even doing that. No appointments unless it is for a pre-existing condition of some urgency (cancer, heart, diabetes, etc). When my previous doctor of almost 20 years retired a few years ago this guy took over the practice and it has been nothing but problems since.

He prioritized walk-ins over actual appointments (for those who made them) on Saturdays prior to Covid. I once made an appointment on a Saturday and had to wait for 3 hours past my appointment time because of the walk-in traffic.

He's very much competent but he does not know how to run a practice very well and both my father and myself are annoyed by it.
Maybe time to find a new GP?

Maybe time to find a new GP?
Absolutely, it is not good medical practice to 'ignore' minor issues as they can (and often do) progress to something far more serious - I would not call a doctor who does this 'competent'. Unless the walk-ins were real emergencies it shows disrespect to those with appointments to take them first.

My husband, who is 68, registered with Rexall almost 2 weeks ago for an AstraZeneca vaccine, and did the same last week with SDM, but has yet to hear from either of them, so he registered for a Pfizer or Moderna as soon as it became available for him this morning.

I'm 56, and I considered registering for the AstraZeneca, but it appears to have low efficacy against the B.1.351 variant, which is spreading in Québec where I will need to spend an extended period later this summer. So I will probably wait.

Toronto is opening to 55+ so you can register (assuming you are in the Toronto Health Unit). Peel is as well I think, Halton is going to 60. Age groups are rapidly changing.

Scary, young people are getting infected & falling seriously ill. The new variant looks worse than anything that we have seen before.

Because the variants are much more transmissible, “more patients and people who will get infected with variants are more likely to have severe disease,” he explained, “progressing much more quickly from being well [to] being extremely sick, over the course of just a few days.” Their lungs are severely damaged, and so doctors say they need added life support.

I've not met one person who declares their tips on their taxes.
The whole system sucks. I say we raise restaurant workers to at least regular min wage and try to stamp out tipping. It is a bizarre and highly unfair system. It also means servers have to put up with a lot of shit from customers to pay their bills. It's demeaning.

Isn't that very strongly discouraged? As in, made to be difficult.
My GP retired in 2018 and with all the media negativity on the topic I expected to have a very difficult time finding a replacement GP. But not so, I just called my local GP office and had a introductory appointment the next week. Don’t listen to the hype, just call some clinics. The trick is not to be one of those whiner, time sucking patients.

My GP retired in 2018 and with all the media negativity on the topic I expected to have a very difficult time finding a replacement GP. But not so, I just called my local GP office and had a introductory appointment the next week. Don’t listen to the hype, just call some clinics. The trick is not to be one of those whiner, time sucking patients.
I don't think it's hard when you don't have a GP, just if it seems like you're 'doctor shopping'.

The best thing is to discuss your personal medical health and risk profile with a medical professional and not make your decision based on alarmist media headlines and hype.
Indeed. There’s a much higher risk of clots from birth control pills than the AstraZeneca vaccine.

There’s a prothrombin gene mutation that runs in my maternal family (I lucked out and *don’t* have it), but had my mother only been offered AZ, I’d have encouraged her to take it. That mutation killed her father, and at least two cousins. She survived three clots before the gene mutation was found, but given it’s now managed with daily Coumadin, even her risk is low.

And let’s not forget; the virus itself can cause clotting. I’d rather see my mother risk a clot from the AZ vaccine than the clots caused by this virus.

Last edited:

Back