News   Aug 07, 2024
 975     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 925     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 539     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Article from the Globe and Mail on how many LTCs lack air conditioning; and that can be enough of a challenged normally (sometimes lethal to residents), but when you have a need for PPE, its disaster in the making.

Note that in Ontario LTCs built today are still not required to have the rooms air conditioned, only the common areas; and of course, many older facilities don't even have that.

Article from the Globe and Mail on how many LTCs lack air conditioning; and that can be enough of a challenged normally (sometimes lethal to residents), but when you have a need for PPE, its disaster in the making.

Note that in Ontario LTCs built today are still not required to have the rooms air conditioned, only the common areas; and of course, many older facilities don't even have that.

New facilities or remodelling of LTC should have air conditioning along the lines of hospital operating rooms. Circulate fresh air in and out from outdoors, using HEPA filters and UV lights, to kill 99.9% of most viruses, bacteria, yeasts, and mold spores.

Hundreds of positive COVID-19 tests not reported to Ontario public health units

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

TORONTO -- Public health staff are scrambling to conduct contact tracing for hundreds of positive COVID-19 cases that were not flagged to local public health agencies in Ontario due to a reporting error.

Ontario Health says after a "thorough investigation," it was discovered that COVID-19 test results from one provincial lab had not been reported to 12 local public health units where the cases reside.

The lab, Ontario Health confirmed, was used by the William Osler Health System and the majority of tests came from the drive-thru assessment centre at Etobicoke General Hospital.

Most of the cases involve residents of Toronto, Peel Region, and York Region.

Officials say the people who were tested had access to their test results online and public health units have now started the process of contact tracing and case management, starting with those who had been tested in the last 14 days.

Lake of the Ozarks pool partier tests positive for coronavirus

SPRINGFIELD, Missouri -- A week after images of Memorial Day weekend revelers jammed into a Lake of the Ozarks pool party at Backwater Jack's Bar & Grill in Osage Beach made international headlines, the Camden County Health Department announced that a Boone County resident tested positive for the novel coronavirus after visiting the Lake of the Ozarks area over the holiday weekend.

The Boone County subject arrived at the lake on Saturday, May 23, and "developed illness" on Sunday, according to a news release obtained by LakeNewsOnline.com, which like the News-Leader is part of the USA TODAY Network.

The infected person "was likely incubating illness and possibly infectious at the time of the visit," the health department said.

The health department released a timeline of possible COVID-19 exposures "due to the need to inform mass numbers of unknown people."

Lake of the Ozarks pool partier tests positive for coronavirus
That's nothing, in two weeks we'll see thousands of more cases in the USA among the protesters and their families. As it is, African Americans are already at greater risk of Covid infection and death.

The Covid response in Ontario is really upsetting me in a way few other issues have before. I never thought we were that incompetent as a society. The initial curve flattening was encouraging but since then we have become one of the worst jurisdictions in the developed world. If Canadians ever had illusion’s as to having the best health care system in the world, we’ll wake up call, we have one of the worst based on our relative spending.

Ontario is now recording more new cases than entire countries that were hot spots earlier on in the pandemic with no end in sight. We don’t have to worry about a second wave because at this rate our first wave will never end

The Covid response in Ontario is really upsetting me in a way few other issues have before. I never thought we were that incompetent as a society. The initial curve flattening was encouraging but since then we have become one of the worst jurisdictions in the developed world. If Canadians ever had illusion’s as to having the best health care system in the world, we’ll wake up call, we have one of the worst based on our relative spending.

Ontario is now recording more new cases than entire countries that were hot spots earlier on in the pandemic with no end in sight. We don’t have to worry about a second wave because at this rate our first wave will never end

Unfortunately, with the Conservatives in charge, first priority is how much it will cost, not much many lives can we save. A lot of the measures made are "temporary" or incomplete for example.

Honestly, I'm really not surprised by Ontario's lame response. I'm tempted to rant, but I'll hold off.

I’m not blaming the health care system. Health care workers are doing their job and then some. We still have great health care. We have spotty leadership, however, and our health care needs proper support to function at optimum levels.

I’m not blaming the health care system. Health care workers are doing their job and then some. We still have great health care. We have spotty leadership, however, and our health care needs proper support to function at optimum levels.

As I said on Reddit if we are to get over this we need to tighten things up a bit.

I get that people are antsy but right now places like NYC, Italy, China, et al have things under control while we are stuck at 300-400 cases daily. NYC had a much worse situation later than we did but somehow they are much better off now.

It is not enough to say that we are on course and on track with only 400~ cases a day, we should be flat-lining or on the downside of the curve at this point instead of just plateauing.

I feel that the response by the conservative government here in Ontario needs work. If places like NYC can get things under control and reopen already so should we be able to. The current situation is unacceptable and completely bungled.

It has nothing to do with health spending - all to do with the inability of certain provincial governments to do what is necessary to beat the virus down. Mixed messages combined with a bad case of opening-up envy and the result is entirely predictable - and this will last a lot longer than it should because of these misteps. The medical system was fine - it was everything around it that had fallen short.

AoD

Back