f0124_fl0012_id0028.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0032.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0029.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0027.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0022.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0044.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0034.jpg

f0124_fl0012_id0048.jpg

I spent 7 years of my younger life growing up on a farm and never got used to this! Man, those pics bring it all back to me. It definitely makes me want to be a vegetarian. It resembles either an "animal morgue" or a scene from the movie "Hostel" (the "Eastern Euro" types in the pics merely add credence to the movie slant)...putting sunglasses on a dead pig's head is such an utter disregard for the sentient animal who gave up its life for the fat asses shopping for it.....I wish that there had been a warning about these pics before I scrolled through them....but, thank you anyway.....you've made up my mind about the vegetarian thing....it's amazing the carnage our species is capable of ......in any respect. For all you city types who've never had the experience....and to let you know...I am Toronto born and bred until the age of 9 and came back here when I was 16.....until you've heard the panic and screaming of animals who know when their death is imminent......the God forsaken fear in their calls.....(n.b. pigs are even more intelligent and aware than dogs)......you would not find this photo thread in the least appealing....it's apalling.....it's sad beyond belief...

I actually considered writing a "Viewer's Discretion is Advised" at the top, but didn't want to appear frivolous. I do apologize, ceaz40, for not doing so now. As historical documents, these pictures are invaluable for illustrating another place and time, as well as a different attitude to the food we eat. I share your sentiment about them encouraging vegetarianism. For those that do eat meat, they are like a bucket of cold water thrown in the face compared to the artful displays at stores like Cumbrae's and Pusateri's.

I spent 7 years of my younger life growing up on a farm and never got used to this! Man, those pics bring it all back to me. It definitely makes me want to be a vegetarian. It resembles either an "animal morgue" or a scene from the movie "Hostel" (the "Eastern Euro" types in the pics merely add credence to the movie slant)...putting sunglasses on a dead pig's head is such an utter disregard for the sentient animal who gave up its life for the fat asses shopping for it.....I wish that there had been a warning about these pics before I scrolled through them....but, thank you anyway.....you've made up my mind about the vegetarian thing....it's amazing the carnage our species is capable of ......in any respect. For all you city types who've never had the experience....and to let you know...I am Toronto born and bred until the age of 9 and came back here when I was 16.....until you've heard the panic and screaming of animals who know when their death is imminent......the God forsaken fear in their calls.....(n.b. pigs are even more intelligent and aware than dogs)......you would not find this photo thread in the least appealing....it's apalling.....it's sad beyond belief...

It's in my genes to eat meat, I can't help it, but I remember still my grandmother and what she did to live chickens brought home from Kensy market.

i generally agree with the sentiments you are expressing here, except your judgemental and high-handed tone is somewhat annoying--since you start the post by saying: "it definitely makes me want to be a vegetarian". in other words: you eat meat. so, please.

you should repost this when you have "definitely" given up eating animals.

Last edited:
It's in my genes to eat meat, I can't help it, but I remember still my grandmother and what she did to live chickens brought home from Kensy market.

it was in my genes as well....went through a period of vegetarianism in my late teens, early twenties.....succeeded in becoming anemic....doctor ordered me back to eating meat to reverse it....I've never been comfortable with it since....however, I still think animals deserve our respect for what they have to go through and provide to us....that being said, I'm looking at alternatives after that photo spread....I have Euro friends who describe the screaming lamb in the basement at Easter.....as a young child, I was made to help behead ducks and geese by a miserable sob of a stepfather in a ramshackle barn at night.....human beings are truly the most miserable and undeserving species of any on the planet, imhp. Gotta love South Africa....all in the name of their f'in culture, they are going to sacrifice many, many animals as "good luck" for the World Cup.....wow, a "bread and circuses" event for humans.....slaughters other species.....forsake the damn World Cup and it's money making ways......what a waste of time anyway.....it's so good to read anything good once in a while about human beings when it happens.....I guess they are the anomalies in our species to what we really amount to is nothing but a mostly water based waste receptable of skin at the best of times.

i generally agree with the sentiments you are expressing here, except your judgemental and high-handed tone is somewhat annoying--since you start the post by saying: "it definitely makes me want to be a vegetarian". in other words: you eat meat. so, please.

you should repost this when you have "definitely" given up eating animals.

you're right...I'm not judgmental nor high handed...maybe you can forgive me for actually needing to see the light..."so, please" doesn't cover anything in dialogue, but your sentiment is well-taken....it doesn't mean I say you have to give up eating it.....I'm suggesting that animals need to be treated respectfully....i.e. no factory farming (not sure if you have any idea what that entails) or disrespecting animals or treating them inhumanely....p.s. how do you know this spread hasn't given me the impetus to do so immediately after seeing it? you don't....so who is being judgmental?

i always liked these high angle early shots of the market:

f1231_it0612.jpg

f1231_it0613.jpg

the long exposure on the first one created some interesting blurring…

Screenshot2009-12-15at75552PM.png
Screenshot2009-12-15at75228PM.png
Screenshot2009-12-15at75422PM.png

you're right...I'm not judgmental nor high handed...maybe you can forgive me for actually needing to see the light..."so, please" doesn't cover anything in dialogue, but your sentiment is well-taken....it doesn't mean I say you have to give up eating it.....I'm suggesting that animals need to be treated respectfully....i.e. no factory farming (not sure if you have any idea what that entails) or disrespecting animals or treating them inhumanely....p.s. how do you know this spread hasn't given me the impetus to do so immediately after seeing it? you don't....so who is being judgmental?

yes.

http://www.animalvisuals.org/data/slaughter/?y=2008

my point is: these are clearly small farmers, much closer in size (and quite possibly in spirit) to Cumbrae and Rowe, than the monstrous factory farm machine described in horrifying detail here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html

sunglasses aside, they are SO not the same thing.

yes.

http://www.animalvisuals.org/data/slaughter/?y=2008

my point is: these are clearly small farmers, much closer in size (and quite possibly in spirit) to Cumbrae and Rowe, than the monstrous factory farm machine described in horrifying detail here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html

sunglasses aside, they are SO not the same thing.

I agree with your comment about small farmers with respect to factory farming...and farming animals will always be a part of our culture....however, all one has to do is check the sales on MLS of small farms or read the articles on factory farming taking over to realize and understand that what we consume has a horrifying existence....I admit....as in a previous post about having had to correct an anemic situation, that I am as guilty as anyone else of furthering this situation....I was only registering my shock and my intention to change my ways (and probably, my health...I'm sure there are ways to be vegetarian now that improve you rather than hurt you if I look into it).....I was merely admitting my own disgust with myself for having not done a better job of it and realizing aloud that I am one of the many.....I'm just as appalled at myself as I am at humans in general for continuing something that is so damn barbaric....would we feel the same way if we find out in some weird way that we are merely "farmed" by some alien race for consumption...and not "humanely" so.....I wonder....I put this question out to everyone on here....why do we have such ineffective and dull "incisor" teeth....we really aren't very good at tearing meat with our teeth....we have many flat molar types that crush.....i.e. plants......are we really meant to be vegetarian anyway....cancer and heart disease and other ailments continue to rise....are we even supposed to be eating these animals anyway?

I agree with your comment about small farmers with respect to factory farming...and farming animals will always be a part of our culture....however, all one has to do is check the sales on MLS of small farms or read the articles on factory farming taking over to realize and understand that what we consume has a horrifying existence....I admit....as in a previous post about having had to correct an anemic situation, that I am as guilty as anyone else of furthering this situation....I was only registering my shock and my intention to change my ways (and probably, my health...I'm sure there are ways to be vegetarian now that improve you rather than hurt you if I look into it).....I was merely admitting my own disgust with myself for having not done a better job of it and realizing aloud that I am one of the many.....I'm just as appalled at myself as I am at humans in general for continuing something that is so damn barbaric....would we feel the same way if we find out in some weird way that we are merely "farmed" by some alien race for consumption...and not "humanely" so.....I wonder....I put this question out to everyone on here....why do we have such ineffective and dull "incisor" teeth....we really aren't very good at tearing meat with our teeth....we have many flat molar types that crush.....i.e. plants......are we really meant to be vegetarian anyway....cancer and heart disease and other ailments continue to rise....are we even supposed to be eating these animals anyway?

well there's this; likely to happen in the next decade:

http://invitromeat.org/index.php
http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/bio/eight-ways-vitro-meat-will-change-our-lives
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/04/invitro_meat

and now: back to lost toronto!

f1568_it0363.jpg

f1568_it0364.jpg

s0376_fl0002_it0101.jpg

s0376_fl0004_it0093.jpg

Personally I thought the pig with the sunglasses was a refreshing reminder of a time when the world wasn't so obnoxiously politically correct. The short shorts the guy wore hearken back to a time when people were more free-spirited.

Today's standards are both good (food safety) and bad (everything about meat seems so antiseptic and hospital-esque now).

Back