News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 567     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

A bygone era: Eaton's and a time when the entire city celebrated a Royal Visit:

5522-crown-over-yonge-1020-1.jpg

Eaton's decorated for Royal Visit...

Charioteer: That pic of Eaton's decked out for the Royal Visit in ways shows how much has changed in Toronto from the days when it was a stronghold of United Empire Loyalists and had a well-known WASP reputation.

What is the percentage of Toronto residents today that are descendants from those long-time residents and have British Isles origin?
LI MIKE

I don't think it's decked out for a royal visit, but rather the Coronation in 1953. The licence plate on the black car matches the 1953 format.

50s era Ontario license plate observations...

Stumack: Going just a little further - the SHAPE of that license plate can date this pic at least to the early 50s era-Remember that North America in the mid 50s era thru the lead of the AAMVA(Motor Vehicle Administrators)
decided on a standard 6 inch by 12 inch license plate to be issued by all jurisdictions.
Ontario issued its first plate of the standard size in 1955.

As a license plate collector and hobbyist it is interesting to look at 50s plates and see when each state/province first issued the now-uniform standard size license plate. LI MIKE

Last edited:
I assume that's Yonge Street. There are still streetcar tracks which means pre-1954 when the subway opened. Mind you if it is 1953 where's the construction for the subway?

I assume that's Yonge Street. There are still streetcar tracks which means pre-1954 when the subway opened. Mind you if it is 1953 where's the construction for the subway?

That looks like it's the Queen Street entrance. Love the black light poles, wish all of them were like that.

Not sure that is Queen. Where's the building on the corner of Queen and Yonge that contains the sports store today? At the time it would have been a Woolworths.

It is Yonge Street - with Albert St in the background. Woolworths would have been south of there. Here's one during subway construction - in 1949 - sorry not in colour.

s0574_fl0004_id49168.jpg

and here's one that shows Eatons and Woolworths - from 193?
f1257_s1057_it0056.jpg

and one as I remember Eatons and Woolworths - all white - and in colour. Eatons liked flags (so did Simpsons)
f0124_fl0002_id0151.jpg

Holy cow, that building at Yonge & Queen was fully clad in white? How long? I rememebr seeing a picture of it in the 1980s and it's bare.

Holy cow, that building at Yonge & Queen was fully clad in white? How long? I rememebr seeing a picture of it in the 1980s and it's bare.

I'm presuming sometime in the 50s/60s that Woolies' got its perforated metal screen; in an inspired-for-the-time gesture of heritage recovery, it was de-screened in 1986...

Back