News   Apr 26, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 568     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Sherway's leasing plan has been updated:

Victoria's Secret is where they cleared out those 4 or so stores in a row (13,000 sq ft)
Juicy Couture is next to Aritzia (3000 sq ft).

Would like to see American Girl open in Yorkdale. If you have young daughters that place is like spending the day at Disneyland...and about the same price too.

I doubt this will happen. American Girl dolls are built around backstories taken from periods in American history. They're quite inclusive (it's not just stories about white kids) but the stories are definitely US-specific. They do also offer generic dolls, but the historical story dolls are their bread and butter. Unless they have plans to expand these stories to include Canada or beyond, I can't see this concept working outside of the United States.

Zara is coming to Square One this November!

Louroz

Inside the mall? And if so where? Or will it be outside somewhere?

Was wondering what your source was, but I found it. It's http://www.facebook.com/SquareOne i.e. straight from the horse's mouth!

EDIT: Been looking at the Square One leasing plan trying to find room for a Zara. Seems difficult to fit in. Based on my research, Zara needs between 10,000 and 20,000 sq ft (source: Zara at Fairview Mall is 11,815 sq ft, Zara at Yorkdale is 21,220).

The only things of decent size that are closing and moving (respectively) upstairs (most of the fashionable retailers are on the Upper Level) are RW & Co. (4766 sq ft.) and Ricki's (3271 sq ft). Although they are not right beside each other, you'd probably have to push Talbot's (4208 sq ft) and Carl Baker Visage (642 sq ft), both of which could probably relocate within the mall relatively easily if they wanted to. That would give us 12,887 sq ft, maybe a bit more since it'd be taking over that hallway, assuming that part of the hallway doesn't need to be there.

Other alternatives I can think of are: 1) taking over some space from the (oversized) Gap, or 2) building above the lower level where Shoppers is, connecting the space between Zellers (probably Target in two years) and Sears.

Last edited:
i have a feeling zara will go where the gap is now since it seems like the gap stores are getting a lot smaller when they close and relocate in malls

Gap is renovating. Doubt that will be happening.

I'd say we're gonna see a larger store close soon, and then that is where they will put Zara. Of course, it may be placed outside, but I don't think that's happening.

Gap is renovating. Doubt that will be happening.

I'd say we're gonna see a larger store close soon, and then that is where they will put Zara. Of course, it may be placed outside, but I don't think that's happening.

http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leasing/LoImages/rfp/29810_RFP.pdf

The largest stores upstairs other than Zellers, Bay, Sears and Walmart are as follows:

Old Navy 25,941 sq ft (highly doubt it's moving, unless it were to take a pad location)
Gap 20,310 sq ft (not enough space for both a Zara and a Gap in my opinion, unless one of them took space below as well and the mall used the parking lot below as retail as originally planned)
H&M 16,719 sq ft (just renovated, not going anywhere)
Victoria's Secret 11,801 sq ft (units were just assembled, store was just opened; it's not going anywhere)
Harry Rosen 9,987 sq ft (too small for a Zara, don't see it moving either)
Banana Republic 8,548 sq ft (too small for Zara, don't see BR leaving the mall)
Fairweather 8,197 sq ft (again, too small).

I think the only real option is assembling units for Zara or building over the parking lot above Timmy's.

FWIW, someone inquired on Square One's Facebook page about Forever 21 and their response was:

Square One We love Forever 21 and hope to have them at Square One. It’s just a matter of finding the perfect space. Stay tuned . . .

Last edited:
I wish Forever21 had more info. on their hoarding about when they are opening than just "Coming Soon". I figure if they can't give us a month, then it probably isn't opening anytime soon. :(

What about the other retails outlets that will be built near Crate & Barrel? The original plan just said retail and restaurants.

For some reason, the quoted text didn't appear in my message. I was replying to the discussion on the previous page about a possible location for Zara at Square One.

For some reason, the quoted text didn't appear in my message. I was replying to the discussion on the previous page about a possible location for Zara at Square One.

Leasing plan shows three spots: 1 restaurant (8000 sq ft); 2 tenants (1500 and 3500 sq ft). My hastily done research indicated Zaras are 10,000-20,000 sq ft, so those spots are all too small. That and I don't see it taking 9 months to build retail in the parking lot, whereas I do see it taking 9 months for leases to expire and tenants within the mall to relocate to make space for Zara.

I'd love to see a

Molton Brown (from England but available in New York)
Next (from England)
Top Shop/Man (from England but not in New York)
UNIQLO (from Japan but available in New York)

Good news, there's now a Topshop/Topman in NY (SoHo). There's also a River Island in Vaughan Mills, but it didn't seem to carry as good a selection as those in the UK.

Yeah, sorry, I meant 'now' in New York. Lol. I've been to the one in New York and it was a bit pricier than I remembered in England — only to remind myself I was seeing those prices in pounds and not dollars! Lol.

What ever they bring here, it won't match the men's departments in Europe. That's why when they say they are opening new shoppes someplace, I don't get too excited. It's almost always for women.

Leasing plan shows three spots: 1 restaurant (8000 sq ft); 2 tenants (1500 and 3500 sq ft). My hastily done research indicated Zaras are 10,000-20,000 sq ft, so those spots are all too small. That and I don't see it taking 9 months to build retail in the parking lot, whereas I do see it taking 9 months for leases to expire and tenants within the mall to relocate to make space for Zara.

If you look on the Square One website the space for Zara is already shown. Just go to the site and search for Zara.

Back