News   Jul 31, 2024
 45     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 281     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I think Smitherman's lead will begin to look clear this week. Another poll is coming out tomorrow. If 2 polls show Smitherman in the lead, then we might have a new leader.

This couldn't have come at a better time for Smitherman. He's no longer the incumbent leader. He's the come from behind challenger and people like to root for the under dog. He also has the bandwagon effect going in his favour. People like to back a winner and Ford is beginning to look like a loser. This is all happening when most people who will vote are actually paying attention. I can see Smitherman siphoning some of Pants' numbers by next week.

You're right. Most Pantalone supporters I have spoken with are soft supporters, and would throw their support behind Smitherman if they thought their vote could stop Rob Ford. A poll showing Smitherman statistically tied with Ford, with Pantalone way back, is exactly what we needed.

This is the first truly encouraging poll we've had in ages. Ford peaked early, and while his support is solid at 30%, he has been stagnant at that level for a long time, and out of all the candidates, he has the least amount of growth potential. I think people are just sick of his whining, one-note, unintelligent message, and he's been getting hammered in the press and debates for the last month. Although he has run a surprisingly tight, disciplined campaign, he remains his own worst enemy. Smitherman's positive, broader, centrist approach is appealing to more and more people, and his momentum only seems to be increasing. More and more high profile people seem to be backing him, he's been saying the right things, and his growth potential is far higher than anyone else's, especially Ford's.

And stick a fork in Pantalone - he's officially done. Now that he remains a distant third (the Miller endorsement had virtually no effect, as we predicted), I think more and more of his supporters will jump to Smitherman, if for no other reason than to fight the good fight and make sure Ford doesn't win.

As for the large amount of undecideds - I think it's safe to assume that they're far more likely to break for Smitherman than Ford because Ford appeals to a certain passionate demographic with semi-extremist views and most people with those leanings made their mind up to support him months ago.

This news has made my day. I am now optimistic (though cautiously) that Toronto will avoid a Ford disaster. Not that I'm some Smitherman fanboy, to be clear (I would have liked John Tory to become mayor) - he is deeply flawed, but given the alternative, I'll gladly vote for him with a smile on my face - no nose holding required whatsoever.

Last edited:
Why should Pants leave the race? Rossi was carrying the flag for nobody except for some federal Libs who don't like the provincial Libs. Smitherman is much, much closer to Ford on policy issues than he is to Joe.

It's unfortunate that Rossi is dropping out this far into the race. He's provided some of the best discussion in this election. He ran a very long campaign, from the first possible day in January. With 12 days to go, he could have just coasted to election day. I kind of feel sorry for the guy.

Smitherman won't benefit much from Rossi dropping out, unless he outright endorses him. The only good I can see coming out of this is that the debates will be more of a one-one-one with Ford VS Smitherman. That's an arena in which Ford will continue to lose.

So does this mean he'll be taking down his election signs? North York is littered with them. You'd think he was doing much better.

^That clears the way for the Sun to endorse Rob Ford.

Btw, Rob Ford has some hot daughters or relatives, not certain exactly, but on his facebook page take a peek! If you're into hot blondes that is...:D (I'm thinking Sunshine girl material.)

It's always the same couple of blonde girls. Rumour has it they're paid.

Is the first number 'decided' and the second 'likely'? Are Ford supporters just not going to get around to voting?

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that Ford "support" is nonvoting "all elections and politics suck, man" sloth, who verbalize on behalf of Ford just to punk the system...

Back