News   Mar 28, 2024
 89     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Why would they do this? Other than to, as CC suggests, make room for a Marshalls (although, even then, wouldn't it be easier to simply open the Marshalls in Aura?). I'm not doubting the report, but just wonder what the rationale would be. A bigger store? More visibility? (although it's hardly as if Yonge & Gerrard has more exposure than Yonge and College) Better lease terms?

They said it was because they are running out of space in the yonge/bloor location. However I agree, don't think that would be enough room for a Mashalls.

It's quite possible. There are a couple of other locations that Vera Moda could go into.. but not too much empty retail space.. Just the 'Gags and Giggles' location and the Lasenza Girl that could fit well.

Guess we'll find out in June as that is when Guess is slated to reopen.

lol EMTC has tons of no-name retailers that could bite the dust if any real ones wanted to come in.

Heard a rumour that both Anne Klein and Donna Karan will be opening up in the new Yorkdale expansion. Does anyone else have any news on this?

I've noticed there's a fair bit of churn going on at FCP. Sole (the swimsuit place) is having a "lease expiry sale. There's a new place called Cassis going in where Josef used to be. Swarovski is opening on the lower level where the PATH heads north to the Richmond-Adelaide Centre. But Fairweather is still there and still having a "closing down" sale (although they seem to be getting new inventory in).

Last edited:
I've noticed there's a fair bit of churn going on at FCP. Sole (the swimsuit place) is having a "lease expiry sale. There's a new place called Cassis going in where Josef used to be. Swarovski is opening on the lower level where the PATH heads north to the Richmond-Adelaide Centre. But Fairweather is still there and still having a "closing down" sale (although they seem to be getting new inventory in).

Actually, the signage for Fairweather now says "closing down for renovation."

I swear, I don't believe any of their signs these days.

Brooks Brothers is opening up in Bayview Village.

I assume they'll have a maximum build out of four or five stores in the GTA - downtown, Bloor, Yorkdale, Bayview village and something out west. Bayview Village continues to attract high-end tenants over the Don Mills Centre... which would be their true competitive mall (not Fairview). I think this is interesting as Don Mills was positioned to be an affluent mall.

Brooks Brothers is opening up in Bayview Village.

I assume they'll have a maximum build out of four or five stores in the GTA - downtown, Bloor, Yorkdale, Bayview village and something out west. Bayview Village continues to attract high-end tenants over the Don Mills Centre... which would be their true competitive mall (not Fairview). I think this is interesting as Don Mills was positioned to be an affluent mall.

Are they taking over the old Calderone's? I noticed that it shuttered a couple of months ago.

Square One also released an update today.

Coming soon:

A/X Armani Exchange, Jack & Jones, Mobilicity, Whole Foods Market, Zara.

The mall is really continuing that upscale trend.

Hmm the only things there we didn't know about yet were Jack & Jones and Mobilicity.

Sherway was Canada's second store - Calgary was lucky enough to get the first one. I heard the plan was calling for 6 stores in the GTA, so Sherway, Fairview, Square One, Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, and STC.

Back