News   Aug 15, 2024
 324     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 498     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 656     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

This document goes into more detail. Public transport workers are part of Phase 2, Group 2. This is scheduled to begin in June. But maybe it’ll come in a month earlier, given that we weren’t even supposed to be doing 75 year olds until right now.

Bank staff are in Phase 2 but someone like myself who works condo security has to wait until phase 3.

Security staff are not in the same league as special constables or police but we still have close contact with alot of people.

This is BS

This document goes into more detail. Public transport workers are part of Phase 2, Group 2. This is scheduled to begin in June. But maybe it’ll come in a month earlier, given that we weren’t even supposed to be doing 75 year olds until right now.
I suspect the timeline will get moved up. We are getting a lot of vaccine in April.

I know a restaurateur indirectly. Apparently he's pretty content with his take-out business. Probably not typical though. He owns his premises so doesn't have to meet a rent payment and has been able to cut back on staff.

Yeah i know few places like that, and others that lucked out with long term lease agreements, they are paying cheap rents.

Some of our local restaurants have been busier than they have ever been because there has been a huge local push to support them. Takeout works for some type of food (pub fare) but not so much for fine dining. Lack of alcohol sales is a big kicker, too.

All my take out is from independent local restaurants. And i don't ever order through third party apps like Skip or Uber Eats, i get in house delivery or pick up directly from the restaurant

Third party apps cost restaurants 10% to 30% off of each order. And people are using third party sites to scam restaurants to get free food. :mad:

Third party apps cost restaurants 10% to 30% off of each order. And people are using third party sites to scam restaurants to get free food. :mad:

Nothing new, just a new platform, and the app service just washes their hands of it. We have nothing delivered; we go and pick it up. Non-alcohol restaurant margins are thin and some share or skim wait staff tips. Back in the before times when we actually sat in a restaurant, I would usually try to leave the tip in cash rather that tack it onto the bill.

Non-alcohol restaurant margins are thin and some share or skim wait staff tips

Sharing tips is common in the industry. This is because some people like the chefs can't earn tips despite cooking the food.

It's not about stealing from servers It's about equity. I used to bus tables as a 20 year old and in doing so worked just as hard as the servers if not harder so they could make money.

I didn't earn the tips directly and I had limited interaction with customers but I sure as hell busted my ass.

Sharing tips is common in the industry. This is because some people like the chefs can't earn tips despite cooking the food.

It's not about stealing from servers It's about equity. I used to bus tables as a 20 year old and in doing so worked just as hard as the servers if not harder so they could make money.

I didn't earn the tips directly and I had limited interaction with customers but I sure as hell busted my ass.

Fair points. The smaller restaurants we tend to infrequently frequent don't usually have bus staff. The way I figure it, the tip if for the quality of the service, not the food. Perhaps if restaurants put a small statement on their menu on how tips are handled. Besides, are bus and kitchen staff expected to claim to the CRA?

Agreed. We do pick up or direct delivery. No third party apps.
Same. I've been trying to order take-out from my favourite local restaurant during the last year. Not always easy on EI, but I try and support them as much as I can. Me and my ex were regulars and got to know a lot of the staff well so both of us try and support them as much as possible. We went to the patio on Tuesday (we both live alone, so it was nice to see another person), but I guess I wont be doing that for a few more months, as I doubt this will only last 28 days in Toronto.

Aaaah, good to know I'm good enough to go to work and break my back on the daily but not good enough to have a pint with the lads on a patio after work.

Science.

Sorry, I meant taxes.

idiots.

Nice to see you lot. Be well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair points. The smaller restaurants we tend to infrequently frequent don't usually have bus staff. The way I figure it, the tip if for the quality of the service, not the food. Perhaps if restaurants put a small statement on their menu on how tips are handled. Besides, are bus and kitchen staff expected to claim to the CRA?

I've not met one person who declares their tips on their taxes.

Last edited:
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned here yet, the age limit now lowered to 55.

My father and mother are turning 55 this year and I mentioned this to them. My family has a history of health issues involving strokes and aneurisms so with the reports of blood clot issues my father opted not to take the AstraZeneca vaccine at the local pharmacy.

My mother works at TPS as a Civilian so she is waiting to be vaccinated through her work where she may be able to get Pfizer or Moderna.

Even myself, at 33 years old I am leery about the AstraZeneca vaccine because of all the noted issues. I feel much more comfortable with Pfizer to be quite honest with you. On my fathers side I have stroke and aneurism issues while on my mothers side I have blood pressure issues. I prefer not to take AstraZeneca if there is a risk of ANY complications.

Even myself, at 33 years old I am leery about the AstraZeneca vaccine because of all the noted issues. I feel much more comfortable with Pfizer to be quite honest with you. On my fathers side I have stroke and aneurism issues while on my mothers side I have blood pressure issues. I prefer not to take AstraZeneca if there is a risk of ANY complications.

That is a standard that any injection/vaccination is unlikely to meet.

The standard flu shot is commonly thought (and been shown in some studies (non-conclusive) to have a 1 in 500,000 chance of triggering Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)..

Most shots also show some risk of severe allergic reaction, though again, this would be quite rare.

I say that not to be alarmist in any way; those risks are really very, very low.

But zero-risk is not likely attainable.

From the above:

During December 21, 2020–January 10, 2021, monitoring by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System detected 10 cases of anaphylaxis after administration of a reported 4,041,396 first doses of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine (2.5 cases per million doses administered). In nine cases, onset occurred within 15 minutes of vaccination. No anaphylaxis-related deaths were reported.

A previous analysis of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, also an mRNA vaccine, estimated an initial rate of 11.1 cases per million doses administered after receipt of the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine

That's a pretty low risk-profile. But not zero.

That is a standard that any injection/vaccination is unlikely to meet.

The standard flu shot is commonly thought (and been shown in some studies (non-conclusive) to have a 1 in 500,000 chance of triggering Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)..

Most shots also show some risk of severe allergic reaction, though again, this would be quite rare.

I say that not to be alarmist in any way; those risks are really very, very low.

But zero-risk is not likely attainable.

From the above:

During December 21, 2020–January 10, 2021, monitoring by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System detected 10 cases of anaphylaxis after administration of a reported 4,041,396 first doses of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine (2.5 cases per million doses administered). In nine cases, onset occurred within 15 minutes of vaccination. No anaphylaxis-related deaths were reported.

A previous analysis of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, also an mRNA vaccine, estimated an initial rate of 11.1 cases per million doses administered after receipt of the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine

That's a pretty low risk-profile. But not zero.

I completely agree but when I have a family history of health issues that involve complications from blood clots I prefer not to chance it. I can recover from the chills or a sore arm without issue but if I stroke out that's a different problem.

Back