News   Jul 11, 2024
 659     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 684     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

ETk-uc1WoBM4K8B

From link.

Canadians are like American lite.

They dont mind if people die mostly in LTC homes if they can enjoy the summer.

Restrictions on movement of people who are neither residents, nor staff of LTCs; when visitors are banned, will not have a material effect on LTC Covid rates.

Staff of said facilities should be cautious; but if they (and members of their households) practice social distancing, its workable.

Of course, regular (twice a week or more) testing of LTC staff and residents should be standard for the next while as well.

The suggestion that people don't care is horse@#$#.

Of course there are exceptions.

Those people who truly don't care haven't been adhering the guidance from day one; so more opening doesn't change things in that regard.

You really are prone to these reactionary shoot from the lip hot takes.

Its possible to disagree with government strategy (I certainly do, in many respects); to sympathize with LTC residents, and their families and still express that in a nuanced, informed way.

And now our migrant workers, who do work we can't be bothered doing, are getting sick.

Three points.

1) We allow housing for these workers which is not remotely socially distant; sometimes 6 or more to a room.

That wasn't ok before Covid; its downright irresponsible during Covid.

2) Every single person allowed in to do this work ought to have been tested before leaving their home country, and again on arrival here. I hope that was done; I fear it was not.

3) I have every sympathy for these workers; but let me say, I think many Canadians would do this work, IF we applied the Employment Standards Act in full to agricultural workers...........

(They are largely exempt from minimum wage, from overtime, from all sorts of provisions)

AND, of course, the pay was better.

We need to acknowledge these workers are being exploited in normal times; that exploitation lowers the cost of our produce, both domestically and for trade purposes.

We ought not to do that; but we have to have the discussion about a fair price for food; and also how our trade agreements allow in produce from other countries, notably the United States
who do business in the very same way.

This means unless they also raised employment standards in agriculture, we would have to deliver new subsides to farms for our products to remain competitive.

I would happily support raising standards for agricultural workers and footing the bill either way; regardless of who ends up doing the work.

Australian study out suggesting that Humidity (not temperature) significantly slows transmission.

The study is very limited, looking at Sydney for a period of about a month.

But other preliminary research does suggest a material effect.

This makes intuitive sense as moisture in the air would serve to capture some ballistic particulate, and increase its weight, causing it to fall to the ground.

* note, even if this turns out to be accurate, it will not change indoor risk, in most air conditioned environments, as these are typically de-humidified by the a/c system.

The lockdown in the US is starting to dissolve in the public psyche, after the protests laid bare the incoherence of government messaging- we'll see how things turn out in a few weeks:

yeah being in Brampton a lot of people are just not caring anymore since victoria day weekend.

Traffic on roads around me has returned to normal levels mostly especially during the day and weekends.
In Canada, I think that the fear is fading away for a fair number of people, and that they're reasoning that things should be fine if they take some precautions (i.e. masks, distancing, and/or sanitation).

For instance, have been seeing increasing numbers of families out on evening walks recently. In fact, probably the most people I've seen walking in the suburbs, ironically.

IMO- it may be time to start considering a more localized lockdown approach that targets susceptible populations (i.e. LTCs) and hotspots.

Last edited:
I saw that. With my August UK trip in the crapper I’m thinking where can I go in Ontario for some fun. Maybe a cottage rental?

My building and I saw that earlier. They may attempt to temporarily ban them under the guise of preventing undue harm to the occupants of the building.

Our AGM is later this month and I can see there being a push to ban them.

Also why is enforcement so harsh in Brampton.

I went to my finances house in Vaughan and there are groups of 4-10 people chilling in parking lots outside chatting like its nothing.

People zipping around on scooters with no helmets

Also i noticed the roads this week are very busy i would say back to 70% of normal traffic.

From CTV:

Surprise, surprise. So guess what - it isn't travel to East Asia that was the issue - and the focus on it proved to be the soft-underbelly of the line against transmission.

AoD

Last edited:
There was a lot of focus and contact tracing of cases from china but people were flying from Italy to Canada on full flights till mid march with no checks on anyone.

Back