News   Jul 12, 2024
 875     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 785     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 328     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I’ll be 50 in 2021. I remember when China didn’t have this hold and impact on the world. Toys or electronics if they came from Asia were made in British Hong Kong, Japan or Singapore. It wasn’t that long ago that China didn’t dominate our economies, labour standards, universities, tourism and trade. I know we can’t put the genie back in the bottle, but life was okay pre-China.
That period of time that you speak of was also far from the historical norm. Throughout human history, China has always been a major (and often the primary) player in the world stage with the sole exception of the past two hundred years. Now that they have industrialized their economy, we are merely returning to historical norms.

New reality or return to reality, it makes no difference however, China simply can't allow those wet markets to continue operating when the risks are so evident. I hope there is a global response to China on this through the international channels. We can't allow another massive global economic disruption and human loss of life due to a preventable pandemic, plus those wet markets are also destroying some of our planet's rich biodiversity.

That period of time that you speak of was also far from the historical norm. Throughout human history, China has always been a major (and often the primary) player in the world stage with the sole exception of the past two hundred years. Now that they have industrialized their economy, we are merely returning to historical norms.

New reality or return to reality, it makes no difference however, China simply can't allow those wet markets to continue operating when the risks are so evident. I hope there is a global response to China on this through the international channels. We can't allow another massive global economic disruption and human loss of life due to a preventable pandemic, plus those wet markets are also destroying some of our planet's rich biodiversity.

Things is most of the trade over great long distances was for exotic goods then essential goods I think no?

New reality or return to reality, it makes no difference however, China simply can't allow those wet markets to continue operating when the risks are so evident.
We need to define what we want. China's seafood markets are considered wet markets too. Perhaps trade in wild animals for meat should stop - though they raise bears in China for meat and mystic "meds", so is that the same as farming pigs? I do wonder if this virus escaped from a lab in China. No, not a WMD or weapons lab, but just a regular virology research lab, same as we have in Canada.

We need to define what we want. China's seafood markets are considered wet markets too. Perhaps trade in wild animals for meat should stop - though they raise bears in China for meat and mystic "meds", so is that the same as farming pigs? I do wonder if this virus escaped from a lab in China. No, not a WMD or weapons lab, but just a regular virology research lab, same as we have in Canada.

I wonder how much international trade there really is for what we consider wild animals. Perhaps some other Asian cultures eat Koala - I don't know. As far as I know, legitimate trade in wild meat is strictly controlled by many nations, certainly most Western nations, to the point of being largely illegal. To be sure, the blackmarket is thriving. I highly doubt that, even if bear is considered a domestic beast on the same plane as pigs or cattle, that their level of oversight for health and safety is anywhere close to what our agricultural and agi-businesses face. They could eat unicorns for all I care (their own, not pirated from other nations, like Koalas), provided they do it in a manner that doesn't threaten their population which then threatens ours. If they want to continue to have unacceptable standards, perhaps they can revert to their isolationist past.

I wonder how much international trade there really is for what we consider wild animals. Perhaps some other Asian cultures eat Koala - I don't know. As far as I know, legitimate trade in wild meat is strictly controlled by many nations, certainly most Western nations, to the point of being largely illegal. To be sure, the blackmarket is thriving. I highly doubt that, even if bear is considered a domestic beast on the same plane as pigs or cattle, that their level of oversight for health and safety is anywhere close to what our agricultural and agi-businesses face. They could eat unicorns for all I care (their own, not pirated from other nations, like Koalas), provided they do it in a manner that doesn't threaten their population which then threatens ours. If they want to continue to have unacceptable standards, perhaps they can revert to their isolationist past.

One can only hope that Asia will change their traditions in the face of this new threat but I highly doubt they will. I find that Asian cultures are very much set in their traditional ways. Wet markets are so much a part of their culture that it will be hard to eliminate them completely.

The only way wet markets and trade in wild animals will be eliminated is if they are outright banned by the Chinese and other Asian governments. I can see this happening given international backlash about their existance.

Think about it... SARS, Swine Flu, Coronavirus all originated in wet markets. If they cannot adhere to hygiene and safety standards then they should be banned

Think about it... SARS, Swine Flu, Coronavirus all originated in wet markets. If they cannot adhere to hygiene and safety standards then they should be banned

There's actually no definitive conclusion where this virus came from at all. A market was a random guess by someone with an agenda to claim it was from there.
China has 1/5th of the worlds population. It makes sense that more viral mutations would occur and then take hold from there on that fact alone.

Last edited:
There's actually no definitive conclusion where this virus came from at all. A market was a random guess by someone with an agenda to claim it was from there.
China has 1/5th of the worlds population. It makes sense that more viral mutations would occur and then take hold from there on that fact alone.

Many reasons to suspect China, they hid the commencement of outbreak and continues to hide the true rate of mortality . How is the next question. Scientists discovered coronaviruses in bats. Some people in China do eat bats and other animals that are known to spread viruses (pangolins, civets)

Or it came from a lab in China.

Many reasons to suspect China, they hid the commencement of outbreak and continues to hide the true rate of mortality . How is the next question. Scientists discovered coronaviruses in bats. Some people in China do eat bats and other animals that are known to spread viruses (pangolins, civets)

Or it came from a lab in China.

When I said "no definitive conclusion where this virus came from at all" it was in understanding it was from China, but with no real definitive "patient zero". "Some people in China do eat bats and other animals that are known to spread viruses" is a really huge generalization which is still not evidence that here. The lab article is more of a fantasy from people who watched a Hollywood movie than something we know is actually possible.

How many pandemic of a similar nature originated from india in the past 20 years...

Can we just get our heads out of pre covid overly pc behinds and look at some harsh truths here.

Every expert predicting china as a source a pandemic is not racism..its just science.

So after this is over we need to do better pandemic planning but also take steps to ensure that they are less chances of viruses becoming pandemics.

Also in good news today: York Region is reopening its forests and hiking trails; with enforcement of social distancing between trail users, dogs-on-leash and no littering.

?

Can I go? I haven't left my post code except for work in five weeks. I'm starting to get sick of this stretch of shoreline. ?

Back