News   Jul 12, 2024
 886     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 795     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Nations Experience supermarket at the Stockyards has also implemented a rule where wearing a face mask/covering is mandatory to get into the store. I've heard that they may provide you with one if you don't have one already. They also seem to have ample stock for sale.

I have to say to Canadian's credits, we seem to be flattening the curve. If we were following USA, Italy, Spain, UK or France by now Canada would have ten times what we have now.

As for the US number's don't believe them....

I had the biggest sigh and eye roll ever when I read the latter part of this Trump quote from the other day:

"Our relationship with Canada is very good -- we'll talk about that. It will be one of the early borders to be released," the president said. "Canada's doing well, we're doing well -- so we'll see."

You guys are levelheaded and rational...

So today I was having a group chat with friends and some of my friends said "China is to blame for Corona" while others said that is racist.

Now My opinion is that there is no excuse to be racist against a country however if a plane crashes you do want to know why it crashed as well?

Like cant two things be true at once?
1. The world responded badly to the pandemic and should have done a better job?
2. Safety, health and cultural practises in China allow an environment for viruses to transmit easily between animals and humans?

I find today there is a great lack of nuance in debate and it seems we want to assume the worst in people (I think I am guilty of that sometimes)

China is the source of the virus. Someone needs to explain to me how that is racist since it is a well established fact. As to assigning blame, if that is important, then it depends. Is it the culture that practices what are widely recognized as unsafe food handling practices? If that is true, then any number of countries are in the same boat. Is it the state that allowed the practice to continue and apparently bungled the response?

I have to say to Canadian's credits, we seem to be flattening the curve. If we were following USA, Italy, Spain, UK or France by now Canada would have ten times what we have now.

As for the US number's don't believe them....

The article shows a difference in positivity rate of about 2.7x in the US vs Canada.

While their CFR (mortality rate) is slightly over 3x Canada's.

* worth adding at this junction, different ways/counts of testing; and different standards for assigning cause of death exist even among provinces, let alone between countries, making this a fairly crude comparison.

But overall, based on results as best we can see them; the U.S. result is about 3x worse.

Rather that point out the reasons that is; I'd rather focus on what Canada could be doing better.

Finland has a less than 1/2 our death rate; Iceland is about 20% lower.

We should always measure ourselves against the best; the the laggards.

Canada is flattening the coronavirus curve. That’s ‘good news,’ expert explains

Updated April 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Encouragingly, public health experts say that a graph of positive tests shows that the sacrifice is working.

“This is a good-news graph,” says Steven Hoffman of York University.

“The good news is that it’s not a straight line and that it’s actually curving downwards, which is exactly what we would want to see. These lines don’t show that the outbreak is ending. The number of cases might be going up. It’s just not going up as fast as we would have expected in the absence of intervention.”

The University of Toronto’s Ashleigh Tuite agrees.

“Overall, it’s a positive graph,” she says. “All the provinces are bending — you want them to be as flat as possible. They are all headed in the right direction, which is a positive sign.”

Canadians will now be required to wear face coverings during flights:

Hmm.... in December I booked a three week family trip to the UK in early August. I’ll wait until end of June before I decide about canceling it and fighting for a refund. But I don’t think I’d want to fly anywhere, anytime with a mask on - that flight I would cancel. That said, I‘ve always sanitized my seat, tray table, touch screen and arm rests.

Hmm.... in December I booked a three week family trip to the UK in early August. I’ll wait until end of June before I decide about canceling it and fighting for a refund. But I don’t think I’d want to fly anywhere, anytime with a mask on - that flight I would cancel. That said, I‘ve always sanitized my seat, tray table, touch screen and arm rests.

I'm with you. I can't imagine wearing a mask for that length of time.

I would cancel for sure. No way i would wear a hot mask for that duration. Plus the UK has banned mass gatherings and events until August 31. I don't even know if bars, restaurants or tourist attractions will be open by then. This year is a write off for most of the world. Try again next year.

Back