News   Mar 28, 2024
 971     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 841     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

I agree it looks small. We shall see once it opens up. Since you've been at EMTC recently, do they have the H&R Block section set up in the middle of the mall yet like they do every tax season?

It's actually setup where the Grand & Toy was.. They did a quick strip-down of the store, and setup the cubicles in there.

It's actually setup where the Grand & Toy was.. They did a quick strip-down of the store, and setup the cubicles in there.

Oh so now EMTC has lost another retailer. Though to be fair I can't think of any other G&T in Mississauga at all. I guess EMTC was their last one.

Oh so now EMTC has lost another retailer. Though to be fair I can't think of any other G&T in Mississauga at all. I guess EMTC was their last one.

Oh yes, they were have a closing sale since before Christmas as I recall.

It will be interesting to see what they put in there as it's a unique location in that it has an exterior entrance as well as the main one.

Oh yes, they were have a closing sale since before Christmas as I recall.

It will be interesting to see what they put in there as it's a unique location in that it has an exterior entrance as well as the main one.

If they closed around Christmas then my guess is that it's been hard for them to find a tenant who needs a mall entrance and an exterior entrance.

The former Jacob spot is stil empty according to the leasing plan. And it took them a good half year or more to find Melanie Lyne to takeover Esprit's old spot. Oh and the La Senza Girl spot has been empty at least a year now too.

Last edited:
If they closed around Christmas then my guess is that it's been hard for them to find a tenant who needs a mall entrance and an exterior entrance.

The former Jacob spot is stil empty according to the leasing plan. And it took them a good half year or more to find Melanie Lyne to takeover Esprit's old spot. Oh and the La Senza Girl spot has been empty at least a year now too.

Well the G&T just closed in February.. they announced they were closing in December.

My guess is that the larger stores are harder to lease out.. But the change of ownership may have had an effect too. I don't think CadFair cared much for this mall during the last few years, so they couldn't care too much to find new retailers - unless the stores themselves were interested in coming here.

Just a guess again, but I'm thinking along with the economy looking up, that this year will see all these empty locations getting filled-up.

Well the G&T just closed in February.. they announced they were closing in December.

My guess is that the larger stores are harder to lease out.. But the change of ownership may have had an effect too. I don't think CadFair cared much for this mall during the last few years, so they couldn't care too much to find new retailers - unless the stores themselves were interested in coming here.

Just a guess again, but I'm thinking along with the economy looking up, that this year will see all these empty locations getting filled-up.

I agree they didn't really care about it. They did do some stuff, like open up Indigo/Starbucks, LCBO and CIBC outside the mall, which seems to be fashionable these days, but it's not exactly bringing traffic into the mall itself. What were they thinking putting the Starbucks outside the mall? They need a Starbucks IN the mall. But I digress.

Hopefully 20 VIC will be able to do something with the mall. It actually has a great location, very accessible to Western Mississauga, Oakville and fast-growing Milton.

EMTC will never prosper. It will be a B mall at best. If Zellers becomes a Target they have a hope, but as much as I dislike Square 1 it is getting better and better. Also, as said previously Heartland is such a powerful power centre the market's needs are met elsewhere.

20VIC will have a hard time keeping tenants I think, they should think about tearing some of it down for condos and boxes or something. I really don't think anyone will miss 200,000.

I guess what I am getting at is that EMTC will always be the weak sister to Square 1. I agree there is a trade area to support it, however, Square 1 continually brings unique brands (Crate, Whole Foods, movie theatres, Harry Rosen, Banana, Zara, Coach, etc, etc) that will bring it to another level then EM. I don't disagree that EM is a fine mall, however, it is never going to be as good as Square 1 in terms of tenant mix.

I guess what I am getting at is that EMTC will always be the weak sister to Square 1. I agree there is a trade area to support it, however, Square 1 continually brings unique brands (Crate, Whole Foods, movie theatres, Harry Rosen, Banana, Zara, Coach, etc, etc) that will bring it to another level then EM. I don't disagree that EM is a fine mall, however, it is never going to be as good as Square 1 in terms of tenant mix.

But does it need to be 'as good' as SQ1?

I think we sometimes forget that Square One is Ontario's second largest (and Canada's 4th largest) shopping mall. It needs to have these unique stores to make it draw visitors from far away distances.

The farthest someone visiting EMTC will be coming from, is Brampton or Oakville. And doing that, I think they can make do just fine. But as I've said before, and others have too, it needs a good refreshing to help with that.

Actually it was the parking garages..

It was very busy.. but it's true that I fell on bad luck as my Father took only about 5 minutes or so to find one outside the garages...

If you see the parking garages are busy, just head straight to the top, and you'll find a spot no problem. Maybe even right near the front too! As long as you don't drive like a granny, you'll find a spot in less than 3 minutes.

And that is still on the small side for Zara, isn't it?

Zara Yorkdale 21,220 sq ft
Zara Mapleview 15,126 sq ft
Zara Square One 14,055 sq ft
Zara Eaton Centre 13,308 sq ft
Zara Fairview 11,815 sq ft

Quoting myself and adding in Square One's number. It's right in the middle, bigger than Eaton Centre and Fairview, smaller than Yorkdale and Mapleview.

Back