News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Sherway was Canada's second store - Calgary was lucky enough to get the first one. I heard the plan was calling for 6 stores in the GTA, so Sherway, Fairview, Square One, Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, and STC.

Is that list official, or just speculation? Cause I'm not so sure SQ1 will get one? (just a feeling, no inside info)

Its about time they brought one to Toronto. We have lego land at Ontario Place but thats about it and... its only open during the summer.

I can see Ottawa getting a Lego store because the PM looks like a Lego man
legoman.jpg

Is that list official, or just speculation? Cause I'm not so sure SQ1 will get one? (just a feeling, no inside info)

The Lego store is a fun place. I wished they were around when I was younger. Crossing fingers for a downtown store!

If it's coming from the U.S.A. then there is going to be duties.

Usually, if an online store lists the Canadian price, it means that duties have already been added. If you buy from Crate and Barrel's website, it actually STATES that duty charges have already been applied. Taxes and duties only include taxes - i.e. HST in Ontario's case. J.Crew is NOT doing this. A dress that costs $200, for example, at Yorkdale is $200 on their website if it "sees" that you're landing on the page from Canada (about 18-20% more than in the US, which is standard). Yet when you check out, they add duty on TOP of the already charged duty price. NO ONE ELSE THAT I KNOW OF DOES THIS. Other sites do one of the following:

1. List in US prices, then apply duty at check out (what J.Crew used to do and what practically everyone else does)
2. Use a (dated) conversion rate, then apply duty at check out (Banana Republic's US/International site)
3. List the actual Canadian price with duty added (Crate and Barrel)
4. A separate Canadian-run site listing Canadian prices and shipping from Canada. (need a Canadian warehouse to do this, so I don't see J.Crew doing it for another couple of years. Gap/Banana/Old Navy is doing this right now)

Like I said, the new prices, which match the Yorkdale store, is covering part of the shipping price rather than duty, like Crate and Barrel. Shipping to Canada, based on Banana Republic's prices, is about $25-30, depending on how much you're ordering.

The new Harry location claims that it is a "flagship." Does this mean that all Harry stores in major malls are going to be "flagships"?

Actually, the signage for Fairweather now says "closing down for renovation."

I swear, I don't believe any of their signs these days.

And now, six months after this post, it looks like the FCP Fairweather might actually be closing. Some of the fixtures have been broken down and there are large boxes about.

Back