News   Jul 12, 2024
 939     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 830     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 336     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Response from Toronto's CMO to the letter requesting wider sidewalks/bike lanes, space for social distancing.

1586969155503.png

The Globe and Mail (and UT's own) Alex Bozikovic, had this to say:

1586969239666.png

I couldn't agree more!

Response from Toronto's CMO to the letter requesting wider sidewalks/bike lanes, space for social distancing.

View attachment 240857

View attachment 240858

I couldn't agree more!

"Thank you for raising these sensible policy ideas that exist in every other city. Anyway, here are some reasons why that can't happen in Toronto, ever.

Thank you for your understanding. Stay home."

And how wonderful to hear that someone in power finally understands the concept of 'induced demand'. This was never a concern in any road project ever, but it takes a pedestrian and cycling initiative for them to bring this up so they can screw us.

Last edited:
And how wonderful to hear that someone in power finally understands the concept of 'induced demand'. This was never a concern in any road project ever, but it takes a pedestrian and cycling initiative for them to bring this up so they can screw us.

It's so twisted - politicians and bureaucrats in Toronto happily bend over for car drivers in perpetuity, but shudder at the suggestion that more be done to accommodate the needs of pedestrians and cyclists.

I've lost hope that we'll ever get a progressive mayor who will push for such initiatives.

We aren't locked down. That's my point.
I don't think we need to be. The purpose of the closures and social distancing is not to eradicate the virus but to slow its impact to a level that the health care system can manage. I'd say we're doing a good job there, for a nation of 37.5 million people our hospitals are not overwhelmed, we're not short of ventilators, we have (as of now) a total of 28,209 cases, of which 8,966 have recovered, with 1,007 deaths, of which about half are occurring outside of long-term care facilities. Outside of the terrible toil this is having on our warehoused seniors, I'd say our containment measures are doing well compared to most other impacted countries.

Reactions: DSC
I totally get that. But people are complaining about lockdown, and I'm just saying we're not there. We can still move around freely, because apparently "stay home" doesn't mean you really have to stay home judging by traffic and shopping places where I live. It seems to have become a game to compare how many trips you need to make to find Lysol.

Doug Ford slammed over delay of measure that protects nursing home residents from COVID-19 by limiting where staff can work

From link.

Premier Doug Ford is letting vulnerable seniors down by delaying a new measure restricting long-term-care staff to working in just one nursing home to slow the spread of COVID-19, New Democrats say.​
An emergency order made public Wednesday states the rule aimed at reducing the fast-rising number of outbreaks and deaths won’t take effect for another seven days and will be in place for just two weeks.​
Ford spoke with urgency about the need for the move to help “fortify the iron ring of protection” around nursing home residents, but that’s not apparent from the time lag, said NDP Leader Andrea Horwath.​
“We cannot waste a second now,” she said in a statement released after the premier promised an “all-out plan” that includes “COVID-19 swat teams” from hospitals being sent to hard-hit nursing homes to help control infections and take care of residents.​
“Restrictions much tighter than these should have been put in place weeks ago,” Horwath added, raising a concern that nursing-home workers from temp agencies will be exempt in a “giant loophole.”​
Staff affected by the restriction include nurses, personal support workers, kitchen and cleaning workers. The NDP and Registered Nurses Association of Ontario are among the organizations that have long called for limiting the number of homes at which health workers can be employed to lower the odds of outbreaks jumping from one facility to another.​

Long-term Care Minister Merrillee Fullerton, a former doctor, maintained the government has “acted swiftly and decisively” in recent weeks to restrict visitors to nursing homes, improve screening of staff and boost cleaning protocols.

There were no details, however, on the number of teams being sent to an unknown number of nursing homes in need of assistance.

“It’s already happening in some areas where the local hospitals have rallied,” said Fullerton, who could not provide examples.

The government promised more screening and testing for the new coronavirus in nursing homes.

There have been at least 144 deaths of residents in Ontario nursing homes — about 40 per cent of the official provincial tally — with more than 100 facilities reporting outbreaks and almost 500 staff testing positive for the virus.

The Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon, for example, has lost half its residents to COVID-19.

The Ontario Long Term Care Association has taken to Twitter in recent days issuing pleas to health-care students and others to step forward to help take care of the more than 70,000 residents in 626 nursing homes across the province.

View attachment 240857

View attachment 240858

I couldn't agree more!

Closing lanes to traffic would make us safer, not only from Covid but also idiot drivers who think empty streets are drag race tracks.

Coronavirus: 18 ticketed for breaking social distancing bylaw by playing cricket in Brampton

Posted April 14, 2020 12:25 pm EST

Eighteen people were ticketed in Brampton over the weekend in two separate incidents for violating the social distancing bylaw, in relation to the coronavirus pandemic, by playing cricket.

A spokesperson for the City of Brampton confirmed the 18 $880 tickets to Global News on Tuesday.

Family whose mother died at city-run nursing home in Toronto begged for physical distancing measures weeks before outbreak

When Greg McVeigh and his brother, Rod, couldn’t get through to Toronto’s Seven Oaks, the nursing home where their parents lived, they started reaching out blindly through e-mail and Instagram to anyone who might be able to help protect the couple from the coronavirus.

In phone calls and e-mails, including one to Toronto Mayor John Tory on March 20, the brothers begged the city-owned facility to test more residents and to isolate their mother before the outbreak reached her floor. But Seven Oaks, following the advice of provincial public health officials, initially did neither.

On April 7, their mother, Joan McVeigh, died of COVID-19, making her one of at least 22 residents who have died in one of the worst coronavirus outbreaks at a long-term care home in Canada.

Back