News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 873     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 353     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Covid doesn't stop the porch pirates. My neighbor ordered some gluten free pasta's and gourmet sauces online, when she came home from work today, the box was ripped open and everything was stolen.
I once left a $100 bill taped to my front door and was shocked when somebody stole it..
Such an utterly unforseeable consequence.

170 deaths today in canada

Based on what I see ...covid 19 is just wiping out long term homes.

You do have a flair for the dramatic.

This is, of course, a serious matter, and a tragic and at least partially, preventable loss of life.

But for the record, the vast majority of LTC homes have had 1-2 deaths.

But yes, there have been several with much larger, more tragic outbreaks.

We don't know if every death during the Covid outbreak in Bobcaygeon was actually a Covid death,.

But we do know at least 29 residents died in a 65-bed facility.

But most facilities are seeing far smaller numbers of deaths, and have larger populations, fortunately.

The clear causal links here are to multi-person rooms (Bobcaygeon was 4 to a room for a large number of residents), also the issue of spread between facilities due to workers working at more than 1 site, and inadequate testing/isolation.

The latter is no longer permissable by provincial order or will be at the end of today's provincial cabinet meeting. (a bit late......)

Not much to be done about bad design in the present, except freezing intake of new residents during outbreaks.

In all of Ontario we have 334 Covid-related deaths (there are likely more, not recorded as Covid in the LTC setting)

There are approximately 77,000 beds in Long-Term Care homes in Ontario in more than 600 facilities.

I will add here, that it is hoped we will reach peak-cases this week; which means peak deaths are likely in the week to 10 days thereafter.

50% of deaths have been in the LTC setting, that number appears stable; but the absolute totals are likely to rise some in the days ahead, sadly.

Last edited:
Well I know in a lot of alternative circles or right-wing circles people are blaming the who for the pandemic.

Like after this is over a lot of people are going to look for scapegoats for this virus and that seems to be trump's goal to blame china and the who.

Well I know in a lot of alternative circles or right-wing circles people are blaming the who for the pandemic.

Like after this is over a lot of people are going to look for scapegoats for this virus and that seems to be trump's goal to blame china and the who.

I am nowhere near right wing but I do feel the WHO dropped the ball on this. The moment they had an inkling of trouble in China they should have declared it a pandemic and an emergency of international concern. They should have slapped travel bans on countries like they did with SARS but they did not.

That said, with all the issues in China the WHO needs to be more forceful. To hell with upsetting China, I don't care if they are butt hurt as long a global catastrophe is prevented.

That said, with all the issues in China the WHO needs to be more forceful. To hell with upsetting China, I don't care if they are butt hurt as long a global catastrophe is prevented.
If China doesn't close down its wet markets and progress to a normal, first world food chain we'll be here again in ten years or less. That's what the WHO needs to push, not managing or predicting pandemics, but preventing them at the source, and that source for the last two has been China.

If China doesn't close down its wet markets and progress to a normal, first world food chain we'll be here again in ten years or less. That's what the WHO needs to push, not managing or predicting pandemics, but preventing them at the source, and that source for the last two has been China.

The problem is that such markets are embedded in Asian culture. It would be like asking to take the pubs out of the UK to prevent alcoholism.

The problem is that such markets are embedded in Asian culture. It would be like asking to take the pubs out of the UK to prevent alcoholism.
then we need to drop the political correctness and bs and try to actually solve the problem here.

If disease kept coming from Finland due to a certain cultural practise there, would we be like "hey Finland, what the hell man" or be more worried about "oh don't say anything or else it may be racist" .

According to their website, the WHO's mandate is:

Our primary role is to direct and coordinate international health within the United Nations system.
Our main areas of work are health systems; health through the life-course; noncommunicable and communicable diseases; preparedness, surveillance and response; and corporate services.

They probably should have been more aggressive in their surveillance, or at least viewed the Chinese data with a more jaundiced eye, but whether they would have been able to investigate or audit the events occurring in their closed society may be questionable.

As for Trump, who hasn't he blamed (China, Obama, Democrats in general, the media, governors, . . . )

You do have a flair for the dramatic.

This is, of course, a serious matter, and a tragic and at least partially, preventable loss of life.

But for the record, the vast majority of LTC homes have had 1-2 deaths.

But yes, there have been several with much larger, more tragic outbreaks.

We don't know if every death during the Covid outbreak in Bobcaygeon was actually a Covid death,.

But we do know at least 29 residents died in a 65-bed facility.

But most facilities are seeing far smaller numbers of deaths, and have larger populations, fortunately.

The clear causal links here are to multi-person rooms (Bobcaygeon was 4 to a room for a large number of residents), also the issue of spread between facilities due to workers working at more than 1 site, and inadequate testing/isolation.

The latter is no longer permissable by provincial order or will be at the end of today's provincial cabinet meeting. (a bit late......)

Not much to be done about bad design in the present, except freezing intake of new residents during outbreaks.

In all of Ontario we have 334 Covid-related deaths (there are likely more, not recorded as Covid in the LTC setting)

There are approximately 77,000 beds in Long-Term Care homes in Ontario in more than 600 facilities.

I will add here, that it is hoped we will reach peak-cases this week; which means peak deaths are likely in the week to 10 days thereafter.

50% of deaths have been in the LTC setting, that number appears stable; but the absolute totals are likely to rise some in the days ahead, sadly.

My 98 year old father-in-law is in the Sunnybrook Veterans Centre, which has approximately 400 residents. So far they have had 2 cases; one recovered and one who died of other causes but was Convid-positive. All residents have been tested. From what I have seen they are three to a room but they are not full. Here's praying they maintain that record - the wife is quite stressed. They are excellent at family communication.

Back