907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 568     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Another view of the "dark" Eaton's in a United Nations frenzy of flags:

f0124_fl0001_id0006-1.jpg

And the "white" Eaton's, 1970's:

Yonge1970s002-1.jpg

It is Yonge Street - with Albert St in the background. Woolworths would have been south of there. Here's one during subway construction - in 1949 - sorry not in colour.

s0574_fl0004_id49168.jpg

So if it is 1953 and it is Yonge Street what's the streetcar tracks doing there. Did they still have streetcars running here while they waited for the subway, which was already constructed at this location, to open?

So if it is 1953 and it is Yonge Street what's the streetcar tracks doing there. Did they still have streetcars running here while they waited for the subway, which was already constructed at this location, to open?

Yes - from the Sidewalk Superintendents Manual - Grade 1 - explaining the 'cut and cover' process.
After the central wall and the reinforced concrete roof of the subway are constructed, the open area above is filled with sand...Then a temporary pavement is laid, street car tracks are relaid and normal traffic is resumed. The street cars will remain in service on Yonge Street until the rapid transit line is completed to Eglinton Avenue, and until all stations and equipment are installed. The street car tracks will then be removed and Yonge Street repaved. It is anticipated that the contracts for the work described here will be completed in the Summer of 1950.
http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5116.shtml
http://www.toronto.ca/archives/canada_first_subway/index_subway.htm

N side Melinda on site of Commerce Court--and a great bonus glimpse of Mies' TD bank pavilion under construction.

I've been reading about the TD Centre Cinema, and one account describes a stairway from the street level off Bay, south of King. Some of these photos are tantalizingly close to showing that area, but not quote.

Anyone know where the Cinema was actually located within TD Centre? I figure the concourse portion has to be just south of the banking pavillion, roughly where the investor centre is now.

I've been reading about the TD Centre Cinema, and one account describes a stairway from the street level off Bay, south of King. Some of these photos are tantalizingly close to showing that area, but not quote.

Anyone know where the Cinema was actually located within TD Centre? I figure the concourse portion has to be just south of the banking pavillion, roughly where the investor centre is now.

The Bay Street stairway entrance was at the end of the east/west concourse - just south of the tunnel to Commerce Court.
This site says the cinema was located where the tunnel is now.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17593666/Toronto-movie-theatres

Wow! Its amazing how European looking everyone is. One is reminded how strong a presence the Poles, Hungarians, Ukranians were in this period. Nary an anglo yuppie in sight! Or a vegetable for that matter…boy, that’s a lot of meat!

Speaking of which, I love the way the meat is displayed:

casually displayed, every part of the animal being used,

Screenshot2009-12-15at95506AM.png

arrayed on tables as opposed to behind glass,

Screenshot2009-12-15at95605AM.png

customers inspecting the product themselves,

Screenshot2009-12-15at95049AM.png

uhm, knives lying around…

Screenshot2009-12-15at95152AM.png

In comparison, the market today is a much more antiseptic experience…

Also on display are a few other things you don't see anymore. good in both cases….

Screenshot2009-12-15at92245AM.png

Screenshot2009-12-15at92318AM.png

yikes!

Wow! Its amazing how European looking everyone is. One is reminded how strong a presence the Poles, Hungarians, Ukranians were in this period. Nary an anglo yuppie in sight! Or a vegetable for that matter…boy, that’s a lot of meat!

Speaking of which, I love the way the meat is displayed:

casually displayed, every part of the animal being used,

Screenshot2009-12-15at95506AM.png

arrayed on tables as opposed to behind glass,

Screenshot2009-12-15at95605AM.png

customers inspecting the product themselves,

Screenshot2009-12-15at95049AM.png

uhm, knives lying around…

Screenshot2009-12-15at95152AM.png

In comparison, the market today is a much more antiseptic experience…

Deepend, part of me agrees with you and finds the immediacy of the experience quite refreshing. Another part looks at the casualness and lack of public health controls and thinks that this is a salmonella explosion waiting to happen. (I also don't think I'll ever get used to seeing pigs' heads on meat hooks). Maybe I've become another anglo yuppie?

I recall Des McAnuff brandishing a bloodied, severed pig's head on stage as part of his musical act at Harbourfront in 1975 ... way before he became a famous stage director. And live birds in cages in Kensington Market, when I used to walk to OCA in the mornings from College and Ossington.

Yumm ... my girlfriend and I made headcheese just a few weekends ago. The problem is finding a stockpot big enough to hold a head!

Back