News   Aug 09, 2024
 816     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 673     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Coronavirus: 18 ticketed for breaking social distancing bylaw by playing cricket in Brampton

Posted April 14, 2020 12:25 pm EST

Eighteen people were ticketed in Brampton over the weekend in two separate incidents for violating the social distancing bylaw, in relation to the coronavirus pandemic, by playing cricket.

A spokesperson for the City of Brampton confirmed the 18 $880 tickets to Global News on Tuesday.

How dumb are people?

Family whose mother died at city-run nursing home in Toronto begged for physical distancing measures weeks before outbreak

When Greg McVeigh and his brother, Rod, couldn’t get through to Toronto’s Seven Oaks, the nursing home where their parents lived, they started reaching out blindly through e-mail and Instagram to anyone who might be able to help protect the couple from the coronavirus.

In phone calls and e-mails, including one to Toronto Mayor John Tory on March 20, the brothers begged the city-owned facility to test more residents and to isolate their mother before the outbreak reached her floor. But Seven Oaks, following the advice of provincial public health officials, initially did neither.

On April 7, their mother, Joan McVeigh, died of COVID-19, making her one of at least 22 residents who have died in one of the worst coronavirus outbreaks at a long-term care home in Canada.

This illustrates perfectly why I'm both disappointed in and angry with the Mayor and Toronto's CMO. Their actions and inactions have contributed to the loss of life. Both should be relieved of their employment.

Sadly, the former is likely safe til the next election; but the latter should be sent packing to find a job where she can harm fewer people.

I can't imagine the PTSD and anxiety that frontline workers will carry when all this is said and done. ? We will need a task force of mental health professionals.

'I've never been so stressed': Health-care workers in COVID-19 battle face PTSD, mental health issues

Mental health is going to be a big factor moving forward. The PTSD you mention but also people dealing with changed life circumstances, depression and more.

Mental health is going to be a big factor moving forward. The PTSD you mention but also people dealing with changed life circumstances, depression and more.

The feds should mandate two weeks all expenses paid vacation on their dime as part of an economic stimulus and mental health recovery package.

It would be useful. Just have the Federal Government pay for 30~ million vacations.

It would allow affected Canadians to have a vacation for the benefit of their mental health and it would help stimulate the economy via air travel and potential domestic tourism.

I haven't been out much in the past week, but I went in to work downtown at the office today. I was a little surprised riding the 504 along King East and seeing a lot of the businesses have boarded up their storefronts. I'm not talking about the fact they are just closed, or have papered over the windows. They have literally boarded up the windows and doors on the outside with plywood, like its Florida and there's a hurricane coming. Are they really that worried about smash and grab thefts or something? This was not only one or two, but a dozen. Then I went over to Shoppers after work on Queen Street and there were more storefronts just like that there.

I haven't been out much in the past week, but I went in to work downtown today. I was a little surprised rising the 504 along King East and seeing a lot of the businesses have boarded up their storefronts. I'm not talking about the fact they are just closed, or have papered ovetr the windows, they have literally boarded up the windows and doors on the outside with plywood, like its Florida and there's a hurricane coming. Are they really that worried about smash and grab thefts or something?

The problem is that these stores are abandoned long term during the pandemic. The owners of the stores may be locked away or otherwise unable to attend for extended periods. Who knows what could potentially happen.

It's not just smash and grab but graffiti among other things.

Another thing from today I learned: the Longo's in First Canadian Place is still open until 5:00 p.m. each day. I went at 4:00 and it was a dead zone, aside from the staff working there. No line to get in, no line at the checkout.
The store is fully stocked - save the salad bar which is closed off, but they have packaged food and sladas and deli meat still, and also anything else you might need like butter, cheese, pasta, ground meat, frozen food, fresh vegetables, bread, and the hot bar with whole rotisserie chickens. It's all there.
Of course, it's Longo's, so everything is 50% more than you pay everywhere else, but, if you only need two or three things and don't mind paying an extra two or three dollars, you won't have to wait in any lines at all.

I haven't been out much in the past week, but I went in to work downtown at the office today. I was a little surprised riding the 504 along King East and seeing a lot of the businesses have boarded up their storefronts. I'm not talking about the fact they are just closed, or have papered over the windows. They have literally boarded up the windows and doors on the outside with plywood, like its Florida and there's a hurricane coming. Are they really that worried about smash and grab thefts or something? This was not only one or two, but a dozen. Then I went over to Shoppers after work on Queen Street and there were more storefronts just like that there.

Smash and grabs have been reported all over the place. These stores/restaurants are easy targets. Not many poeple out and about these days.

Smash and grabs have been reported all over the place. These stores/restaurants are easy targets. Not many poeple out and about these days.

In other cases stores are left unlocked...

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-loblaws-mistakenly-left-open-on-easter-sunday-1.4895458

Not strictly Covid................But I had a mental health moment, in a good way today, thought I'd share here.

I was out in a Toronto ravine, alone, not on a bike path but in the woods...................

And I encountered...............a family.

Of deer.

They, were eating some early spring greens...........they saw me............and didn't bolt.............

In fact, one came over towards me, within about 6 feet.........and then kept eating......

I stayed with them for about 20 minutes......then went back to my hike.

It was a wonderful respite from what's going on................

I'm sorry to think but we should probably drastically lower immigration levels for the next few years.

The demand for jobs won't be there.

I'm sorry to think but we should probably drastically lower immigration levels for the next few years.

The demand for jobs won't be there.
Immigration is not about filling low wage jobs at Timmies, etc. The reason we need low skilled immigrants is to grab their children. Those kids are Canada’s future scientists, engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs and professionals.

Immigration is not about filling low wage jobs at Timmies, etc. The reason we need low skilled immigrants is to grab their children. Those kids are Canada’s future scientists, engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs and professionals.
I mean, you're also missing the fact that we directly import many scientists, engineers, doctors, entrepreneurs and professionals of this generation through immigration. I think you may be confusing TFWs with actual immigrants - we're not an easy country to immigrate to, and to do so often requires a high degree of relevant skills to contribute to our economy.

I mean, you're also missing the fact that we directly import many scientists, engineers, doctors,
That’s the big scam we play, since most of those immigrants won’t have their credentials, experience or skills recognized in Canada. Certainly there are exceptions, when we emigrated from the UK in 1976 my business professional dad had a simple company transfer to the Canadian office and we settled right in. But many of those foreign scientists, engineers and doctors you mention drive our taxis, tend our seniors in long term care homes, wash our dishes and serve our coffee. But they’re still highly intelligent and work very hard, which is why we want their kids as future Canadians. But this immigration scammery does bother me, as those countries need their doctors, engineers, etc. We’re basically using false promises to strip the third world of its top talent solely to get their cheap labour and progeny.

But bringing us back on topic.... hopefully Covid19 will result in fast tracking of Canadian approvals and credential acceptances for desperately needed foreign trained nurses, doctors, epidemiologists, etc.

Last edited:

Back