155     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 368     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 412     0 

Multiple Victims of Shooting in Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
National Post graphic on homocides in Toronto: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/24/graphic-where-are-torontos-murders-happening/

Although Toronto had the most murders of any city in Canada, its rate of 1.4 per 100,000 was below the national average of 1.62. Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa were also under the national average. Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton and Winnipeg were above the national average.

So yes neighborhood and makeup of said neighborhood has an effect. If the same shooting happened in a wealthier Forest Hill neighborhood do you think people would be wasting their time talking about race or criticizing police for simply "being there" or would they be doing their best to assist the police in apprehending the criminal?

Well if you want an approximation of that scenario, imagine if an ex-boyfriend of the Fords' sister went gun-crazy bonkers at a Ford Fest...

Well if you want an approximation of that scenario, imagine if an ex-boyfriend of the Fords' sister went gun-crazy bonkers at a Ford Fest...

I fail to see the connection you are making. Are you implying that the Fords would not co-operate with police in the investigation? That Rob Ford would lean towards vigilante and street justice?

Was the street party attended by and/or organized by a local semi prominent politician?

My point still stands, at a party of upwards of 200 attendees that police are having difficulty finding witnesses to the crime. Furthermore that some residents aren't exactly co-operative with the investigation.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/487707_10151934676710237_509288700_n.jpg
487707_10151934676710237_509288700_n.jpg

Except the fact that he's widely viewed as a psychopath and is up for the death penalty.
Also if a black guy did it and was in school for his phd they absolutely would not say he is a drug-addicted gang member.

I hope that's just a crazy quote by the nut or else it's a really stupid macro trying to create a narrative where there is none.

I hope that's just a crazy quote by the nut or else it's a really stupid macro trying to create a narrative where there is none.
It's the latter.

If any person from those described groups was found sitting in their car and was arrested peacefully, they would be alive and in custody. If they were doing their PHD, they would not be considered gangbangers. A muslim would probably be considered a terrorist initially - it would only be a question of whether it was random domestic terrorism (which it was), or part of an organized or jihadist type action. Most every-day western muslims are peaceful people and would never consider acting in this way - it's only the fundamentalists who organize to get their mythical 70 virgins.

Last edited:
That image is ridiculous. If he was white but hadn't been a good student doing a phd in neuroscience he'd have to live with all the redneck/white trash stereotypes. When the korean guy killed all those people in Virginia Tech there was no racial backlash either. The Eaton Centre shooter wasn't accused of being a gang member 'cause he was black... he was a gang member. So were the culprits of the Scarborough shooting to one extent or another. So was the white victim in Little Italy.

When such a high percentage of violent crimes in North America occur in black communities we know there is a serious problem. Many non-black communities also see high crime rates, so what we have to do is draw parallels, identify shared negative factors, and concentrate on tackling those. The combination of lack of resources, lack of education, and prevailing materialistic pop culture look like a recipe for disaster to me. Young people are encouraged to act like idiots because it's easier to sell them a product and a lifestyle by destroying objectivity and sensitivity through advertising campaigns. This goes for young people of all racial groups, too... a decrease in this trend is only noticeable when plotted against degree and quality of education obtained.

National Post graphic on homocides in Toronto: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/24/graphic-where-are-torontos-murders-happening/

Although Toronto had the most murders of any city in Canada, its rate of 1.4 per 100,000 was below the national average of 1.62. Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa were also under the national average. Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton and Winnipeg were above the national average.

I find the murder rate to be more of an equalizer than a definitive picture as to how safe a place is. For example, if in a small hamlet of 10 people a domestic dispute occurs and a husband kills his wife the murder rate is now 1:10. Likewise, a city may have a low murder rate, but if virtually all of them occur in a select neighbourhood, does that mean you are as safe in one part of town as another?

I find murder and crime rates good at statistically equalizing the picture, so that people don't conclude that Toronto is the most dangerous city in Canada. They can be used to compare crime statistics of places with similar population though. For example, Hamilton and Winnipeg have similar populations, yet Winnipeg had double the number of homicides in 2010.

Are the homicides in Winnipeg of a 'shooting-spree-in-a-crowd' nature though? The social and cultural issues in place may play out violently there more often but in different ways??

Toronto Sun: Mammoliti wants to be Toronto gang czar

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti says give him four years and the co-operation of the municipal, provincial and federal governments and he’ll reduce gang violence in Toronto.

If, in the unlikely event, council agreed to give him permission to pursue an anti-gang strategy and he could get the help of the federal and provincial governments, he could reduce violence in the city, Mammoliti said Wednesday.

“If that did not show results over a four year period than I would resign my seat,” Mammoliti said. “I’m so confident that by adopting a particular plan, a tough plan, that you’d see a substantial decrease in what we’re experiencing right now.”

Part of Mammoliti’s plan at the city level would see the city immediately cut off any social benefits for anyone caught co-operating with gang members or found with an illegal gun in their home.

“If they happen to be on welfare and it was found they knew (about criminal activity) they would immediately be cutoff from any government assistance,” he said.

If someone lived in Toronto Community Housing and had criminals living with them, Mammoliti said they would be kicked out of TCHC.

Money spent right now on “mentorship programs” aimed at older teens would be spent instead on kids between the ages of 3 and 5, he said.

“In other words, I’d basically say the 20-year-olds, we’re wasting a lot of money with, it is not going to work, it hasn’t worked,” he said.

Under his plan, Mammoliti said the province would need to make it easier for landlords to evict criminals and the feds to pass a resolution that would immediately deport any immigrant who was convicted of a gang-related crime.

“The other thing I would want changed federally is the definition of a terrorist because a gang member is a terrorist,” he said.

He also vowed to ask the federal government to bring back the death penalty

Toronto Star: More police to patrol GTA, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair says

I enjoy going to the Caribana Parade (as a spectator), but I'm worried it may turn into another G20 with a slew of unlawful arrests and violent anti-police protests. I hope that won't happen. I know the vast majority of Caribana participants and spectators are family-types who who want to have a good time, but with hot weather (and racial profiling) and tempers flaring, you never know.

“Our intent is not to overpolice our communities, our intent is to overprotect them,” said Blair.

Using “compulsory overtime,” the police force will add 456 more officers in the downtown core during the Caribbean Carnival festival and another 350 uniformed officers just for the Aug. 4 parade.

Last edited:
Mammoliti is constantly trying to stay up there with the Fords in the "Who can say the stupidest thing?" contest.

That will not fix it, Giorgio.. That will just make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back