News   Jul 04, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 486     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 526     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Many years of using the TTC......

In Toronto absolutely makes me agree with the statements that getting across the city from end to the other and away from the subway lines is pure hell. It's a crime that this city has such underfounded and unreliable service out in the burbs.

It just takes forever, multiple transfers and requires infinite patience. I don't know if the TC LRT lines will really help or not but it's embarassing to live with the shame of knowing that getting around in this city with no subway nearby is practically impossible.

Maybe in 40 years this will be different but I doubt in my lifetime I will ever see any network of trains and LRTs that connect in such a way that you can sweep across the city in any direction without taking over 2 hrs doing it.

And every single person I know that has travelled to europe and asia, come back and just cry about how lame our system is.....

Its closer to be a reality.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualite...nger-le-metro-une-entente-signee-sous-peu.php

To resume the article, here are the main points.

1-The mayors of the 3 cities (Montreal, Longueuil and Laval) will sign in a few days an historic agreement to convince the provincial government to build and ''complete'' the metro network (20 KM to be completed within 10 to 15 years)

2-The 3 administrations made the commitment to work together to integrate the other transit networks (suburbs, commuter trains) to maximize the benefits of the investments who could reach 3 billion dollars.

3-The signature of this agreement also aims at answering the wish expressed last winter by the Minister for Transport Quebec, Mrs. Julie Boulet, who invited the mayors of the three big cities with put together a common inspiring project that would contribute to increase the value of metropolitan transit.

4-In Montreal, the blue line (North crosstown) would be extended by 5 KM and 5 stations towards the east to Anjou via St-Leonard and Villeray. This was annouced and studied for the past 25 years.

5-In Laval, Both end of the orange line would form a loop with the extension of 6 KM and 5 stations.

6-In Longueuil, the extension would give service to major areas on the south shore. The mayor submitted a plans to link St-Hubert airport to Longueuil subway station (6 stations, 8KM)

7-The government is waiting the signature of all 3 mayors before making any comments. Subway extensions are usually paid 100% by the provincial government with today's rules.

My comment is :
The GTA cities needs to work together to make sure that everyone gets what they truly deserve.

This just came in:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Mayors+agree+Montreal+metro+expansion+report/1916155/story.html

Last edited:
16 new stations by 2025. Hardly complete though ... I see the folks in NDG are screwed yet again, with the Blue Line not going west of Snowdon ... yet tons of expansion in the 'burbs (sound familiar?).

Seems comparable to our expansion, the SRT expansion and Spadina expansion should add 10 new stations here by 2016 or so. Presumably by 2025 we'd have the 6 new Yonge line stations as well. And by then we'll be debating the tunnelized pieces of Eglinton, whether they are "subway" or not ... (or perhaps we'll simply be having a petition to close the Sheppard LRT and replace it with a stubway :))

Seems comparable to our expansion, the SRT expansion and Spadina expansion should add 10 new stations here by 2016 or so. Presumably by 2025 we'd have the 6 new Yonge line stations as well. And by then we'll be debating the tunnelized pieces of Eglinton, whether they are "subway" or not ... (or perhaps we'll simply be having a petition to close the Sheppard LRT and replace it with a stubway :))

The DRL could be getting built by 2025ish, too. Maybe.

16 new stations by 2025. Hardly complete though ... I see the folks in NDG are screwed yet again, with the Blue Line not going west of Snowdon ... yet tons of expansion in the 'burbs (sound familiar?).

I do agree NDG is the missing link along with Lachine. I know that for the blue line, it has to go through Hampstead and Cote-St-Luc before reaching NDG. Since those city are not part of Montreal and are against subway stations on their territories maybe it complicates things for the STM who just gave up...

My comment is :
The GTA cities needs to work together to make sure that everyone gets what they truly deserve.

actually all three municipalities of Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill, worked together to put forward the Yonge extension, the only municipality that is not working well is Toronto, who is trying piggyback a whole bunch of extras on the extension.

actually all three municipalities of Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill, worked together to put forward the Yonge extension, the only municipality that is not working well is Toronto, who is trying piggyback a whole bunch of extras on the extension.

Extra's like DRL?

Its a no brainer that without it, the Yonge line will be a disater and won't work
Where your team player spirit?

Extra's like DRL?

Its a no brainer that without it, the Yonge line will be a disater and won't work
I really have to wonder about those who just want to push the Yonge expansion without any concern of the rest of the network. The Yonge line is barely functioning now. Yonge-Bloor is already a safety hazzard during rush-hour. Increased frequencies and capacity on the trains will only go so far (especially with the new Finch LRT and Eglinton LRT increasing the loads onto the Yonge subway). The only way to work is to make capacity available on the Yonge subway. Even a short Pape-Queen no-stop subway would achieve this (think Waterloo and City line). A DRL isn't an extra ... on the other hand, stations between Pape and Queen might be :)

Montréal tram route "announced"

21 August 2009

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/10/montreal-tram-route-announced.html

CANADA: On August 14 the city of Montréal released a study into proposals for a new tram line which had been commissioned from a consortium of Genivar and Systra.

The consultants recommend that the first line should begin in Old Montréal, then take a serpentine route following Peel, De La Commune and Berri streets and René Lévesque Boulevard , then Guy and Côte des Neiges, to terminate at Rue Jean-Talon.

The initial segment would serve city centre businesses and offices, universities and hospitals and could attract up to 80 000 weekday riders. The study proposes future extensions on Rue Sainte-Catherine, Avenue du Parc and Pie-IX Boulevard .

Mayor Gérald Tremblay is a strong supporter of trams, and is pushing for the first line to open by 2013. Montréal’s last streetcar line was scrapped in August 1959.

Métro network to be extended

Through parts of Montreal, Laval and Longueuil; project estimated at more than $3 billion
BY JASON MAGDER, THE GAZETTESEPTEMBER 16, 2009

1997702.bin

According to the proposed $3-billion métro extension plan, the Blue Line will spread east with stations in St. Léonard and Anjou; the Orange Line will stretch north of Côte Vertu to the Bois Franc area; and the Yellow Line will reach deeper into Longueuil with five new stations.

MONTREAL – The Quebec government will announce a major extension of the métro network Wednesday through Laval, Longueuil and parts of Montreal.

Transport Minister Julie Boulet has scheduled a press conference for Wednesday afternoon at the Berri-UQÀM métro station, and Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay, Laval Mayor Gilles Vaillancourt and Longueuil Mayor Claude Gladu will also be there.

A media invitation said there will be an important announcement about the métro. While the press attachés for Boulet and the mayors would not say more, a source told The Gazette that Boulet has accepted an agreement by the three mayors to extend the métro by about 20 kilometres.

“The métro will be extended,†said the source, who spoke on condition that no name be used. “I just don’t know the details about what has been accepted and what the time frame is.â€

Last winter, Boulet asked the Montreal region’s three principal mayors to identify a common goal to improve transport infrastructure. Several weeks ago, the mayors came to an agreement about how the métro should be extended, and presented it to her.

According to the plan, the Blue Line would be prolonged east by five kilometres with stations in St. Léonard and Anjou. The Orange Line would stretch by six kilometres from Côte Vertu to the Bois Franc area at the north end of the island, and then to Laval, where additional stations would be added before a loop is completed with the Montmorency terminal. The métro’s Yellow Line would extend eight kilometres to five new stations in Longueuil, including the Pierre Boucher Hospital and Cégep Édouard Montpetit.

The agreement calls for the métro extension to be completed over a period of 10 to 15 years.

The provincial government will pay the cost of new tunnels and new métro cars, estimated at more than $3 billion. Municipalities would be on the hook for the transit systems’ operating costs and some of the cost overruns.

On hearing the news about a métro extension, Jean Léveillé, president of the transit advocacy group Transport 2000 Quebec, said he was overjoyed.

“Bravo Madame la ministre,†Leveillé said. “We’re always in favour of extending the métro. It means more service and will result in more users of public transit.â€

At Wednesday’s news conference, Boulet is expected to outline a time frame of when the project will be completed.

Construction of the Blue Line extension could begin as early as next spring, however.

André Lavallée, the vice-chairman of Montreal’s executive committee, recently told La Presse that the Quebec government would like to get the extension project under way as quickly as possible.

“This project has already been well researched and it could be launched very quickly,†Lavallée said.

“It’s exactly the kind of project the Quebec government is looking for, because it could help to restart theeconomy.â€

jmagder@thegazette.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Last edited:
Fantastic news for Montreal! All these extensions are needed. Good to hear about transit announcements all across Canada lately. I read the article and the three extensions will add 20 Km of Metro to the network and a more stations to serve Montreals commuters.

Last edited:

Back