News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 623     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 905     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Yes, exactly. The trackage already extends long enough for there to be a Poirier Station if they so choose to want to build it.
Though presumably they'd want tail-tracks too - though perhaps not with the new garage.

We see similar here ... Line 4 is built west of Yonge, all the way to where the station box for Senlac station would start. And the most recent design for the Line 1 extension to RIchmond Hill went all the way to where the station box for 16th Avenue station would be.

That's not true at all. The garage is being built on a totally different alignment than the extension to Bois-Franc.

Dan

Thanks for your input, but I'm going to go with the article over your conjecture.

"The line between Côte-Vertu metro stop and the Bois-Franc train station is three kilometres but a metro tunnel was built years ago covering half the distance.
Only 1.2 kilometres remain, and work has begun to build a new garage to store the Azur metro trains at the end of that tunnel."

Thanks for your input, but I'm going to go with the article over your conjecture.
How is that possible?

The STM website says the new garage is between Grenet and Marcel-Laurin (the 117) - five blocks west of Decarie.- and you can see the hole in the ground on Google Maps, at the northwest corner of Thimens and Grenet.

The existing platform runs under Decarie, and gently curves to the west.

Looking at the STM website you shouldn't trust Global. They are only using a short distance of the existing (grey) tunnel. But most remains unused to connect to the garage, which has an entirely new connection. Though there appears to be a walkway from the end of the existing tunnel to garage.

Yes, exactly. The trackage already extends long enough for there to be a Poirier Station if they so choose to want to build it.
Almost ... you can see where the tunnel ends, in the diagram above - at the emergency exit about 280 metres south of Poirier on Grenet (1639 Grenet). With the platform being about 150 metres long, they'd need some track to get to the start of the platform.

Last edited:
So the CDPQi is under media fire because of internal documents stating that the consortia could be up to two years behind on work. The CDPQi vehemently denies that the project will be late, on the contrary it's ahead of Schedule.

On more interesting news, the CDPQi and the City of Montréal announced that there won't be any Bassin Peel station but will be replaced by a Griffintown station and potentially a Pointe-St-Charles station if a stadium is built.

The ARTM has done early costing of the Orange line loop extension. Remember that in Québec, costs include financing. Three more years of studies (lol) would be needed for the pre-preliminary studies, then after the EAs could start, then after that 2 years of detailed engineering would be necessary. Hence the phase 2 of the REM would probably start construction before the ARTM has finished doing the business case. 2031 opening date if everything gets approved...

Last edited:
So the CDPQi is under media fire because of internal documents stating that the consortia could be up to two years behind on work. The CDPQi vehemently denies that the project will be late, on the contrary it's ahead of Schedule.

On more interesting news, the CDPQi and the City of Montréal announced that there won't be any Bassin Peel station but will be replaced by a Griffintown station and potentially a Pointe-St-Charles station if a stadium is built.

The ARTM has done early costing of the Orange line loop extension. Remember that in Québec, costs include financing. Three more years of studies (lol) would be needed for the prelimary studies, then after the EAs could start, then after that 2 years of detailed engineering would be necessary. Hence the phase 2 of the REM would probably start construction before the ARTM has finished doing the business case.

I hope they don't cheapen out on the Orange Loop extension. It's disconcerting that a station at Terminus Carrefour Laval is not being considered.

I have a bit of a different take on the REM, and after reading almost the whole thread i've noticed that noone has made it yet.

Many critics (and many @Urban Sky posts) have noted how the REM poorly serves suburban areas, and ignores parts of the city that would most benefit from greater service. That so much of the stations are surrounded by low value greyfield and industrial areas.

I think that's an asset, and a huge opportunity. My position is that a major design consideration of the entire project from the start of CDPQ's involvement has been catalyzing TOD construction. (or if you want to be cynical, real estate opportunities for Ivanhoé Cambridge )

We can look at stations like du Quartier, Panama, nuns island, Bassin peel, A40, Sources, Technoparc, Fairview and Kirkland. All of them have massive intensification and development potential.

If you think of the project more broadly in the scope of sustainable development, these areas will allow for many tens of thousands of new residential units, transit accessible retail and office spaces to be created, and greatly limit the need for future auto dependency in these areas (note how little new parking is planned around any of the stations, aside from the dix30 terminal). This is bolstered by the fact that Montreal's regional development plan (the PMAD) requires substantial increases in density and mixed uses in areas designated TOD. So there is less room for NIMBYism than normal.

My hope is that the REM will sow the seeds for a massive influx of affordable, accessible, sustainable suburban living that will be close enough to the city center to take a lot of the pressure off many currently gentrifying areas.

One of the greatest flaws i've seen in Toronto transit planning is how much the need for parking has destroyed the ability of stations to encourage development.

All those GO stations with those massive parking garages could have instead been massive new neighborhoods. As an ex student of York University, the new Subway stations are a massively underwhelming.

On the other hand I am very excited by Mississauga's Hurontario LRT and its integrated zoning and development plans.

As Nfitz has said, the south shore has been planning for rapid transit for 20 years now. Which is why the city of Brossard has a very aggressive development vision already signed and ready.

This video they made a few years ago is really exciting, and a template that I hope many other areas will copy:

Last edited:
I have a bit of a different take on the REM, and after reading almost the whole thread i've noticed that noone has made it yet.

Many critics (and many @Urban Sky posts) have noted how the REM poorly serves suburban areas, and ignores parts of the city that would most benefit from greater service. That so much of the stations are surrounded by low value greyfield and industrial areas.

I think that's an asset, and a huge opportunity. My position is that a major design consideration of the entire project from the start of CDPQ's involvement has been catalyzing TOD construction. (or if you want to be cynical, real estate opportunities for Ivanhoé Cambridge )

We can look at stations like du Quartier, Panama, nuns island, Bassin peel, A40, Sources, Technoparc, Fairview and Kirkland. All of them have massive intensification and development potential.

If you think of the project more broadly in the scope of sustainable development, these areas will allow for many tens of thousands of new residential units, transit accessible retail and office spaces to be created, and greatly limit the need for future auto dependency in these areas (note how little new parking is planned around any of the stations, aside from the dix30 terminal). This is bolstered by the fact that Montreal's regional development plan (the PMAD) requires substantial increases in density and mixed uses in areas designated TOD. So there is less room for NIMBYism than normal.

My hope is that the REM will sow the seeds for a massive influx of affordable, accessible, sustainable suburban living that will be close enough to the city center to take a lot of the pressure off many currently gentrifying areas.

One of the greatest flaws i've seen in Toronto transit planning is how much the need for parking has destroyed the ability of stations to encourage development.

All those GO stations with those massive parking garages could have instead been massive new neighborhoods. As an ex student of York University, the new Subway stations are a massively underwhelming.

On the other hand I am very excited by Mississauga's Hurontario LRT and its integrated zoning and development plans.

As Nfitz has said, the south shore has been planning for rapid transit for 20 years now. Which is why the city of Brossard has a very aggressive development vision already signed and ready.

This video they made a few years ago is really exciting, and a template that I hope many other areas will copy:

It's an interesting take, and it probably wouldn't surprise anybody if that is indeed part of CDPQ's business case and long term objective for this project.

No way to tell until the dust settles - which should be fairly soon given the pace of construction in South Shore and West Island - we should be expecting at least 1 of the REM lines to be operational in the next 2-3 years.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/lo...-getting-anti-suicide-barriers-at-13-stations

Last time I heard, Montreal STM is planning on installing platform doors across 13 stations on the Orange Line. I don't know how far along is the project, but they've budgeted it to be $10-15 per station.

The STM will launch the bidding process for platform screen doors in mid-2020.

Prototype doors will be installed and tested at an undisclosed orange line station throughout 2021-2022.

Afterwards, doors will be deployed to all the 30 other orange line stations between 2023 and 2026

The doors will be 2.5m high.

I think PSD's are one of those things that snowballs. Look at Asia, they're at the point where even HSR lines have some kind of PSD's. Hopefully other cities in Canada follow suit, Ottawa Vancouver and Toronto I am looking at you.
Let's hope they plan the Ontario Line with PSD's.

Back