News   Aug 09, 2024
 867     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 698     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

That's true but people need more entertainment than Netlix can provide. For that reason alone I can see the CNE proceeding as planned.

I don't think the CNE or TIFF or any other big event will happen this year..... 2020 will be the year of social distancing. I look forward to hanging out with people in 2021 and attending Pride, the Jazz Festival.

That's true but people need more entertainment than Netlix can provide. For that reason alone I can see the CNE proceeding as planned.

There's probably going to be some kind of marquee "we're back to normal" event and I bet MLSE (Leafs/Raptors) or Rogers (Blue Jays) wants to be the one to host it and the City will probably agree to work with them and make that happen.

There's probably going to be some kind of marquee "we're back to normal" event and I bet MLSE (Leafs/Raptors) or Rogers (Blue Jays) wants to be the one to host it and the City will probably agree to work with them and make that happen.

ABinBev rocks for Toronto?

Maybe giving a date where some constraints will begin relaxing will help people see this through to the end without breaking social isolation. Easier to make decisions with a known timeline rather than an unknown one.

The timeline should be based on clear targets, such as an R-Factor under 1; deaths in single digits, (both of which we should hit this week, hopefully); then you talk about lifting restrictions in stages, subject to the numbers holding.

People don't NEED entertainment, they want it. It really hasn't been that long yet. I've got friends in Italy -- what we are experiencing is nothing compared to how they have been living. Perspective is important.

And as far as entertainment, there's more than Netflix. Take up a hobby, turn off the tv. I haven't watched Netflix once since this all started, because for me, it's a relaxation and I don't find any of this situation terribly relaxing.

And from what I'm seeing on my social media feeds, the latest entertainment seems to be which grocery store has the shortest line up ?

People don't NEED entertainment, they want it. It really hasn't been that long yet. I've got friends in Italy -- what we are experiencing is nothing compared to how they have been living. Perspective is important.

And as far as entertainment, there's more than Netflix. Take up a hobby, turn off the tv. I haven't watched Netflix once since this all started, because for me, it's a relaxation and I don't find any of this situation terribly relaxing.

And from what I'm seeing on my social media feeds, the latest entertainment seems to be which grocery store has the shortest line up ?

I am already at this point...

The number of COVID-19 cases jumped to 2 million:

It was on Wikipedia:

Turns out that Johns Hopkins made a typo by adding an extra 100,000 cases to Okaloosa, FL:

It was quickly corrected on Wikipedia:

The number of confirmed cases didn't actually exceed 2 million as of this post.

COVID-19 Dashboard Typo (annotated).png

It is always a good idea to look at at least three different reputable sources for COVID-19 cases: Johns Hopkins (even with the error, they are still very reputable, given that they do admit their mistakes and correct them as soon as they could), BNO News, and Worldometers.

Last edited:

Old timey TV can be good. A few days ago TVO had this show called Tripping the Rideau Canal (they played it yesterday too and likely again very soon). Can watch it online but sometimes TV trumps computer imo. Just 4hrs of a boat going along the canal with beautiful fall foliage. A bit gurgly with the sound of the motor, but nice. Don't even need cable, internet, or a subscription to receive it. A cheap antenna will do.

I am already at this point...

Such a great scene. We had a good laugh at this reference a couple days ago.

Old timey TV can be good. A few days ago TVO had this show called Tripping the Rideau Canal (they played it yesterday too and likely again very soon). Can watch it online but sometimes TV trumps computer imo. Just 4hrs of a boat going along the canal with beautiful fall foliage. A bit gurgly with the sound of the motor, but nice. Don't even need cable, internet, or a subscription to receive it.

Here is some old timey TV for you... and it is 10 hours. Should keep a person entertained in quarantine.

I agree. It is hard to follow these rules when there doesn't seem like there is a guide to follow or an end in sight. I think people would be more willing to follow the rules if there was a clear plan. But the ole "Yea, we're going to extend another month" is tough to take for many. Especially if you're laid off or on fulough or a business owner on the brink, etc. If companies know that for sure they will be back to work in 1 month, they can plan things. If they don't and the time keeps getting extended, they're just going to lay off people.

At leas this should be a good learning experience for our leaders. I hope we don't ever have to go through this again.

I've heard from friends and have also seen on social media, the police are out in full force pulling people over, especially at night. People are being given employment letters right now for this reason. Anyone still working, should have one provided by their employer.

My friend has a card stating that he is an essential worker and works in food manufacturing. He's been pulled over twice by the cops during this shutdown.

I've heard from friends and have also seen on social media, the police are out in full force pulling people over, especially at night. People are being given employment letters right now for this reason. Anyone still working, should have one provided by their employer.

My friend has a card stating that he is an essential worker and works in food manufacturing. He's been pulled over twice by the cops during this shutdown.

That happened to my coworker last Thursday. He almost got hauled off by Toronto Police unless he had his letter.

It they want people off the streets overnight they need to put a curfew in place.

The issue is people who don't have to worry about money who don't have to work outside the house are having Wine and posting IG stories all day and its just an extended stay at home vacation.

However, for a lot of people, they still have to go out and work or frankly having their lives put on hold and turn upside down... it is causing a lot of stress.

My point is some people can easily just chill at home for months while for others it is going to a huge problem.

I am not suggesting, forget about social distancing then...Saying shutting down fully for months is going to cause a lot of problems in the long term that we have not even thought about yet.

The issue is people who don't have to worry about money who don't have to work outside the house are having Wine and posting IG stories all day and its just an extended stay at home vacation.

However, for a lot of people, they still have to go out and work or frankly having their lives put on hold and turn upside down... it is causing a lot of stress.

My point is some people can easily just chill at home for months while for others it is going to a huge problem.

I am not suggesting, forget about social distancing then...Saying shutting down fully for months is going to cause a lot of problems in the long term that we have not even thought about yet.

Yup. I’d say this is probably the most stressful time of my life. I’ve never had to stress about so many different things at the same time. I think any longer and people will be in some serious mental trouble if not already. I hope they think about this when extending lockouts indefinitely. People aren’t going to stay locked up in their condo shoe box for months with no plan or resolution in sight.

Back