News   Jul 12, 2024
 875     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 784     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 328     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Valid point, Admiral. I would say some fields less so than others (accountants, engineers, other business professionals, even scientists or academics probably being easiest to settle into our institutions immediately, whereas nurses, doctors, lawyers I would imagine tend to have a more difficult go of things).

Those countries do need their own professionals, you are correct, but I'm not sure we should feel bad for allowing skilled people, who are lining up in droves to come into our country, into our country. Yes, it will damage their own country, making it harder / longer for them to achieve relative parity, but if we don't accept them, the UK or US or an EU country, or Australia will - unfortunately we're not one, big global family who can all agree to co-operate in the name of developing less fortunate countries; so we might as well take advantage of the immigration market, lest we be left behind.

Valid point, Admiral. I would say some fields less so than others (accountants, engineers, other business professionals, even scientists or academics probably being easiest to settle into our institutions immediately, whereas nurses, doctors, lawyers I would imagine tend to have a more difficult go of things).

Those countries do need their own professionals, you are correct, but I'm not sure we should feel bad for allowing skilled people, who are lining up in droves to come into our country, into our country. Yes, it will damage their own country, making it harder / longer for them to achieve relative parity, but if we don't accept them, the UK or US or an EU country, or Australia will - unfortunately we're not one, big global family who can all agree to co-operate in the name of developing less fortunate countries; so we might as well take advantage of the immigration market, lest we be left behind.
Sometimes their native countries has failed them, as it had in my parents' cases. You only live one life, and I can understand why many decide to do their best for themselves and their loved ones to get out of a terrible, corrupt system and to immigrate to Canada. Especially when you have the brains, technical skills, and work experience to do so.

We should not spent too much time feeling bad about it, but rather be grateful that they chose us.

In regards to how the COVID crisis affects immigration, I am not so sure if I am convinced that slowing down immigration intake will help lower the unemployment rate or have all that huge of an impact. I am anticipating a strong bounce-back in the economy as things return to normal, confidence in the market returns, and people start working again.

Yeah people from developing countries move the Canada, USA, Germany etc for lifestyle and/or due to frustration with their home countries (as WislaHD said above). Nobody's kidnapping the scientists and doctors. If they feel 'scammed' they can return to their home countries, which they do.

At this day and age, an abundance of information is available so there isn't a lot of merit to saying one country is scamming another country's citizens.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC

I'm sorry to think but we should probably drastically lower immigration levels for the next few years.

The demand for jobs won't be there.

This is more like a statement to appease a kind of base than anything else. It's not like Quebec is swamped with immigrants anyway. A lot of immigrants that do immigrate to Quebec within those reduced levels don't settle there long term either...

Looks like Trump wants to look at easing restrictions at the Canada-US border sometime soon. Concerning point for Ontario as New York and Michigan have been hit especially hard. And then air travel being a factor of course.

Last edited:
I have no issue with bringing immigrants.

The issue is the govt drastically scaling up immigration levels beforehand and if it is valid if it makes sense to continue to do that during a historic economic downturn.

I feel too much of the immigration debate in Canada is binary when it's on a continuum.
The debate in Canada is not no immigration or a lot of immigration it is what is the level of immigration

I feel we are just going to bring a lot of people to live in poverty and competing for govt resoruces.

Bombardier to help make 18,000 ventilators at shuttered Thunder Bay plant

The Canadian Press April 16, 2020

MONTREAL — Bombardier Inc. is helping to produce 18,000 ventilators for the Ontario government at its temporarily shuttered plant in Thunder Bay, Ont.

The plane-and-train maker says it will carry out sanding, painting and assembly work on the equipment for Brampton, Ont.-based O-Two Medical Technologies, which manufactures respiratory care products.

O-Two found its supply chain disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic and started hunting for help to churn out portable ventilators amid a looming shortage in Canada, Bombardier said in an email.

The plant expects to start work on April 27, drawing on between 40 and 50 employees — most of whom had been temporarily laid off — over three to four months.

Coronavirus: Trump's WHO move makes zero sense, says Melinda Gates

Philanthropist Melinda Gates has told BBC Radio 5 Live it makes "zero sense" for US President Donald Trump to halt funding for the World Health Organization (WHO) during the coronavirus crisis.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the second-largest funder of the WHO, behind the United States.

Not exactly a matter of great import, and not something most or all of us aren't doing. But there is something oddly pleasing in seeing a Federal cabinet minister lining up to get into a grocery store like everyone else.

1587066322916.png

I'd like to see this kind of fine implemented in Toronto as well:

Oakville strengthens penalties for littering masks, disposable gloves

By Tom Yun Staff Reporter
Thu., April 16, 2020

The Town of Oakville is bringing in an extra penalty of $300 to combat the littering of masks, disposable gloves and other personal protective equipment.

A new bylaw, which was enacted on April 9, add this penalty on top of the minimum fine of $100 for anyone caught littering in parks or public places.

Back