News   Jul 31, 2024
 149     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

How is a property tax freeze (more extreme than Ford's), going on a phoney "war on waste", trashing Miller's legacy and tearing it up etc. an example of "city building"?

A ONE-YEAR tax-freeze isn't an extreme prescription, especially if accompanied by a 100-day review of the city's finances.

People like to obsess over Smitherman as one of the health ministers who had some responsibility for E-Health, but he also eliminated $600 million in annual waste. It's one of the reasons why he has Tory support.

*edit for clarity. Tories and the Tory boys support him ;)

Last edited:
My inner cynic still wonders if somehow Smitherman has manufactured Ford's persona, thus pushing out Rocco and anyone else, thus ensuring a landslide Smitherman win.

I don't think Hollywood could have scripted this. It's amazing that Toronto municipal politics are actually really exciting. I've been on the edge of my seat for months.

I have my doubts of his future in provincial politics. There seems to be some sort of hostility on the part of federal Libs (Kinsella etc.) towards Smitherman and the provincial Libs.

I think the Prov Libs have been viewed by the LPC as getting a little "too close for comfort" with Harper's CPC.

I wonder why no-one else sees this? I've always viewed McGuinty as quite right-ist.

I don't think Tory would have advocated that idiotic property tax freeze that Smitherman is proposing.
As far as I know, Smitherman is only proposing a 1-year tax freeze. Surely the surplus they are entering with this year should cover much of that. Year 2 might be a shocker though!

What really bugs me about Smitherman's campaign is his slogan "For A Better Toronto, Again." In other words, Smitherman is implying that the Miller years were a total failure and the city needs to be "saved."

I think the Prov Libs have been viewed by the LPC as getting a little "too close for comfort" with Harper's CPC.

I wonder why no-one else sees this? I've always viewed McGuinty as quite right-ist.

Not so sure if it's really a left/right debate. There's some sort of infighting between Liberal Party activists federally and provincially. Seems more about personality than politics.

While I am extremely relieved by this latest poll it won't be over until the fat dude loses. It's definitely not in the bag yet, so no-one should get complacent--every vote still matters.

On a side note, I am very disappointed with both Pantalone and Rossi for their anti-Smitherman tone. They should both be more up front about what a disaster a Ford victory would be. Only Sarah Thompson has come out of this looking like a responsible grown-up.

Here's what you'll see on Oct 25th

Ward19P.jpg

...well , if you're in Ward19. Edit the URL to reflect your ward.

Back