News   Oct 02, 2024
 258     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 387     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 771     0 

New Automated Subway Station Announcements

What's wrong with something short and simple like "Dundas station is next, Dundas"? Or even "Dundas is next, Dundas" which is what lots of drivers currently say. The auto announcements always emphasize the word station. I'd rather be subjected to new country and strobe lights for an hour than listen to something as mindnumbingly annoying as "The next STATION is Dundas, Dundas STATION."

When you're bombarded by annoying automatic announcements for several hours a day, no, it's not too much complaining.

I once had the misfortune of living through this announcement...

Cumberland... Bellair... Yorkville... Bay. Our next staion is Bay, Bay Station.

I'm sure the tourists were delighted!

"Cumberland... Bellair... Yorkville... Bay. Our next staion is Bay, Bay Station."

:rollin

Its stuff like that which make the commute to school fun.

There was one day I transfered onto the Yonge line from Bloor, heading south... The announcement was "Next station, Rosedale" I got off the train thinking I had gone the wrong way, only to realize that It wasnt Rosedale, it was Wellesley.

Re: ...

When you're bombarded by annoying automatic announcements for several hours a day, no, it's not too much complaining.

Yes, but we are talking about subway announcements, not ALL possible announcements that a person could be exposed to throughout the day, week, month, year, decade and so on. Surprising as it may be, but many people beyond just you are exposed to automatic announcemnts. Alas, it is too bad that it it not all up to your exact specifications.

It is about time that there are automatic announcements on the subway. I, for one, am ****ing happy.

No one is complaining about automated anoouncements, as automated announcements are not the problem people are complaining about. The problem that people are complaining about is the length, redundancy, length, redunancy and repeativitive nature of the annoncements.

Again to make my point, the automated announcements are redundant and ****ing annoying, where the word "station" is empthaized more than the name, the only important thing.

I've been on 5 other subways with automated announcements, each is better than the Toronto one.

^ Exactly. Why must the announcements emphasize the word station twice and muffle the station name?

I agree. The TTC has a fetish with emphasizing the word station over the name of the station, which is quite bizarre.

Yes, station is a dreadful, tinny sort of word...gorn.

No one is complaining about automated anoouncements, as automated announcements are not the problem people are complaining about.

Well, my post was a response to a general statement about announcements, hence the quote that led it off.

Clearly, I should have repeated it for you - you know - the part about my response being a response to a general statement abount automated announcements.

The word "station" can't be that annoying, can it? That is the destination, is it not? The train is going to a station? A subway station?

No, my post was clearly about the new, annoying TTC automated announcements, not about announcements in general...I spend several hours a day on the TTC network, and it's probably only a matter of time before they appear on all buses. The way they emphasize the word station twice is redundant, unnecessary, and not necessary. They manage to hide the only important word - the name of the station.

What you said was:

There was nothing about particulars like being on the TTC. It sounded as if it were a general statement.

You find the announcements annoying. I like their clarity. For me, it beats the mumbling, the clipped wording or silence.

It's just a word being announced one more time than you want it to be announced. That's all.

"There was nothing about particulars like being on the TTC."

Of course I'm talking about the TTC - but I can see how you were misled, this being a thread about new TTC automated announcements and all. Must I be as as redundant as they they are?

There was a crying baby on the Sheppard subway a few days ago and as we left Bayview, all I heard was "The next station is *cry* station."

Simply put, the announcements are useless unless the station name is announced first, last, or, preferably, at both ends. The word station is announced with extra clarity, but so what? It's written as "Bessarion" on maps, not "Bessarion station."

The London Underground system's announcements are pretty straight forward and to the point.

"The next station is Embankment"

and they also add on "Change here for this, that, and the other line" where it applies.

And plus a ticker with the next station's name displayed is also a bonus too.

Back