News   Jul 12, 2024
 885     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 795     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 331     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I'm holding off international travel until mid to late-2021 at earliest. Too much uncertainty, especially with future waves of the virus that can emerge at various times depending on which part of the world.

So I was listening to TVO The Agenda and thought it was interesting discussion with the virus impact to Long-Term Care homes.

Samir Sinha is a top flight expert in the field; and someone I very much appreciate.

I think in respect of the staffing and training issues, he's right on point.

What he didn't say, that needs to be said is the strong link between outbreaks and homes with more than one bed to a room.

There have been few outbreaks in homes which are entirely or mostly private rooms.

The worst outbreaks in Ontario have been facilities with up to 4 beds in a room.

This is not a surprise that this leads to contagion.

Hospitals have been mandated to shift to 100% private rooms as they redevelop for sometime now.

LTC homes in Ontario are mandated to drop to a max. of 2 to room by 2024 (though many homes are not on pace to meet this).

But there is not mandate to shift to private rooms at any point in the future; and there needs to be if we are going to minimize the risk of future outbreaks.

Studies/Reports below in support of that position.

B.C. health officials: Mid-May earliest possible time to lift COVID-19 restrictions

Updated April 17, 2020 9:36 pm

B.C. health officials say measures put in place to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus are working, but restrictions won’t be lifted until the middle of May at the earliest.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says officials are looking at a re-opening of the health-care system in May as a first step, but a huge number of barriers still need to be cleared.

“For the health-care system to start ramping up again — outpatient visits, surgeries, diagnosis test increases … these things need to happen in tandem. But we need to do it in a way that does not increase risk of people coming together, spreading the virus and transmitting it,” Henry said.

“We have to find that balance of opening the economy, (and) having business going while maintaining some of the restrictions we have in place. It won’t be back-to-school, everyone mingling. It might be a gradual return with smaller numbers in graduated classrooms. So some kids part of the day and some kids for other parts of the day.”

The province released another set of complex modelling data on Friday that suggests B.C. is flattening the curve when it comes to confirmed COVID-19 cases and is well ahead of the Canadian average.

the UK has banned mass gatherings and events until August 31.
It has?

Latest UK media says: “Dominic Raab has extended the UK coronavirus lockdown for 'at least' three weeks, until May 7”.

I don’t think I can easily cancel for refund if travel restrictions are lifted. We have booked West End theatre tickets, steam train outing in Pickering, etc. If all these things are closed or if the airline and overall travel ban is still on then I think we’ll have to cancel. We‘ll see.

Here’s what TD Expedia says on their travel site. I’ll check back with them after April 30.

If your flight is scheduled to depart after April 30, 2020:
Please wait and check back closer to your date of departure for the latest policies. If you do want to cancel today, you can do so from the My Trips page, but please be aware that all normal cancel penalties will apply.

If your hotel stay is scheduled to begin after April 30, 2020:
Please wait and check back closer to your date of departure for the latest policies. If you do want to cancel today, you can do so from the My Trips page, but please be aware that all normal cancel penalties will apply.

Last edited:
China is the source of the virus. Someone needs to explain to me how that is racist since it is a well established fact. As to assigning blame, if that is important, then it depends. Is it the culture that practices what are widely recognized as unsafe food handling practices? If that is true, then any number of countries are in the same boat. Is it the state that allowed the practice to continue and apparently bungled the response?

Issue is China is unique in the scale of exotic animal wet Markets. There are wet markets in India but you don't have bats sold beside chickens.

Also SARS 2003 already occurred due to such practices and almost every disease expert warned that the next pandemic would come from China due to these practices.

I feel that is the major issue with political correctness is that we become so hyper obsessed around not offending someone is that we forget that the truth is the truth even if it offends someone for pointing it out.
We are very worried about racism towards Asians and any decent person would be worried about that. However, we cant escape the reality that unless China cleans up the exotic wet markets, its a huge danger to us all.

Like the issue is around the safety of Humanity and not putting down a people.

Issue is China is unique in the scale of exotic animal wet Markets.
I’ll be 50 in 2021. I remember when China didn’t have this hold and impact on the world. Toys or electronics if they came from Asia were made in British Hong Kong, Japan or Singapore. It wasn’t that long ago that China didn’t dominate our economies, labour standards, universities, tourism and trade. I know we can’t put the genie back in the bottle, but life was okay pre-China.

In a newly released interview, taped on March 16, Recode co-founder and newly appointed New York Magazine Editor-at-Large Kara Swisher called Trump an “epic troll,” saying his use of Twitter (TWTR) to spread misinformation has hampered the federal response to the coronavirus outbreak and put lives at risk.

“It's a dangerous tool in his hands,” she says of Trump, who has 77.4 million followers on the platform. “This whole crisis has sort of been a backlash to that.”

“It's fascinating how badly he's handled Twitter during this crisis,” she adds. “I think people don't like falsehoods, you know, his political attacks are one thing but this is people's lives. And when he's lying about actual science, it's a problem.”

Trump spread a number of false or misleading statements on Twitter in recent weeks. On Feb. 24, he tweeted: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.” On that day, the Centers for Disease Control reported 53 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S.; as of Saturday morning, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. rose to more than 706,000, according to Johns Hopkins University

On March 9, Trump posted two misleading tweets that blamed a market plunge on an oil price war and “Fake News,” and emphasized the comparatively small number of deaths caused by the coronavirus as opposed to the seasonal flu. Around the world, roughly 6.4% of people infected with the coronavirus have died worldwide, though that death rate is like an over-count, as deaths are easier to track than infections, the New York Times reported.

Nevertheless, the mortality rate of the coronavirus is thought to be higher than that of the seasonal flu, which kills 0.1% of infected individuals, Johns Hopkins University says.

Less than two weeks after the March 9 tweets, Trump tweeted that a combination of anti-malaria medicine hydroxychloroquine and antibiotic azithromycin “have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changes in the history of medicine.”

In a newly released interview, taped on March 16, Recode co-founder and newly appointed New York Magazine Editor-at-Large Kara Swisher called Trump an “epic troll,” saying his use of Twitter (TWTR) to spread misinformation has hampered the federal response to the coronavirus outbreak and put lives at risk.

“It's a dangerous tool in his hands,” she says of Trump, who has 77.4 million followers on the platform. “This whole crisis has sort of been a backlash to that.”

“It's fascinating how badly he's handled Twitter during this crisis,” she adds. “I think people don't like falsehoods, you know, his political attacks are one thing but this is people's lives. And when he's lying about actual science, it's a problem.”

Trump spread a number of false or misleading statements on Twitter in recent weeks. On Feb. 24, he tweeted: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA.” On that day, the Centers for Disease Control reported 53 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S.; as of Saturday morning, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. rose to more than 706,000, according to Johns Hopkins University

On March 9, Trump posted two misleading tweets that blamed a market plunge on an oil price war and “Fake News,” and emphasized the comparatively small number of deaths caused by the coronavirus as opposed to the seasonal flu. Around the world, roughly 6.4% of people infected with the coronavirus have died worldwide, though that death rate is like an over-count, as deaths are easier to track than infections, the New York Times reported.

Nevertheless, the mortality rate of the coronavirus is thought to be higher than that of the seasonal flu, which kills 0.1% of infected individuals, Johns Hopkins University says.

Less than two weeks after the March 9 tweets, Trump tweeted that a combination of anti-malaria medicine hydroxychloroquine and antibiotic azithromycin “have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changes in the history of medicine.”

Recode is the newsletter of California’s information technology trade. Of course they have to be critical of Trump. But that doesn’t stop its sweetheart leaders like Twitter from making like robbers with the publicity and growth. Anyone else who spread lies and hate like Trump would have been banned from Twitter years ago. The hypocrisy from Silicon Valley is clear.

Meticulous and Orderly, Germany Can Handle a Pandemic

Picture the opposite of the U.S. under Donald Trump during the Covid-19 outbreak. That’s Germany under Angela Merkel.

By Andreas Kluth
April 16, 2020, 12:30 AM EDT

www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-04-16/coronavirus-meticulous-germany-knows-how-to-handle-a-pandemic
Bloomberg doesn’t need to go to Germany to find sound management of Covid19.

With 83 million people, as of today, Germany has 141,968 Covid19 cases and 4,377 deaths. With 44% of the population of Germany, Canada has 31,927 cases (22% of Germany) and 1,310 deaths (30% of Germany). And Canada is situated directly beside the global epicentre of the pandemic, with a claimed, and likely dramatically underreported 710,000 cases and 37,000 deaths in the USA.

Germany is certainly doing better than its poorly organized and prepared French, Italian and Spanish neighbours, but clearly Bloomberg cited Germany’s example purely to annoy and poke Trump. I’m however glad Bloomberg didn’t pick Canada as we don’t need the hassle from Trump.

TrumpGermanyW.jpg

Last edited:
Banning certain politicians on Twitter is a slippery slope argument.

Some would argue Trump should be banned...then what about everyone in a far right party in Europe?

It is why i don't like deplatforming arguments because I know some people who want to deplatform Pewdiepie and Joe Rogan for being "alt right".

It has?

Latest UK media says: “Dominic Raab has extended the UK coronavirus lockdown for 'at least' three weeks, until May 7”.

I don’t think I can easily cancel for refund if travel restrictions are lifted. We have booked West End theatre tickets, steam train outing in Pickering, etc. If all these things are closed or if the airline and overall travel ban is still on then I think we’ll have to cancel. We‘ll see.

Here’s what TD Expedia says on their travel site. I’ll check back with them after April 30.

If your flight is scheduled to depart after April 30, 2020:

If your hotel stay is scheduled to begin after April 30, 2020:

This is why you should never book through third-party vendors like Expedia. I have lost count how many people i know who have had problems with flights because of third party booking sites. Always book directly with the airline.

England is going to have extend the shutdown to avert catastrophe. Like i said, this summer is over. Try again next year.

This is why you should never book through third-party vendors like Expedia.
My TD travel gold visa has some additional cancelation protections. I hope to get at least half back, but really it’s not going to break the bank. Im easy going about it, let’s see what happens in May.

This not eating out, no movies, not driving and not much consumption other than groceries is nicely reducing our family expenses. On another topic, I wonder how the anti-vaxers will take to a rushed to market Covid19 vaccine?

A look at Ontario's numbers from today.

New Cases up 5.1%, this is a real improvement, as we've been hovering just over 6 for several days.

Also, over 9,000 tests yesterday which is also an improving number.

Total in Hospital: -1 (0% change4)

Total in ICU +5 (+2%) , but following declines the last few days, this appears stable.

Total on Vents - 3 ( - 0.5%)

Deaths: 36 in the last day, down from 55 yesterday, and even more the day prior.

Trendlines are looking positive.

48.7% of cases are now considered resolved (person has recovered from infection, now symptom free for extended period)

Ontario is currently using only 21% of its Ventilator capacity, available capacity varies by region, but none is using more than 34% of capacity.

1587221944373.png

1587221925237.png

Also in good news today: York Region is reopening its forests and hiking trails; with enforcement of social distancing between trail users, dogs-on-leash and no littering.

?

Back