News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

That's for streetcar though with more frequent stops - you can see that from the 20 km/hr speed. Would be more over 25 km/hr with only stops at Berri, St. Laurent, and University - perhaps closer to 28 km/hr.

Is there no freedom of information access in Quebec?
Yes but not to an organization like CDPQ. They studied the same number of stations.

Yes but not to an organization like CDPQ. They studied the same number of stations.
Also true of construction consortiums here. But they'd be submitting a lot more than this to the ministries, agencies, and politicians, that are all subject to FOIA (at least here). I'd have thought the local news organizations and community deaths would be FOIAing them to death.

That's for streetcar though with more frequent stops - you can see that from the 20 km/hr speed. Would be more over 25 km/hr with only stops at Berri, St. Laurent, and University - perhaps closer to 28 km/hr.

Is there no freedom of information access in Quebec?
There is a stop at University? What street is that?

4 stations and over 20 intersection crossings in 3 KM. Very unlikely to reach high speed in that segment if you want to achieve the kind of frequency CDPQ is aiming for.

There is a stop at University? What street is that?
I thought there were only 2 proposed stops on René-Lévesque west of Berri, with the second (terminus) between University and ... I guess it's Mansfield to the west. Did I miss something? I wasn't looking a a map.

4 stations and over 20 intersection crossings in 3 KM. Very unlikely to reach high speed in that segment if you want to achieve the kind of frequency CDPQ is aiming for.
3 km? That would take you to somewhere near Papineau! I was just thinking of ground surface from around Berri. Ideally, I'd drop down west of Berri, and close some more of the smaller intersections ... Union(?) and Beaver Hall Hill (gosh, that must have been renamed by now ... Coté-de-Castor?)

That would make the pedestrian flow downtown much simpler. Though if there's a way to put the transfer station at Berri at grade, or below grade, that would probably be advantageous too.

Last edited:
Robert Bourassa, the street has been renamed south of Ste-Catherine.

Ah I see. According to Google Maps, it is actually south of Sherbrooke.

1609961842515.png

I thought there were only 2 proposed stops on René-Lévesque west of Berri, with the second (terminus) between University and ... I guess it's Mansfield to the west. Did I miss something? I wasn't looking a a map.

3 km? That would take you to somewhere near Papineau! I was just thinking of ground surface from around Berri. Ideally, I'd drop down west of Berri, and close some more of the smaller intersections ... Union(?) and Beaver Hall Hill (gosh, that must have been renamed by now ... Coté-de-Castor?)

That would make the pedestrian flow downtown much simpler. Though if there's a way to put the transfer station at Berri at grade, or below grade, that would probably be advantageous too.

niftz I believe you are referring to the station at Robert Bourassa and RL?

The 2 stops west of Berri are St. Urban and Robert Bourassa. There is no university street there...(the name is changed to RB back in 2015).

I agree that we may likely end up with a different downtown alignment altogether, given the strong opposition towards building on RL (which I think are justified due to reasons summarized in a previous post). There are also suggestions to instead build terminus station further east with Metro Papineau.

Last edited:
niftz I believe you are referring to the station at Robert Bourassa and RL?
University last time I walked down that bit. It's called Bonaventure further south.

Oh ... looks like it has been renamed recently.

Really? You create confusion over this? Wow ... it's still called University just a bit further north.

What a bizarre renaming. Keeping Dorchester in Westmount was because it's a different city, and voted against the change. But why rename only part of a street?!?

LOL ... the intersection of Bourassa and Levesque ... was that deliberate?

University last time I walked down that bit. It's called Bonaventure further south.

Oh ... looks like it has been renamed recently.

Really? You create confusion over this? Wow ... it's still called University just a bit further north.

What a bizarre renaming. Keeping Dorchester in Westmount was because it's a different city, and voted against the change. But why rename only part of a street?!?

LOL ... the intersection of Bourassa and Levesque ... was that deliberate?
Times change. We no longer in the 70s. Street renamings happen all the time, even in beloved Ontario. It's only confusing because you've moved to TO and haven't lived in MTL since...? :cool:

Anyway, I digress. The future western Terminus for REM-B will be Robert-Bourassa, located on Robert-Bourassa Blvd.

Times change. We no longer in the 70s. Street renamings happen all the time, even in beloved Ontario. It's only confusing because you've moved to TO and haven't lived in MTL since...? :cool:
I just haven't walked over University recently ... I was walking alone Rene-Levesque from Central (Metcalfe?) westwards not long before lockdown started. And wandering near Bonaventure during the summer (well the last summer worth mentioning :) )

I think you are incorrect when you say it was renamed in the 1970s. Must have been in the last few years.

Which makes me wonder how you were unaware that it used to be called University! You must be a recent transplant.

I just haven't walked over University recently ... I was walking alone Rene-Levesque from Central (Metcalfe?) westwards not long before lockdown started. And wandering near Bonaventure during the summer (well the last summer worth mentioning :) )

I think you are incorrect when you say it was renamed in the 1970s. Must have been in the last few years.

Which makes me wonder how you were unaware that it used to be called University! You must be a recent transplant.
My grandparents say university, and my parents some times, most people know it as both, but under 30 year olds its Robert Bourrassa

My grandparents say university, and my parents some times, most people know it as both, but under 30 year olds its Robert Bourrassa
It was not renamed 30 years ago ... it was surely recent. I certainly haven't walked past it since it was renamed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-Bourassa_Boulevard_—_University_Street

On August 27, 2014, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre announced that the part of University Street through Downtown Montreal would be renamed Robert Bourassa Boulevard, after former Quebec Premier Robert Bourassa. The portion of the street stretches from Notre Dame to Sherbrooke Street. Only a small section of the street, between McGill University and the former Royal Victoria Hospital, would retain its original name. The official change took place on March 15, 2015.

Back