305     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 555     0 

New Automated Subway Station Announcements

'The next station is Bank. Please mind the gap"

Yeah, those announcements are to the point. When they
say mind the gap, they really mean mind the gap! (The curved platform could cause someone to actually fall into the gap)

There was a crying baby on the Sheppard subway a few days ago and as we left Bayview, all I heard was "The next station is *cry* station."

Damn that baby! Had they dropped the word "station" would you have heard the name of the station?

Does this all really matter?

You seem to think it matters with defending the new annoying announcements because you keep replying here.

I'm in a bit of a rotten mood this morning. Hearing "station" 48 times on the subway didn't help.

You seem to think it matters with defending the new annoying announcements because you keep replying here.

They are annoying to you. I don't really care that much as I don't find these announcements annoying. As for replying, I am taking part in the conversation about these announcements, just as you are. This thread is about those announcements, hence the conversation.

What's wrong with you all making mountains out of mole hills? "Station" is annoying? Newsflash it's a station, being descriptive doesn't harm anyone. Conductors often neglect to annouce stops whereby anyone dozing off or blocked by standing passengers has no idea where they are. I simple: "Next is Lansdowne, Lansdowne Station" is all the system needs.

You need the introductory wording to cue people to the announcement. The first word probably isn't heard by a lot of people because they aren't listening for the announcement all the time. The words "The next station is.." cue the rider to listen for the name of the station.
And as with all things public, you need to cater to the lowest common denominator, so the word "station" would be required - besides, without the noun it wouldn't be proper english.

I really dont see anything annoying about these announcements. I can hear the name of the station fine, and yes it is a station. I take the TTC from Eg-west to Dundas every morning and havnt been bothered by the announcements. After taking the TTC for so long you tune them out anyways. The screetching sound of metal on metal is way more annoying than these announcements.

Re: ...

I always thought Chicago's overly helpful announcements would be incredibly irritating over time. "Exit at Dundas for Ryerson University, Eaton Centre and the Atrium on Bay. Doors open on the right at Dundas".

We should have a contest to come up with the best helpful announcement for a subway station! Y'know, "Exit at King to continue capitalism's obsession with financial prestige and waste. Doors open at the right at King".

You're disqualified if you fail to come up with a meaningful "Doors exit" rejoinder.

"Exit at Wellesley Station for liquor and homosexual acts. Doors open at the back at Wellesley Station".

Eglinton West on rainy days:

"Arriving at Eglinton West... Open Your umbrella as you exit the train"

Referring to the leaky roof.

This morning, the automated annoyance system said "the next station is Queen Queen Station" twice, followed by the arriving announcement. I also learned that many people are annoyed as hell.

Apparently, the TTC did not decide the overkill script, it was that lawyer that made the cases to the Ontario Human Rights Commisision, the overkill script is the one he wanted. He also wanted an additional message "Now leaving Queen, Queen Station", but that was nixed.

Y'know, "Exit at King to continue capitalism's obsession with financial prestige and waste. Doors open at the right at King".

Get off here for Archivistower's OCAP rally?

I prefer these automated messages over a bored TTC conductor's mumblings. Montreal's station announcements are pretty straightforward and in a pleasant female voice. I always imagine a petite young francophone secuctress wearing lacey undergarments- but that's just me.

Montreal's station announcements are pretty straightforward

"Prochane Station: Bonaventure" is the extent of the announcement. Very straight forward, in a very pleasant voice with a moderate volume

If the STM did it like Toronto, the announcements would be louder, saying "La prochaine station est Bonaventure, Station Bonaventure", "Arrivée à Bonaventure. Station Bonaventure"

Doesn't even compare between TTC and STM, though bored conductors can be pretty annoying, either garbling it (which doesn't bother me, I can tune that out) or saying it in an annoyed tone, which is worse than the overkill announcements.

Star

Link to article

In subway, a new voice takes over

TTC replaces `colourful' drivers with automated announcements
December 24, 2006
Andrew Chung
staff reporter

The Toronto Transit Commission is speaking with a new voice.

Subway riders on the Yonge-University-Spadina line might have recently noticed a uniform female voice announcing all stops, instead of the voice of the train's driver.

The new voice is automated, and almost all the line's subway cars have been retrofitted to be able to use the technology. The Sheppard line, where the automation was tested, has already been completed.

It will probably be 2008 before all 69 TTC subway stations are announced by the recorded voice.

"It's a voice that's consistent and understandable," says Rick Cornacchia, acting general manager of operations for the TTC. "I've ridden on a number of different subways in different cities, and the interesting thing is that the voice is always similar: clear, straightforward and business-like."

The TTC tried out a number of different voices, all of TTC employees, before settling on this one, "because it was the most pleasant," Cornacchia says.

The voice, indeed, is pleasant, but lacks emotion. There is very little lilt, or pitch.

Toronto now joins most other major cities in the world whose subway systems also include automated station stop announcements.

Cornacchia says it makes sense to be automated. "Sometimes the operator is busy talking to (transit) control, or sometimes there's a malfunction, or they'd say the station but it wouldn't be great from an audible perspective because maybe the driver wasn't holding the mic properly. It can be troublesome."

In fact, the TTC got into trouble last year after the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal said the TTC discriminated against visually impaired riders because drivers didn't regularly announce upcoming stops.

By that time, the automation was already in development.

How does it work? At all the stations, tiny metal transponders have been placed between the tracks.When a train rolls over the transponder, a "location tag" signal is sent to a receiver in the driver's car, which contains information on a database of station names. The announcement is then made over the public address system.

Automation doesn't stop at the subway. By 2008, all streetcar and bus routes will also have recorded voices announcing stops. The total cost of the project is about $5 million, Cornacchia estimates.

More clarity, fewer mistakes.

But what do we lose? The personality of the drivers.

"That's the price of automation," Cornacchia concedes. He says this has been the only lament he's heard from passengers so far.

Most TTC riders have experienced a colourful driver who went the extra mile to brighten their riders' day. Some drivers have done impersonations on the mic; others have given riders neighbourhood history lessons.

Passengers filled a page on the website of urban magazine Spacing with their personal favourites. "A streetcar driver who would announce the locations of every LCBO and Beer Store," one person wrote.

Another remembered a driver who called out each station imitating Ned Flanders from TV's The Simpsons: "Spadina is next. Spa-do-diddly-inaaaaaaaaaaa!"

One man recalled a woman driver whose announcements were getting "more sultry and seductive" with each stop. "I'll never look at Summerhill the same again."

There was also a suggestion that if the TTC ever decided to automate, it should use a mix of local residents and celebrities to name the stops. Get Mayor David Miller to announce Queen Station, where city hall sits, and Mike Myers for a station in Scarborough, where he's from.

The TTC didn't take this advice.

Whether riders like the TTC's new sound or not, it can be seen as progress. Cornacchia says until 10 years ago, there were no announcements at all.

How about the driver who would elongate the station names with a very low voice.

Yonge Street... Yoooooonge as his voice would get lower and lower...

or there is the driver who would make choo-choo train noises as the train would start up slowly increasing the tempo as the train got up to speed.

Back