News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

At this point, there is significant community transmission so I'm skeptical that getting tough on the few returning travellers that still remain is anything more than an exercise in optics

Some interesting data out on Panic buying in Canada, via Twitter (original data set Stats Can.)

1586879985105.png

Good!
As usual, a good idea that should have been implemented way sooner.

Honestly, forget about their quarantine plan - everyone gets shipped to a hotel of sorts for two weeks. And yes, it should've been done a lot sooner.

I just hope that the federal/provincial relief funds gets in the hands of the people sooner rather than later. My wife and I are OK as we can both WFH, but my brother and his family have been income-less for awhile now. And I can only imagine all the other folks that are either unemployed, or have rent to pay (either home or commercial) with no income.

I've heard from friends and have also seen on social media, the police are out in full force pulling people over, especially at night.
My mate took his motorcycle out for a solo leisure ride yesterday from Toronto around Stouffville and was pulled over by York Regional Police and asked what he was doing. Was given a warning and told to go straight home. I rode my motorcycle today to the local mechanic for the seasonal tuneup, and then it's going straight back into the garage until we're allowed out.
As usual, a good idea that should have been implemented way sooner.
Indeed, like all those R/Vs returning through NY that stopped at Walmart, etc. It's no wonder there is a Covid19 spike in those small border towns east of Toronto.
Number of hospitalizations in canada seems under expectations. However deaths seem higher then expected.
I think the deaths are clearing out those who've been ill for some weeks. If hospitalizations are down, we should see fewer deaths once the current batch of terminally ill expire.

Last edited:
Is there an order to not leave your home in place?

Under provincial law, No.

The link below is to all emergency orders issued by the province. I can find no record of anything resembling a stay-at-home order, nor any explicit travel restrictions, except by closure of certain facilities.

I can't find anything on the York Region website either.

There is a provincial order against public gatherings of more than 5 persons with certain exceptions.

Is there an order to not leave your home in place?

There is not, as indicated by others, and I would argue the province does not have that level of authority. In making emergency orders under Section 7.0.2 (4) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, Cabinet can make an order:

2. Regulating or prohibiting travel or movement to, from or within any specified area.

I'm not sure the entire province qualifies as a "specified area", but could be wrong.

I'm a tad concerned with law enforcement attempting enforce laws that don't exist, if that's what is happening. It's new territory for everybody, including the cops, but their briefings should be fairly clear. There are any number of very valid reasons why somebody might be travelling, including on a motorcycle. While their intention may be honourable and consistent with government and health messaging, it is no more legally right than ordering you to wear sunscreen.

Covid doesn't stop the porch pirates. My neighbor ordered some gluten free pasta's and gourmet sauces online, when she came home from work today, the box was ripped open and everything was stolen.

I don't think this will end up being reasonably comparable to the Great Depression. That was before modern 'welfare' programs in most states, likewise broadly available old-age pensions.

That's not to say this won't hurt; it already does. But I don't think the as-lived experience is likely to compare with the 1930s. I certainly would hope not.

“To avoid such outcomes, on-and-off social distancing measures might be needed until 2022, unless hospital capacity is increased, or effective vaccines or treatments are developed."

This is entirely more likely.

Though I don't think it will apply everywhere.

But that is to be determined, of course.

Back