News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Montréal Transit Developments

Here what is included in the 2020 QC government budget for transit.
Screenshot_20200310-162003.jpg

The proverbial napkin drawing:

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-le-2020-03-10-a%CC%80-14.52.41.png
Well the napkin maps have better chances of getting built than all previous governments' proposals, especially the Laval REM line to Côte-Vertu. It's actually a great idea and would cost much less than a metro extension. This is surely the CPDQi thinking, I haven't seen any ARTM or STM documents on the subject.

This was posted on MTLurb. Amazing how much was done on the aerial section in less than a construction season.

REM construction resumes next Monday as with it the closure of the Mount Royal tunnel.
Basically what the Eglinton Crosstown could be like had we gone with elevated design instead of partial street level LRT (obviously an apples to oranges comparison but still...). Hopefully Crosstown's future easter/western extensions could be built this way.

Basically what the Eglinton Crosstown could be like had we gone with elevated design instead of partial street level LRT (obviously an apples to oranges comparison but still...). Hopefully Crosstown's future easter/western extensions could be built this way.
But then again compared to last year, the surface section has progressed really quickly. We already have electrification occuring there and we have our first station completed on the surface section. Wouldn't be surprised if the surface section has all it's rail done by the end of the year with most of the station shelters done.

But then again compared to last year, the surface section has progressed really quickly. We already have electrification occuring there and we have our first station completed on the surface section. Wouldn't be surprised if the surface section has all it's rail done by the end of the year with most of the station shelters done.
Yes, but in one year the REM will be achieving that of what took 10 years for the Crosstown. I dislike the Crosstown, like too many transit projects it's a mish-mash of compromises.

Yes, but in one year the REM will be achieving that of what took 10 years for the Crosstown. I dislike the Crosstown, like too many transit projects it's a mish-mash of compromises.
TBH, I don't think the two are completely comparable, but both instances strengthen the argument for surface right-of-ways (and stations!) over tunnelling where possible.

On a side tangent, I wonder how fast the elevated portions of the UP Express near the airport were erected?

I was surprised that the REM was the first time a launching girder (segmental concrete box girder viaduct construction) was used in Quebec (whether for rapid transit or highway bridges)
Vancouver's Millennium Line was built using launching girders 20 years ago and Quebec contractors like SNC Lavlin would have been involved.
The famous Chillon Viaduct in Switzerland was built using the segmental box girder method in the 1960s.

Back