News   Jul 03, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 848     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

New Automated Subway Station Announcements

I don't understand what's with the obsession over the automated announcements on the subway - sure, the rendition might not be the most pleasant thing one ever heard, but it sure beats the inaudible phantom announcements - or worse, the ones done by staff members without an iota of spirit and effort. I am quite thankful such a service is finally here, and those who needed it can benefit from it without fail.

AoD

My gawd. I just heard "Sum-mer-hill STATION" said for the first time. I had no idea there were 2 syllables in summer.

Ridiculous. I just started to think I could start living with the announcements (I cope by grabbing a seat at the far end of the trains, farthest as possible from the speakers), but all the station announcements north of St. Clair West are double the volume. Plus I heard "Sum-mer-hill STATION", so I'm back to square one with my hate-on.

^ Hill is pronounced as a separate word.

I don't have a problem with the station name being said twice...Bay station is next, Bay...would work perfectly. What good is saying it twice if it's smushed together in the middle of the announcement between two STATIONS? TTC maps and station walls don't use the word station - why should the announcements?

Here's the judicial order. Cdl is right, the TTC agent is wrong. There is only a need to make two announcements - when leaving the previous station and when about to arrive. The text given is a suggestion

It only makes departure and arrival announcements. For short-distanced apart stations (YUS loop from Dupont to St Clair) maybe only one announcement could be implemented. It's BD that needs annoucemnets now. I travelled the other day from Kennedy to Dundas West and not a single station was annouced. I dozed off and almost missed by stop. Something must be done, BD isn't second-class. I don't know why the automation along with the upcoming new trains are exclusively for YUS when BD has a higher ridership?!

Back